places to hunt

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

places to hunt

Postby beginner hunter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:25 pm

does anybody know of spots to hunt mallards and wood ducks along the potomac river near clear spring
beginner hunter
hunter

Re: places to hunt

Postby Skeet123 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:18 pm

Are you just getting into duck hunting?

There are special regulations for hunting the Potomac I would start by looking at the MD dnr site. Finding birds is mostly all about spending some time on the river.

:welcome:
Skeet123
hunter

Postby beginner hunter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:25 pm

I am trying to hunt a creek or a lake I really need to find a spot
beginner hunter
hunter

Postby beginner hunter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:51 pm

and yes this will be my first time duck hunting
beginner hunter
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:25 pm

beginner hunter wrote:I am trying to hunt a creek or a lake I really need to find a spot

you and me and all of us. good luck. potomac is dicey at times, watch the weather, river levels, go watch birds, find a friend to go with. not smart to do it alone.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:53 am

tell us a little more about yourself beginner hunter. Do you hunt other animals or are you just getting into hunting in general? How old are you, where you're from, etc.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=227236

Cyclocoastie made a good first post introducing himself to the MD forum and got everyone talking on a good note with him. I would suggest possibly using his template to get started getting to know some of the guys on here before talking spots
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:01 am

ohioboy wrote:
beginner hunter wrote:I am trying to hunt a creek or a lake I really need to find a spot

you and me and all of us. good luck. potomac is dicey at times, watch the weather, river levels, go watch birds, find a friend to go with. not smart to do it alone.

I will second the danger of the river. It is not smart to hunt alone, especially when the weather is duckiest. Best duck hunting is the most dangerouse weather, and I have already had 1 body float by my decoy spread 2 years ago. I prefer dead bodies not ruining perfectly good hunts. If the birds are really flying well, Id feel guilty grabbing a stick and poking your body out of my decoy lines to keep floating to the next guy so I could keep hunting :wink:

Seriously though, find a buddy and be safe when youre hunting water. Falling in when its cold ruins a hunt, but no duck is worth dying for.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:52 am

If you want to find the best spots on the river, figure out what Buzz drives and follow him around, I have gotten some of my best spots that way!!! :thumbsup:

In all seriousness there are not good spots on the river, and if there were no one on here is going to tell you about them. Get a yak or a canoe and do some scouting, thats how I have found my favorite areas.
Lefty26
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:59 am

and Beth asks why I sell my truck every 2 or 3 years.

I do get a kick out of noticing the same couple trucks following me when I scout. I like taking them on wild goose chases :rolleyes:
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:28 pm

One opener my buddy had a dynamite spot lined up, birds were hitting it good. So he convinced me to take the day of work so we rolled to this spot and started setting up dekes. Out of nowhere headlights come zipping across the field and some other guy with permission shows up. Long story short we decided to leave to avoid confrontation/violence.

We ended up hunting in a pumpkin patch trying to run traffic on birds from a roost pond. You havent lived until you hunted the opener in a pumpkin patch.
Lefty26
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Where was that patch again? I could go for some pumpkin pie. :thumbsup:

GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter