late summer project

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

late summer project

Postby yukoncornelius » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:53 am

yeah, the glass work is sloppy......just want it strong and watertight.....it's going to be painted and grassed, pretty doesn't matter ;)

next up will be reinforcing the transom with plywood and glassing it in......need to stuff the nose with foam and build a bulkhead and glass that in.....add some ribs to the interior floor....build a splashguard all around the cockpit.....add a few handles and cleats.....build a motor mount...paint

i've got a 2.5hp coming my way, too

still thinking i can get it done for first week of duck season :grooving:
yukoncornelius
hunter

Re: late summer project

Postby 733SubDucker » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:24 pm

very cool. Good luck!
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby lazydog » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:30 am

nice!!! what motor?
lazydog
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:24 am

Nice rehab of a sailboat!! It will lead a happier life as a gunning float!

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby yukoncornelius » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:08 pm

getting there

the motor mount is mocked up and has one solid layer of resin encasing it

need to attach it, cut it to the proper height, and give it a solid 2nd coat of epoxy

the ribs on the bottom need at least one more coat of epoxy

then i do believe it is paint prep time

she's ugly, but she'll hunt
yukoncornelius
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:56 pm

Yukon-had me fooled =when I first saw the pile of rubble-I thought what the hell is he going to make out of that ??--Then I saw all the hard work going on and you moved your Toilet closer to the project-from the outhouse by the pool, I thought this guys either a Genius or He has that dreaded Duckincurelitus !!--going to be deadly-next time try the combing material of plastic under glass.--Yukon stated -She may be ugly but she hunts--Lost a great hunter to Duckincureiltus--and Dammed Ugly- She Won every Blue Ribbon at Fryeburg --just walking by the Live Stock areas !! --miss her SOW !! :wink:
decoycarver
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:48 pm

I actually think she is kinda sexy.

How is the weight?
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Looks fun Yukon- nice creativity there! :clapping:
R-Factor
hunter

Postby yukoncornelius » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:10 am

weight shouldn't be terrible.....i am thinking all told it is going to be under 150.....but it is going to be a little bulky

i should be able to drag it up onto the flat trailer alone if i really wanted to, and can get the trailer close enough to the hand launch.....but i think it will be mostly a two man operation

i do have a place to keep it docked....but at least initially i think i want the flexibility of trailering it
yukoncornelius
hunter

Postby cjg » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:30 am

Looks like a fun project :smile: Hopefully it holds up ok, looks like you lost a lot of the integrity of the hull by cutting the big hole in the top. The bulkheads and ribs you added should help alot, but it looks like a weak spot to me on the front at the edge of the coaming. JMHO. Can't wait to see some finished pics.
cjg
hunter

Postby yukoncornelius » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:56 am

that bulkhead added to the front makes a huge difference......i can't flex the deck (at all) or hull (hardly at all) with the maple & cedar coaming, the ribs and the front bulkead glassed in......the whole front is stuffed with foam and spray foam......2x4's all around, bulkhead screwed/epoxied in and glassed over

i really didn't make the hole any bigger in the front than i had to, but to cut the molded cockpit out, that's pretty much where i had to go....

i was going to add knees or posts to support the deck on the edges and in the front.....but they really aren't needed....all the wood really stiffened it up
yukoncornelius
hunter

Postby yukoncornelius » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:44 am

needs one more coat of base, then the marshgrass stencil job

i've also got to rig something up across the cockpit for grass mats to rest on......either ropes or removable PVC pipes

will paint the motor base coat today as well

yukoncornelius
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:59 am

I likey.

yukoncornelius wrote: i've also got to rig something up across the cockpit for grass mats to rest on......either ropes or removable PVC pipes

Have you thought about making short 'doors' or 'flaps' out of hog wire that could fold down to load or shoot?
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby yukoncornelius » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:11 am

thought of a lot of things ;)

i bought cabelas woven grass mats....one will be cut to cover the nose and rear decks

two others are 4'x4', and should lay right over the front 2/3 of the cockpit nice......they will roll up small and light and are easy to get out of the way.....i am really leaning towards rigging up a couple of pieces of PVC or rope across the cockpit at 3' intervals, and just laying the mats over the top

plan is for one or two guys to sit with their backs against the rear bulkhead......the mats would cover probably right up to their knees or more......i might use the wire idea to rig a hood if it seems necessary.....
yukoncornelius
hunter

Postby Paddles Down » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:06 pm

Nice job Yukon! That us one sweet rig. Thanks for posting all the pics as it progressed too. I'm curious to see how she rides in the water. I want to build a boat so bad just have been way to busy. Someday I will though. I love stalking posts and gleaning ideas! :beer: get some duck blood on her and she'll look even better!
Paddles Down
Paddles Down
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:50 am

Awesome transformation! Looking forward to seeing the finished unit! I need a summer project for next year..
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby yukoncornelius » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:02 pm

paint is done....all i need to do is screw in a couple of hooks and cut a few grass mats

yukoncornelius
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:54 pm

I continue to be impressed.

What is the weight capacity if you had to guess? I would like to make one of those.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:31 pm

my glass MM Boat-took those wire secure half rings -electric dept. big box store--black plastic-secured by short wood screws--these are used to run wiring--( big ones for conduit) --get the black ones--buy bungee cords by the yard thread through the fastened --wire holders--then you can stretch the sh-- out of the shock/bungee cord tie it off --then zip-tie grass , I get real and the colored fast grass in bags at Cabelas--lasted for 3 years-just dressed it up..If I could put pics on here ---
decoycarver
hunter

Postby yukoncornelius » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:35 am

sub - not sure - those sail boats tend to be pretty stable, and are built for two people with the mast & centerboard.....with all that removed, i think i'm pretty equal on the added weight.....pretty much all the foam that was removed was added back into the boat

i am thinking, based on what i've seen other guys do with these boats, i am thinking 2 guys and gear will be just fine

decoy - i've got a box of 4x4 woven grass mats from cabelas - one will get cut to cover the front/rear decks some.....the other two will get hung over the cockpit

once i see how that looks, i'll add a few bungees here and there for some vertical grass....so i'll check the wire rings
yukoncornelius
hunter

Postby cjg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:33 am

Looks Awesome :clapping:
cjg
hunter

Postby Dogman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:13 am

Very nice project,well done. :thumbsup:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting