Free Youth Waterfowl Contest Sponsored by Duck Recon

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Free Youth Waterfowl Contest Sponsored by Duck Recon

Postby duckrecon1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:21 am

Duck Recon is an organization dedicated to youth waterfowling (www.DuckRecon.com). In support of our Mission and Vision, contest and other special events are held AT NO COST to youth participants. The objective of Duck Recon’s contest and events is to build some excitement for the youth and motivate them to want to get out into the blind to hunt. Our main event that we organize and run is our Annual National Youth “Duckman of The Season” contest for youth 17 and under with the focus on “time” spent hunting vs. bag limits. This contest is built for fun, youth hunt anywhere they want and is based on the honor-system. We simply ask participating youth to send us their weekly hunting activity during the season and we record “points” earned based on their activity. Youth are broken down into Divisions and Brackets based on age and top-point earners will receive a trophy while all others receive a participation medal. We simply want to recognize the youth for their efforts and as such every participant will receive an award and "Bracket" winners will receive a trophy at the conclusion of the season.

All through the season participated can view their standings on our “Leader Board” that is updated and posted weekly on our website. Attached is a link to last season’s Leader-Board - http://www.duckrecon.com/30.html. Last season we had over 183 youth days in the field registered with youth in 3 different States.

We are now launching the 2013-2014 season contest and want to open it up to any and all youth. Simply go to the Contest and Event page at www.DuckRecon.com to learn more and register - http://www.duckrecon.com/7.html.

Once again, there is NO COST to participate in the “Duckman of The Season” contest and is just a simple and fun way to get our youth excited about getting out into the blind.

Thank you for your help in making this duck season fun and enjoyable to our youth.

Jim Roche - President
Duck Recon
jroche@crmsinc.net
jroche@duckrecon.com
duckrecon1
hunter

Re: Free Youth Waterfowl Contest Sponsored by Duck Recon

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:14 pm

Introducing the youth of today to waterfowling is essential to the ducks and the future of our sport and should be applauded, However I see something in the Contest that I think gives the wrong impression to the youth and that is the awarding of points for each duck killed. I've long taught young hunters that if you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason. This isn't a fishing contest where the fish are returned to the water, again its not about the Limit. Perhaps instead of awarding .25 points for each duck killed, they could award points for the number of days hunted, for the number of ducks called in by the youth and not dad or uncle Joe, points based on the weather, more points for inclimate hunting verses bluebird days etc. Also getting rid of the number of ducks point system it would make the contest a bit fairer, for example I have a private lease next to a National wildlife Refuge on a major part of the flyway, my grandson can kill a big number of ducks per hunt , how would this be fair to a youth a 100 miles to the East with only a farm pond or reservoir to hunt. We need to teach our youth, its not about the kill, its about the getting together with friends and enjoying the great outdoors, the bag we get is just a bonus
Last edited by cluckmeister on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby duckrecon1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:11 pm

You make a valid point in that the focus should be on "getting out" to hunt and not bag limits. That is why the point system was set up that the hunter gets 3-points for each day hunted and only .25 for each bid taken. It is designed so that in order to win your Bracket you need to get out into the Blind.

This is the 3rd yr hosting this contest and we ran into issues the first yr when we only had "points" for days hunted. We had a lot of ties and since there is a trophy for the Bracket Winner we needed a method to "break ties" so we added a small point value for birds taken. The "key" to winning your Bracket is to get out and hunt.

Last year of our 10 Brackets ..... 4 of the bracket winners only took 2 or less birds all season.
duckrecon1
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Duckrecon, I can see where days afield only was a issue and there were ties. That's why I suggested getting rid of the ducks killed points and awarding points for birds called in by the youth, it would teach the kids how and when to call properly also awarding points on the weather would give the kids really interested in the sport a bonus. An example might be 1 point would be awarded for hunting on a 50 degree plus day, 2 points for 40 degrees, 3 points for 30 degrees etc., 1 point for bluebird weather and 2 points for rain and snow. Its just a thought you might consider for the future
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby duckrecon1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Great ideas! Didn't even think of those.

You have given me a lot to think about for next year's contest and I do want to find another point system to resolve ties and get rid of points for birds taken.

Maybe I will see how this year's contest goes and see just how many "ties" there would be for Days-in-Field points only per Bracket. If the amount in low ........ maybe we just award "co-winners" for those Brackets.

Thank you once again!
duckrecon1
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:25 pm

If my ideas give you cause for thought then I feel honored. Again I applaud what you are doing to get todays young people involved in our sport. Waterfowling is something I've enjoyed for 40 years, its not for everyone and so be it. Ive had a lot of upland hunter friends that don't understand the sport at all. I simply tell them that there's something about getting up at 3:30 and driving out to set decoys, sitting in a Marsh 45 minutes until dawn and watching it come alive, the smell of a wet Chesapeake, drinking coffee from an old Thermos that's seen its better day, blowing a Olt duck call that's aged thru the years as much as I have, and maybe never firing a shot, that unless they have been there they will never understand
cluckmeister
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting