Input from maxus owners

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Input from maxus owners

Postby GMC2500HD » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:17 pm

Want to hear some input on the browning maxus. Likes/dislikes/accessories/finish on the gun. If you don't mind price paid I am trying to get a rough idea on a real price on this gun.
GMC2500HD
hunter

Re: Input from maxus owners

Postby dukcommander » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:21 pm

Had one for a year now. Awesome gun.absolutley no complaints. I think I payed 1375 after taxes at bps. May be on the higher side but I had a bunch of gift cards to go towards it.
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby cootlover » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:47 pm

I thought dukcommander shot mossberg :biggrin:
cootlover
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:50 pm

The one I had was a great gun. Only had one issue with the original gas piston spring. I had that piston sealed and I also ordered a new piston from Browning. I ran the sealed piston for a couple seasons and then ran the factory piston for a while. The new piston had a different colored spring (brown instead of silver) and I never had any problems with it. It threw beautiful patterns but I always had guns with raised ribs and I never could get used to the flat rib on the maxus so I sold it. Some people have had issues with the duratouch finish but mine help up great. I like the ultra flat finish of the camo that Browning uses a lot better than the camo on my SBE2 that gets kind of shiney after a while.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:32 pm

I have a Maxus Sporting 30" Carbon Fiber in 3" , love the gun and the way it handles because it has a flat rib and flatter
finish than a SBE II :yes: :hi: I've had no problems with the spring in the piston but , I traded for a sealed piston just to see
how much of a difference it would make ( NON ) as far as the way it operates ,but , it does shoot cleaner as I've run 450
target loads through it in one day and all I had to do was , wipe the piston down and put a drop of Miltec oil on it .

3200 man
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:54 am

So far I have sent my maxus back once. Not sure what the cause of the problem was. It wouldnt cycle. Problem developed over a 6 month period of time, during which I started shooting heavier and heavier loads until remy hypersonics wouldn't even cycle. I think the finish is durable enough. Over the next 10 years I expect the finish will degrade but I plan on just sending it back to be refinished. I LOVE the oversized trigger guard. Hunting late season and not having to remove my gloves to shoot is nice. I like the 3 shot plug system. The forearm is great. No overtightening and not being able to get the screw cap off. Recoil is manageable, it still whallops good with hypersonics. Overall I am very happy with this purchase. I paid $1075 for it.
Last edited by HuntsCTRiver on Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby Red Huck » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:32 am

I think this will be season 4 for my Maxus. Been back to browning once ,new spring in the stock & carrier latch. They took their sweet time with it . It work fine before the spring broke during dove season . And its works fine since I got it back.Just love the feel and fit of this gun. Good look!Payed about About 1200 3 1/2 MODB at bps.
Red Huck
hunter

Postby GCox25 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:00 am

Coming into season 3 with mine, just a 3" MODB duck gun. The only problems I have ever had was cycling 2-3/4" #8 loads for dove. I clean mine after nearly every hunt and have never had a misfire with duck loads. I love it, it's lightweight, points great for me and the recoil is hardly noticeable. I think I paid $1100 at the time and it is by far my favorite shotgun.
GCox25
hunter

Postby kbooger » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:36 am

Only have owned mine about 4 months, shot my best score ever at skeet with it. I've only used 2 3/4 factory (1 1/8oz) loads with it so far. Had a couple light primer strikes but I think that was the ammo because it hasn't happened since. I probably have 200 rounds through it. I really like it. Think I paid $1400 (its the 3.5 MODB) before tax.
kbooger
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:54 pm

I bought an older one new on sale for $999. I lucked out and it was one of the earlier ones with the trigger issues. The first shot wouldnt go bang.

I sent it to Browning and they fixed it. Well 200 rounds later it was doing the same thing.

I still had the sales slip and box so I took it to Scheels a year later and they exchanged it. They gave me the choice of any shotgun they had in stock! I walked out with a Maxus. I even upgraded to a 28".

Maxus the Second is absolutely amazing!!! The recoil and muzzle jump even on heavy 3.5's is nothing. I run 3" shells and compared to my old Beretta Urika 2 they feel like light 2 3/4". Browning really has something going on recoil reduction and muzzle rise.

I ran mine last year in a 10 degree weather and in a blizzard/whiteout. No issues. I clean it with Hornaday One Shot and it keeps on chugging.

The only issue is sometimes I'll trap the trigger, not allowing it to fully reset after a shot.Thats the only issue.

Fit is okay, I have short arms so about the only shotgun that fits me is my wifes SX3 compact without any shims lol!

The DuraCoat finish is really nice to grip and the gun is lighter than most. Makes carrying easy.

So if you get one dont go used, make sure its new production!
Takeem406
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:59 pm

Thank you guys so far on the input any more input is much appreciated. My only problem now is trying to find one at a local retailer to go and shoulder one so far i have hit 3 shops and haven't had much luck, hope Bass pro has a few in stock because i am heading out their at the end of the week, if it fits like a glove i may be a maxus owner by next week.
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:15 am

Coming up on the second season with my Maxus. No problems so far. I am very happy with it. I will have to wait and see how it holds out.
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter

Postby Tony Mc Cann » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:33 am

Had my maxus from September 2011 and no problems so far,i have a grade 3 with a 3" chamber and 28" barrels,roughly 2500-3000 shells through it mostly 32-36gram steel and no misfires although I do strip it and clean it after every hunt,i have been shooting feral pigeons for pest control at an animal feed holding yard 3 times this summer and each time I have shot 250 shells in under 2 hours all 32-36gram steel loads and the gun kept goin,a friend had a box of 24gram 7 steel shells and it cycled them no problem at the end of the days shooting so I was well impressed.Hope this helps.This is my first auto so cannot compare to other guns but im happy with my choice.14 days until the duck season starts here in Northern Ireland hope you all have a good season :beer:
Tony Mc Cann
hunter

Postby .243 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:18 am

I have hunted one for 3 seasons. 3 1/2" chamber, 28" barrel, MODB finish. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
The gun is light, fits me perfectly and the gas system really helps with recoil. The balance is very, very good. I have used the magazine cut off feature twice for incomming geese and both times it allowed me to get the duck shell out and the goose shell in and helped make the goose dead. The large trigger guard is good with the gloves but not so big as to be out of place or in the way.

I have had it fail to cycle the lightest of the the light shells from W-mart at the range, but never an issue with normal skeet or duck loads. I normally use 3" shells with it, but once had to shoot 3 1/2 Hypersonics (nothing else available), and the gun cycled so fast that the bolt slammed forward before the spent shell ejected causing a jam. I have not had this problem with 3" Hypersonics or any slower 3 1/2" shell.

It does not like dry lubes with teflon in sub freezing temps. I don't use teflon based lubes anymore. Any normal gun oil or CLP or Rust Check is great. I have patterned it extensively with the factory chokes and I am unable to get a bad pattern out of it. The geese die well and there is no need for me to get an aftermarket choke.

I keep it clean clean clean. Once I found out what it didn't like the gun has been very happy.
The gun ain't perfect (every semi has its issues) but have no regrets. I have about 1000 shells through it.

Paid 1336 (guns are more expensive in Canada). The gun is worth every penny.
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:02 am

I couldnt ask for a better gun! Mine has been 100% flawless, it functions well and shoots great. I have a few thousand rounds through it.

cant say a paid price because mine was a HS graduation gift.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby dverrill » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:47 am

Got mine a few months ago in modb. I've only shot 2 3/4 at clays with no issues. The finish is awesome. Easy to clean after shooting. Can't wait to get it into the blind and really test it out.
dverrill
hunter

Postby bobalong » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:02 pm

This will be my third season with a Maxus, gun has worked well so far with no issues. The retail for about 1300.00 but I got mine for less than that.

bobalong
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum