Teal in Fields?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Teal in Fields?

Postby WoodDuckHunter98 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:05 pm

I'm rather new to waterfowl hunting so i apologize if this is a dumb question. Will teal land in fields? Was driving down the driveway earlier this evening and saw what looked like a flock of 25-30 teal flying over the bean field. I stopped and watched them circle a few times before they dropped down into a waterway. I walked out there a little later and found feathers and poop in the waterway. It's only about 20 yards wide and the ground is really marshy with lots of vegetation. Would teal land in this even though there is no standing water or was it another species of duck that I saw?
2013/2014 Season
Mallards: 0
Wood Ducks: 2
Teal: 3
Shovelers: 1
WoodDuckHunter98
Newb

Re: Teal in Fields?

Postby BlackFoot777 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:22 pm

I have shot teal in a bean field that got flooded and then went down. The only water left was in small puddles scattered all over the place. So maybe if you get more rain it will develop puddles also, you never know.
BlackFoot777
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:15 am

I can't say I have ever shot a teal in a dry field. Flooded field yes.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:57 am

EVERY gw (and that's dozens) I've shot in Prince Edward Island were in potato fields!!! but have never seen a black there!

Now.....down here in the south (Maine) it's over water.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting