Duck Hunting Forum banner

Bass Pro Shop

4K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Bullfrog26692 
#1 ·
Is it just me or is Bass Pro Shop a joke these days. I go in the place because they are having a huge hunting sale expo. The waterfowl section is garbage. A wall full of Redhead decoys and nothing but Duck Commander gimmick gear. I like the guys and I like for what they stand for, but I can live without a huge display of Uncle Si tea cups in the gear section. The clothing section is just as bad. I saw a bunch of Redhead and over priced Drake gear, that was it. Two tiny bags of Raffia grass and very limited decoy rigging supplies. If you don't live close save yourself a trip. Is there a decent place in Hampton Roads area to buy some gear? I know I can get anything online, but its nice to try before you buy.

#3 ·
Only hit BPS to look at their boats. Only buy stuff there when on sale. Avoid redhead gear.

I prefer green top if buying "local"

I don't really buy a ton of waterfowl gear each year, don't understand what people have to buy EVERY year.

#9 ·
dwbiggs said:
That duck commander crap is everywhere...I'm afraid a monster was created by Duck Dynasty...its way old already, wish they would go away. Oh...and ye...BPS sucks! :no:
the kardashians of duck hunting :fingerpt:

#11 ·
China will make and print anything and one is born everyday that will buy the trash as long as it has something on it like a duck head or a birds shadow with its feet down . I have always been a big fan of drab colors that one doesn't find in the sports section . You got to love something camo on the outside and white on the inside , the trick is to never wash the dang thing .
Now with that said , I do like going into BPS and other like stores to see what's new and see how I can make something or find something that can do the same thing at more then half the cost at another store .

:smile: LD :wink:

#12 ·
Yes BPS is bad. I had been checking the local BPS for waterfowl stuff all summer. Gave them the benefit of the doubt. Hit the store the first weekend. As far as I could tell they did not stock anything new. Same 2 or 3 boxes of Avian X decoys that had been there all summer. No BF boxes but they display them. I could go on and on.

On the other hand....was at greentop Friday night. They are stocked up good!!

#13 ·
hampton bass pro has never had any good waterfowl stuff. Since they put it in the back corner it has gotten even worse. I have bought a few things from them but not much.

#14 ·
I went to a Walmart in Arkansas when hunting out there several years ago and they had better gear then BPS. I admit I have purchased several hunting items from BPS over the years. A bird strap, shells, mojo and a decoy slot bag which fell apart after one season. One thing that was better than Cabelas...waders. The pair I bought from Cabelas lasted two hunts and came apart. The pair from BPS, Three years and still doing great.

#19 ·
Imaduckn said something about Rogers so I went to have a look and found this ground blind on sale put here is the problem with online shopping . what is the thickness , what kind of frame does it have and countless other questions come to mind and a tightwad like myself will miss the chance to pay a good price for the type of blind I'm looking for .
Sasquatch Shooters Ridge Hunting Blind [AT-40520]

Blend into your surroundings with the Sasquatch pop-up ground blinds from Shooters Ridge. Offering multiple windows that can be silently adjusted in a multiple of configurations and dozens of brush ties and loops, the Sasquatch gives hunters the edge when pursuing game at the ground level.

There's even a roof opening and dog access door for use in waterfowl situations. Blind folds to fit a backpack style transport bag (included) that features padded shoulder straps, compression area for extra gear, removable gear pouch and sternum strap for extra load control and comfort.

Medium Blind dimension: 58" x 58" x 66"

Camo: Realtree AP HD

Shooters Ridge Hunting Blind Shooters Ridge Hunting Blind
AT-40520
Price: $199.99 $99.99
Is this a good ground blind ?

:smile: LD :wink:

#20 ·
goosesmacker said:
Bullfrog26692 said:
Is it just me or is Bass Pro Shop a joke these days. I go in the place because they are having a huge hunting sale expo. The waterfowl section is garbage. A wall full of Redhead decoys and nothing but Duck Commander gimmick gear. I like the guys and I like for what they stand for, but I can live without a huge display of Uncle Si tea cups in the gear section. The clothing section is just as bad. I saw a bunch of Redhead and over priced Drake gear, that was it. Two tiny bags of Raffia grass and very limited decoy rigging supplies. If you don't live close save yourself a trip. Is there a decent place in Hampton Roads area to buy some gear? I know I can get anything online, but its nice to try before you buy.
BF, has Hampton's BP improved the waterfowling sections since you posted this thread?
I'm going again next week because they did have some nice quality dove shells for 7.99 a box...probably going to get another 10 boxes before they are wiped out, if not already. Of course by default I have to go by the waterfowl section so I will give an update. I'm going during work hours on the man's dime anyway so why not.

#21 ·
Just could be..... Ran into an old friend up at BP today,now in the Waterfowl dept., def knows his way around the waterfowling world &has alot of experience setting up a related dept! We talked quite a bit about what's shaking with the ducks& geese but also about what that stores plans are...and his plans too.... Just saying, may be some changes made up that way,for the better! just saying :beer:

#22 ·
swampbilly 1980 said:
NOVAggie said:
Avoid redhead gear.

I prefer green top if buying "local"
You've got a looong way to drive to get to Green Top now don't cha'? :yes:

Avoid Redhead gear-
I bet you are, but by default-

Is this you now,.. on the way to the "blind"? :yes: :hi:

Yes it is, but made it there when I was in VA last week. MUCH better than the old place and 10 times better than gander was.

Haha no, no Poncho Villa for me. Although over Labor Day we are staying at a hacienda he used to stay at. I have a line on quail hunting down here now too. So bird season may turn out pretty good this year. My duck contact moved to Texas..hope he makes a few trips home, haha.

#23 ·
mountairyplantation said:
BPS blows. The Redhead brand is garbage too.
I have found anything that is supposed to be waterproof leaks and everything that is supposed to float fills up with water... Redhead is a ripoff for crap jap product

waders, decoys, decoy gloves, boots, all garbage. Will go there for shotgun shells but that is about it

#25 ·
lbhansford said:
mountairyplantation said:
BPS blows. The Redhead brand is garbage too.
I have found anything that is supposed to be waterproof leaks and everything that is supposed to float fills up with water... Redhead is a ripoff for crap jap product
If it was made in Japan, it would actually be half decent. But I guess all Asians are the same to you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.