Youth Football

Discussion of football, baseball, hockey, basketball, Nascar, etc..

Moderators: gotduck68415, HoCoHunter

Youth Football

Postby Deano » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:16 pm

My youngest son, 10, is in his second year of football. Just won their first round playoff game tonite 18-13.
Over the past two years they are 17-1 in regular season and 2-2 in the post season. It's a blast to watch these 4th grade boys battle it out on the field!

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby greenhead88 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:47 pm

Sorry i hate to say this but this is a forum where you speak your opinion.

I am really against letting kids play little leage football untill they are at least in 6th grade. I am graduating high school this year and i have played 7 years of football that is alot of ball. At that young of age your bones are extremely week. My home town is starting kids in 5th grade and i think that is a bad mistake and i believe kids could be come possibly burnt out on football all together by the time they are ready for varsity football. I also think that little league football puts a unrealistic picture of the game in little kids mind.
greenhead88
hunter

Postby keestan31 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:39 pm

well i would have to say i do not agree with greenhead88....we start little league football at 6 in southeast texas and i played from 6 all the way through highschool and loved every minute of it...i would not change anything...it is great watching the little ones battle it out on the field
keestan31
hunter

Postby Ducks4Coach » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:10 pm

My God, here we go. Why don't we then stop letting kids play T-ball, they might trip over 1st base and break their (week) bones. Good tense of the word there greenhead. Better yet, let's stick all kids in a bubble so they will never have any physical contact. Sissify today's youth.

Little league football has been going on for years now. If it was such a big risk of injury to the kids, they would have stopped playing it years ago. But the fact that the game itself teaches kids a structured and organized system of contact, the game continues as it should. As with the positive benefits with youth sports, I will definately let my kids choose the sports that they want to play. There is no wrong sport.

Greenhead, do your research about youth sports and injuries directly related to the sport, other than negligence injuries. You will find that a higher percentage of injuries comes from youth during their adolescent age (13 to 27).
-Coach

Going for 50!
Ducks4Coach
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:35 am

I also don't agree. There are very few injuries in youth football...and I loved every minute that I played. I think letting the little guys play gives them a better picture of the game that they will play later. It will also help with their ability to learn new plays and techniques.

Burnout...well, I would say that they didn't care enough about the game to keep playing. I couldn't play enough football and baseball to keep me happy.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Bruno » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:19 am

I think anything that gets them away from the XBOX is a good thing.
Bruno
hunter

Postby Ducks4Coach » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:51 pm

Bruno, great point. Even at my age in the mid-20's, outside is the best playground. My Playstation only comes on during the rainy days.
-Coach

Going for 50!
Ducks4Coach
hunter

Return to Sports