Anyone hunt Marsh Hens (rails) in flooded rice fields?

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

Anyone hunt Marsh Hens (rails) in flooded rice fields?

Postby Joe Guide » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:08 am

Anyone ever hunted marsh hens in Arkansas? I am aware that there is some limited amount of rail hunting in SE MO flooded rice fields for Sora Rail as they migrate down the Mississippi Flyway in September, however as Arkansas is known more for its duck hunting, I wanted to ask if any AR Wildfowler ever did much marsh hen/rail hunting as the Sora and King rails prefer flooded wild rice fields.

It is really excellent hunting, although quite a labor intensive sport traditionally involving poling a boat.

I wanted to ask if there were any hunters that hunting Marsh hens in AR during the early season set aside for marsh hen hunting.
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Re: Anyone hunt Marsh Hens (rails) in flooded rice fields?

Postby Claybird » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:07 pm

They caught my interest last fall while we were cutting rice. I didn't use a boat as we had already drained the fields. Instead I walked the levees and shot them on the jump. Didn't do it but a couple of times. I would like to try it again this year.
Claybird
hunter

Re: Anyone hunt Marsh Hens (rails) in flooded rice fields?

Postby Joe Guide » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:26 am

You would probably see much more of the smaller "Sora rail" mostly in your Arkansas Rice Fields, and perhaps even some larger King Rails, and alot would depend on how much water is in your rice fields, during harvesting your rice.

There is also some rail bird shooting in SE Missouri as well in their rice fields and low fresh water marshes. Try grilling those rail breasts and you got some good eating! My new hunting book: "The Rail Bird Hunter's Bible" came out in May 2012, and is the first hunting book written in the USA about Rail Bird Hunting.
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting