Pool 4

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Pool 4

Postby Dan R » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:19 pm

Interested in hunting Pool 4. Anyone know it? I'd like to learn more about the area. Can anyone help.
Thanks
Dan R.
Merrill, Wi.
Dan R
hunter

Re: Pool 4

Postby Rhock19 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:34 pm

never heard much of pool 4 but pool 8 and 9 hold large numbers of birds
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Dan R » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Not familiar with the location of 8 & 9. I'll have to look it up and see where it's at. Thanks
Dan R.
Merrill, Wi.
Dan R
hunter

Postby recker » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:14 pm

I would not recommend it myself since i hunt pool 4 and 5 or at least I did until this year. Got in on a lease this year and will do my Dakota trips as well. The crowds last year on the river finally did me in(watching guys shoot at 110 yard birds all afternoon was enough). Once they changed the refuge in 2008 the area you can hunt is small unless you want to hunt in the woods. It holds alot of divers now but they are out in the open areas and rarely come into the areas you can hunt. Lots of hunters in a small area basically and no reason for divers to fly into the woods when they have the whole open pool to hang out in. Pool five was really good but has become a zoo since they changed the refuge at pool four. Before the change you maybe saw a couple of other hunters on a tuesday and now you will see twelve. I had some luck getting away from other hunters but not like it used to be. The birds get skyblasted and educated really fast. Now of course on certain weather days both pools can still be good. However, if you have stale weather your probably wasting your time IMO.

Of course I hear pools 8 and 9 are just as crowded if not more crowded.

Good luck.
recker
hunter

Postby Dan R » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:40 am

recker wrote:I would not recommend it myself since i hunt pool 4 and 5 or at least I did until this year. Got in on a lease this year and will do my Dakota trips as well. The crowds last year on the river finally did me in(watching guys shoot at 110 yard birds all afternoon was enough). Once they changed the refuge in 2008 the area you can hunt is small unless you want to hunt in the woods. It holds alot of divers now but they are out in the open areas and rarely come into the areas you can hunt. Lots of hunters in a small area basically and no reason for divers to fly into the woods when they have the whole open pool to hang out in. Pool five was really good but has become a zoo since they changed the refuge at pool four. Before the change you maybe saw a couple of other hunters on a tuesday and now you will see twelve. I had some luck getting away from other hunters but not like it used to be. The birds get skyblasted and educated really fast. Now of course on certain weather days both pools can still be good. However, if you have stale weather your probably wasting your time IMO.

Of course I hear pools 8 and 9 are just as crowded if not more crowded.

Good luck.

My plan was to hunt the flooded timber north of the refuge. Is this not a good idea? If it's not, any recommendations?
Thanks
Dan R.
Merrill, Wi.
Dan R
hunter

Postby recker » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:43 pm

Give it a try if you are set on hunting pool 4. I am only sharing my experience and I mostly hunt afternoons when it is less crowded( still crowded). Good luck if you go and post up on how you do.
recker
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting