Short Reed or Flute?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Short Reed or Flute?

Postby fireman17 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:34 pm

For a beginner which would be easier to start with short reed or a flute? :help:
I just want to shoot some birds!
Don't worry I brought extra shells!!
fireman17
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:43 pm

If your just starting, just start a shortreed. It will make it MUCH easier...

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Drew Willemsen » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:28 pm

Short Reed
Supreme Waterfowl Action Team
"We Don't Flock Around!!"
www.TheSupremeWaterfowlActionTeam.com
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:55 pm

I just got a short reed and I think it is way harder then a flute. It might be because I am used to blowing one. I am getting the hang of it now. Short reeds has a bigger varity of sounds they can make.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Drew Willemsen » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:24 am

If you are going from a flute to a short reed be prepared to parctice a lot, it is a totally different principal behind using each. The main thing would be not to "blow" into the short reed like you do in the flute, but instead "grunt" from the bottom of your stomach like you are fogging up a piece of glass. I hope this helps someone....keep up the practicing... :smile:
Supreme Waterfowl Action Team
"We Don't Flock Around!!"
www.TheSupremeWaterfowlActionTeam.com
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:14 am

I just started using a short reed. I like using my eastern shoreman flute for long distance and as they are getting closer. But wanted to use the short reed as they are circling before the commit. The flute just seems way too loud for up close. The short reed seems to need heavy grunting air to blow well and the flute does not sound good at all with a heavy grunt. Its hard to do the change back and forth. I guess I need to pracice the changing air velocities some more.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:35 am

This guy is just starting calling, so a shortreed will probably be easy for him to pick up. Guys who are used to a floot have a tougher time on the shortreeds because they blow into them and it breaks the reed and sounds like a kazoo......
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Giv'em3 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:30 am

Short reeds are much harder to learn, but well worth it in the end.
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:28 pm

yes short reeds are harder to blow, but in the long run, you are better off getting a short reed because of the versatility. I switched from a flute to a short reed a long time ago and it's one of the best decisions I've made.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:21 pm

I can't blow a flute for the life of me, but a short reed was easy for me to learn. More like a duck call.
hawkdog
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:51 pm

id say learn the shortreed.....might be a lil harder but it will be alot harder going from flute to shortreed than starting with a shortreed then if you want to get a deeper sound then go to the flute.
duckbuster
hunter

Postby remslider » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:15 pm

i would say start with the short reed. If you learn on the flute it is alot harder to pick up the short reed. Try the Honker Talk video by Shawn Stahl, it is well worth the $ for learning the short reed call and practice as much as possible.
remslider
Newb

Postby labman45 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:03 pm

I have started with a flute and it was a bigriver its a call that u can control easily and produces a great sound
labman45
hunter

Postby C_DUbb » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:21 pm

As a call maker I would say go with the short. BUTT have someone around that knows how a short reed works. Tuning and techniques. I think going from a Flute to a short reed is difficult because the techniques for a flute are different and you end up reverting to flute type calling. IMO it works but you are not getting the full advantage of the short reed. Dont get me wrong,, I will still pull out the Flute every now and then.

C DUbb
Callem in your face close!!
And
Do em
UGLY!!!
C_DUbb
hunter

Postby Mallard Krazy » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:03 am

I would go with a short reed. If you are looking for a quality instructional tape Fred Zink's "The Ancient Art of Paralyzing" is the one. It is cheap and well worth it. Like anything in life, you must work at it in order to be effective.
Mallard Krazy
Newb

Postby honker88 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:18 pm

SHORT REED!!!----------------Tim Ground or Hunter Grounds r both SWEET calls
honker88
hunter

Postby duck hunter cam » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:51 pm

Short Reeds only way to go.
It's only sky busting if u miss.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Postby duckman1106 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:00 pm

archeryrob wrote:I just started using a short reed. I like using my eastern shoreman flute for long distance and as they are getting closer. But wanted to use the short reed as they are circling before the commit. The flute just seems way too loud for up close. The short reed seems to need heavy grunting air to blow well and the flute does not sound good at all with a heavy grunt. Its hard to do the change back and forth. I guess I need to pracice the changing air velocities some more.

I wouldn't do that if I were you. If you can pull it off, then great, but you are probably going to end up with alot of sour notes. That would be like swinging a baseball bat, then a golf club. The two are very similar, yet take different techniques. My guess is the first time you get a big 'ol group of honkers coming in, you'll pick up the short reed and blow into it instead of grunt. Either that or you'll put a big heavy grunt into your flute...yuk! :eek:
The Mallard Militia: We kill more ducks before 7:00 am than most people kill all day!!
duckman1106
hunter

Postby brdprey » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:31 am

short read.............
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:28 pm

:withstupid:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gunney » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:42 am

I've got to tell you that I agree with everything that has been said. I started on a Big River flute, but switching over was the best thing i could have done. Now I can bareley even blow that flute. Go inexpensive and make sure you get a GOOD instructional. A few have already been stated, but I'm a huge fan of Stahls video. Remember... technique is the most important factor when using a short reed.

One last thing to leave you with... If I can learn it, you can learn it.

Good luck
Gunney
Oh Crap! You pillow-cased that sumbitch!

Setting up meetings between Geese and God since 1992...
Gunney
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum