Who's getting ready?

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Who's getting ready?

Postby goldfish » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:49 am

I have just started getting the hunting stuff ready. Trying to figure out some long line stuff, going to paint up some decoys, freshen the boat paint where it's rubbed off, but I have to quit working so much first, and the weather has been to nice to not be on the lake. Only thing I've done so far is find my long line anchors when I did the girlfriends brakes
uploadfromtaptalk1376668143863.jpg

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Re: Who's getting ready?

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:29 am

I haven't done anything but next week I'm gonna have to get it all together cause im off to school and won't be back until opener.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:44 pm

Good work on the anchors. I'm thinking about buying a small bag of sacrete and making anchors in vegetable cans and using bent nails for tie offs. Trying to find the cheapest way.

Gonna reprint some goose floaters now...looked back at my archived PM's and a guy gave good advice. Now I just need to go and do it. I'll take before and after pics and show everyone. Hope they turn out.

Also just bought new blind grass. I think the store had it marked wrong...it was marked $13.99, but there were 4 - 4'x5' panels in each pack. Might be bad of me, but I bought 5 packs. Can never have too much. Maybe the Tanglefree brand is cheaper than Avery. I guess I'll find out after rebuilding my scissor blind on my boat.
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:26 pm

Darn Game Fair got me all excited so I've been busy. Finished the boat blind just need to hang netting. Dyed a a bunch of raffia. Picked up some decoys off CL (that I didn't need but were a steal). Tuned up and serviced the mud motor. Gonna go do some scouting this weekend. Might try flocking some goose floaters if I get ambitious.
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:12 pm

Well, here are some pics of the decoys I am repainting. They are a life size Herter's decoy. Got the decoys from a friend that got them on trade. About a month after we used them, the paint started chipping off. Well, this was right after Herter's went out of business so we couldn't warranty anything. We have used the decoys as a filler but I needed to repaint them. Here is the result.

The left picture is a decoy in its original paint and unscrubbed. The right one with the head missing is after I scrubbed them to get all the chipping paint off and the back one is the final product. It was easy to do and took maybe a half hour to do, and I assume it will go faster now that I kinda know what I am doing.

Any improvements needed? I will take any criticism on them you want to give.
Attachments
image.jpg
The final product
image.jpg
Original paint, scrubbed decoy, and final product
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:31 am

If you don't stand on your head, I bet it would only take ten minutes :D

That paint job looks really good. I'll try and take some pictures when I paint up my decoys too

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:39 am

suicidal_scaup wrote:Well, here are some pics of the decoys I am repainting. They are a life size Herter's decoy. Got the decoys from a friend that got them on trade. About a month after we used them, the paint started chipping off. Well, this was right after Herter's went out of business so we couldn't warranty anything. We have used the decoys as a filler but I needed to repaint them. Here is the result.

The left picture is a decoy in its original paint and unscrubbed. The right one with the head missing is after I scrubbed them to get all the chipping paint off and the back one is the final product. It was easy to do and took maybe a half hour to do, and I assume it will go faster now that I kinda know what I am doing.

Any improvements needed? I will take any criticism on them you want to give.

That'll fool em

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby kbooger » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:34 am

I'm ready, finally hearing geese and seeing them flying. I'l probably have to sleep at my spot on opener :no:
kbooger
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:21 am

Damn...are the pics upside down? I am taking them on an iPad and must be holding the thing the wrong way. Sorry.
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:44 pm

suicidal_scaup wrote:Damn...are the pics upside down? I am taking them on an iPad and must be holding the thing the wrong way. Sorry.

Lol. Could be tapatalk too, who knows.

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm

Things are starting to rev up for me. Got the decoys rigged up and bagged. Got the boat primed and awaiting a fresh layer of tan paint. Got the motor tuned up. Put in a dog platform in the boat and awaiting for the paint job to build my blind, I got the new Banded axe boat/shore blind that I am extremely excited about. Lastly, I have to go out scouting with a buddy of mine to find our youth waterfowl day spot that we are taking youngster out to on the 7th. Lots to do but I think I will get it all completed.
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:12 pm

Went to game fair yesterday and helped a buddy get his rig ready all afternoon.

I'll be installing new lights and tires on my boat trailer this week, and rigging new weights and cords on a couple dozen decoys.

Losing my mind waiting for season. Sporting clay therapy scheduled for this weekend

We're almost there....
:beer:
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:12 am

I gota new boat that's baby blue gota paint it still and build a blind for it. I'm workin youth hunt so I wont be able to take the kiddo out. Repack bearings in the trailer who knws when the last time they were packed.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:51 pm

Hopefully start getting ready this Sunday. Get the blind together and make sure the mojo battery takes a charge. Hopefully get a few busted up decoys patched up and ready. Can not wait for the season to begin.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby Mort » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:01 pm

We had pretty good luck on lakes last year with some divers so I've been adding a coat of paint to these guys the past few days

These were just some junky old mallard seeks I painted up
Mort
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:37 am

took the family out fishing which the wife wanted to do but It double for me as a scouting trip and I seen a good number of ducks and fair amount of geese the water level was lower then expected. be nice can hide boat and hunt with waders. hope to get couple more "fishing trips" in before season
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Put a light coat of camo paint over the new power hunter I just got. Basically the same thing as mudding it.

Gonna touch of the canoe I painted a few years back. The primer I used was okay but it's forever chipping off

POS duck commander spinner broke the first time I used it. Didn't wanna buy a new one so I drilled holes in the bottom a put the screws through there. Good as new except it sits a little forward so the duck coming I and landing looks like it's a out to take a nose dive right into the water.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Mort » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:36 pm

That decoy will still work Dan!!!
Mort
hunter

Postby Tgunz_64 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:22 am

I'm still behind on getting my gear together.next weekend ill have it ready and hope to also have a new coat of paint on the boat. Just gotta find everything
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:28 pm

I finished the frame for my boat blind Thursday night, I spent Friday night and this morning grassing it. Gotta mud the layout blinds and clean up the decoys still. I hope the geese start flying up here soon, I've seen 6 in the air in the last week, there's a fair amount of geese around, just not flying much.
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Mort wrote:We had pretty good luck on lakes last year with some divers so I've been adding a coat of paint to these guys the past few days

Ooh...I can't believe you called those foam blocks in the back rows "junky old mallards"! They look great though!
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Havent started yet...one last weekend on the lake for fish...
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1377386857261.jpg
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby therewillbeblood » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:52 pm

got the leaky decoys filled with foam. now we are just waiting on the gator trax boat my buddy ordered about a month ago. fingers crossed it shows up before the season because he already sold his old hunting boat. we may be kicking it old school in a 12 foot aluminum fishing boat come opener.
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby jpeterson117 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Got a fresh coat of paint up at duck camp. Gotta love free paint from recycling center. Worked on decoys and got the boat blind put back on. We came across an old roll in dock section that we are going to roll into buddies slough for a nice blind. Should be a good year!!
jpeterson117
hunter

Postby Mort » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:11 pm

suicidal_scaup wrote:
Mort wrote:We had pretty good luck on lakes last year with some divers so I've been adding a coat of paint to these guys the past few days

Ooh...I can't believe you called those foam blocks in the back rows "junky old mallards"! They look great though![/quote

The back has some foam cans too!!
Mort
hunter

Next

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting