Teal sightings?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Re: Teal sightings?

Postby quackhunter99 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Because its so early in the year... Pintails aren't close to migrating south yet. And the geographic location, they are a rare bird during the season anyways
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby marshnole11 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:48 pm

some of these birds head south sooner than you think. did he see pintails?? unlikely yes but not impossible. could be a winged bird who was paired up and the mate stayed with it. You see a good bit of winged ducks in the STA's. just ask the guys gator hunting in there.
marshnole11
hunter

Postby marblebelly » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:47 am

Yea, Why not? After all the refuge I hunt...(here in North California) ha ha! :tongue: probably is holding about 40-50 thousand pintails already! Of corse we have a lot more ducks here! Hope they follow me to Florida when I move out there next Spring! EPECIALLY the geese! They are thicker than flies on sh*t here! Looking forward to shooting Blue winged teal! I see BWT out here maybe once or twice a year... and NEVER seeany tree ducks! Good luck this season! :thumbsup:
marblebelly
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:33 pm

This was a thread about teal. The little ones with the colored wing patches, usually arriving in mid September.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby marshnole11 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:05 pm

big groups of Teal have been on the STA's for two weeks now. good thing I have a permit
marshnole11
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:51 am

whaknstak wrote:This was a thread about teal. The little ones with the colored wing patches, usually arriving in mid September.

I catch the little delicious feesh with blue on them Image
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:22 am

Several of those look short.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:58 am

whaknstak wrote:Several of those look short.

Blasphemy
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby TooheyBirdie14 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:11 am

Just because they aren't bulls doesn't mean they're not legal.. and definitely doesn't mean they're not tasty tasty tasty!!
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff....
TooheyBirdie14
hunter

Postby Tealwemeetagain » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:14 am

no size limit on mahi, dont accuse if you dont know your info. just comes off as stupid when your wrong
Go Noles
Tealwemeetagain
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:04 am

Tealwemeetagain wrote:no size limit on mahi, dont accuse if you dont know your info. just comes off as stupid when your wrong

Whoa Jr :fingerpt: . Inside joke between two friends. Ol whaknstak has a handle on his info and knowledge of the law and regs, I promise you.

Now.....who feels stupid?
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:42 am

Tealwemeetagain wrote:no size limit on mahi, dont accuse if you dont know your info. just comes off as stupid when your wrong

And to correct you there is a size limit. Minimum is 20"

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:11 am

Depends on where you're at...

Regulations (Minimum size length)
Gulf state waters: None
Atlantic state waters: 20" at the fork
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:14 am

tknight006 wrote:Depends on where you're at...

Regulations (Minimum size length)
Gulf state waters: None
Atlantic state waters: 20" at the fork

I was in Palm Beach, so Atlantic. Thanks TK

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:28 am

Man Joe, tough crowd :grin:

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:48 am

I wasn't being an arse with my comment, just in case it was conveyed as such. Heck, I've only caught one mahi in my life, and it was in between throw up sessions.

I can't pretend to even know the regs... I just pulled up the site. Its sad that a Navy guy (myself) gets sea sick anytime he leaves the jetties.... I will however put a hurtin on some redfish.

Limits are for suckers anyway... I shot a huge teal last year, FWC guy said it was a mottled... whats he know... looked like a teal to me..
tknight006
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:55 am

tknight006 wrote:I wasn't being an arse with my comment, just in case it was conveyed as such. Heck, I've only caught one mahi in my life, and it was in between throw up sessions.

I can't pretend to even know the regs... I just pulled up the site. Its sad that a Navy guy (myself) gets sea sick anytime he leaves the jetties.... I will however put a hurtin on some redfish.

Limits are for suckers anyway... I shot a huge teal last year, FWC guy said it was a mottled... whats he know... looked like a teal to me..

Your good tk. I was referring to Michaels inflammatory post. Preciate you setting the record straight

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:38 am

tknight006 wrote:I wasn't being an arse with my comment, just in case it was conveyed as such. Heck, I've only caught one mahi in my life, and it was in between throw up sessions.

I'm not butt hurt at all TK. You actually taught me something.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Hunter1987 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:44 am

Which STA is everyone referring too? I hunted STA 5 and 3/4 for gators this Friday & Saturday saw lots of coots and mottled ducks but no Teal were sighted. Also, no luck in the early teal STA draw, any suggestions on the STA that offers the best opportunity to get in line for a lottery pick?

Sucks sitting on the sidelines.....
Life is tough, it's tougher if your're stupid. Sgt. Stryker USMC
Hunter1987
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:35 am

Hunter1987 wrote:Which STA is everyone referring too? I hunted STA 5 and 3/4 for gators this Friday & Saturday saw lots of coots and mottled ducks but no Teal were sighted. Also, no luck in the early teal STA draw, any suggestions on the STA that offers the best opportunity to get in line for a lottery pick?

Sucks sitting on the sidelines.....

Hunter,

It sounds like all of your duck hunting marbles have been put into a sack labled "STA's". With only 5 days to hunt, I can't imagine even risking not getting picked in the Walk-in line, versus hunting somewhere else. I'm not trashing the STA's, heck, they're a blast... All Im saying is that there are many other opportunities where you are guaranteed the chance of harvesting a duck..

I'd rather be guaranteed a starting role on an average team, then sit on the bench for a good team.

Trey
tknight006
hunter

Postby Tealwemeetagain » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:14 pm

hahaha my bad now im the a**hole now. everyone knows all the good fishing is in the gulf anyways
Go Noles
Tealwemeetagain
hunter

Postby Jon32391 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:14 pm

Saw two teal and some black bellied whistlers over the weekend. Then there was the resident mottled flock flying around. Hopefully start to see some more in the next couple weeks. Early season is getting close!
Jon32391
Newb

Postby Coonrod » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:35 am

Saw a couple more HUGE teal yesterday.
Maybe they were mottleds.
Coonrod
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:49 am

Hard to believe you have a vast number of overgrown teal.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:31 am

Jon32391 wrote:Saw two teal and some black bellied whistlers over the weekend. Then there was the resident mottled flock flying around. Hopefully start to see some more in the next couple weeks. Early season is getting close!

Not sure where you are located, but this seems to be the exact same thing I saw.... Curious if we're scouting the same location.
tknight006
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Florida Duck Hunting