Just legalize it already......

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:26 pm

Andy W wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:You're partially correct...."There are no absolutes"

Isn't that statement an absolute?

You're correct Andy. In a certain respect it is. I guess I consider all opinion as contextual in time and place. In this time and place I do not believe we have any absolutes. I don't believe we are incapable of ever knowing absolutes, and would, in fact, consider that as possibly our "raison d'etre"
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10724
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am


Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:33 am

corncob wrote:dumb it down so us pot heads can read this with out looking up words an stuff

:biggrin: If we actually have a "reason" to be here, perhaps that is it...to find an absolute.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10724
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:36 am

corncob wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
corncob wrote:im way too high to read this :biggrin: took me a hour on each of spinners posts
legal or not i will smoke it

If it only took you an hour, you must not be high enough. :oops:

i had to skip some lines here and there lost places while eating cheetos.

Don't concern yourself...it takes ALL of us an hour to read Spinner's posts! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10724
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Northcoast » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:46 am

I think it would be a lot easier to get it legalized if the was a reliable road side sobriety test to some how determine if you have been using recently
User avatar
Northcoast
hunter
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:54 am

Northcoast wrote:I think it would be a lot easier to get it legalized if the was a reliable road side sobriety test to some how determine if you have been using recently

Thankfully, nobody is driving under the influence of illegal drugs at this point :lol3:

It is certainly an argument people will make, but is it really a good argument?
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15896
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby assateague » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:48 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
Andy W wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:You're partially correct...."There are no absolutes"

Isn't that statement an absolute?

You're correct Andy. In a certain respect it is. I guess I consider all opinion as contextual in time and place. In this time and place I do not believe we have any absolutes. I don't believe we are incapable of ever knowing absolutes, and would, in fact, consider that as possibly our "raison d'etre"



:lol3: And you back up your argument against absolutes with a couple more absolutes! :lol3:
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:45 am

assateague wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Andy W wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:You're partially correct...."There are no absolutes"

Isn't that statement an absolute?

You're correct Andy. In a certain respect it is. I guess I consider all opinion as contextual in time and place. In this time and place I do not believe we have any absolutes. I don't believe we are incapable of ever knowing absolutes, and would, in fact, consider that as possibly our "raison d'etre"



:lol3: And you back up your argument against absolutes with a couple more absolutes! :lol3:

x2

So I'd be curious what the time and place is that Glimmerjim would believe it is acceptable for him to do something horrible to another human being simply for his personal enjoyment?

All individuals have equal rights, again a time and place argument and maybe those slave holders were not really wrong, if the time and place was right and how can we know since we weren't there.

Of course there are absolutes. Not many, but a few and that few has very dramatic implications. They are summed up pretty well in this very short phrase: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Now of course all people at all times will fall short of living up to these absolutes, which again is summed up pretty well in this very short phrase: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15896
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:31 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
assateague wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Andy W wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:You're partially correct...."There are no absolutes"

Isn't that statement an absolute?

You're correct Andy. In a certain respect it is. I guess I consider all opinion as contextual in time and place. In this time and place I do not believe we have any absolutes. I don't believe we are incapable of ever knowing absolutes, and would, in fact, consider that as possibly our "raison d'etre"



:lol3: And you back up your argument against absolutes with a couple more absolutes! :lol3:

x2

So I'd be curious what the time and place is that Glimmerjim would believe it is acceptable for him to do something horrible to another human being simply for his personal enjoyment?

All individuals have equal rights, again a time and place argument and maybe those slave holders were not really wrong, if the time and place was right and how can we know since we weren't there.

Of course there are absolutes. Not many, but a few and that few has very dramatic implications. They are summed up pretty well in this very short phrase:
SpinnerMan wrote: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,

One of the most undeniably inabsolutes I have ever read. Some are born with attributes that others do not even have the compreh
ension to conceive.
SpinnerMan wrote: that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

This is the same God that apparently condones, no, causes, stillbirths?
This is the same God that births all children in an environment of equal liberties?
This is the same God that has allowed the systemic elimination of those of different religions, skin colors, sexual preferences, ethnicities, and genders?

[/quote] Now of course all people at all times will fall short of living up to these absolutes, which again is summed up pretty well in this very short phrase: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God [/quote]

And now I have a big surprise for you.....I just won a 450 milion dollar lottery, (no one knows but I at this moment in time) and because I like your lack of animosity I plan on giving half of it to you. Now, regrettably, at this precise moment in time I find myself in a rather precarious monetary position, but rest assured that regardless of the inevitable outcome, the fact that you are the beneficiary of half of my winnings is an absolute truth!
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10724
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:33 pm

assateague wrote: I thought that's what liberals were all about- situational, ever-changing "morality". "There are no absolutes", "the world isn't black and white", I've been told. Well, then, practice what you preach.

Glimmerjim wrote: That's the biggest problem....you think you know what liberals are all about. You're partially correct...."There are no absolutes", "the world isn't black and white". Where, from that personal interpretation, you conclude that nothing bears any foresight or consideration and when faced with a multitude of possibilities the choice doesn't matter, as long as it is change for change's sake, it doesn't surprise me that you think liberals are fools. It takes a fool to interpret them in that manner. Change can be positive. It can be negative. It is up to us as reasoning animals to make the best decision at the time based on the information we have. If all data points to us having made incorrect decisions in the past, then yes, it probably is in need of change. If you stick to non-working policies, when the majority of data suggests we are in desperate need of change, yet refuse to change it for fear of the "liberal" boogeyman, then I think you need to rethink your habit of "practicing what you preach." Perhaps, and I mean nothing personally, what you are needing is not practicing what you preach, but opening your opinion set to include something worth preaching.

Glimmerjim wrote: The existing system has certainly been smooth sailing with nothing but fair seas on the horizon!


assateague wrote: One word for you:

Obamacare.

I hate da boogeyman. He scare me.
Last edited by Glimmerjim on Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10724
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:37 pm

Northcoast wrote:I think it would be a lot easier to get it legalized if the was a reliable road side sobriety test to some how determine if you have been using recently

A regular cornucopia of ifs, ands and buts there Northcoast. Marijuana has an ability to be detectable in the system for a MUCH longer time than almost any other drug. Also, the effect on hand-eye coordination varies greatly between people after having ingested marijuana, usually dependent on the frequency of their usage. I just don't see how it could be rationally and fairly implemented.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10724
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:41 pm

assateague wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Andy W wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:You're partially correct...."There are no absolutes"

Isn't that statement an absolute?

You're correct Andy. In a certain respect it is. I guess I consider all opinion as contextual in time and place. In this time and place I do not believe we have any absolutes. I don't believe we are incapable of ever knowing absolutes, and would, in fact, consider that as possibly our "raison d'etre"



:lol3: And you back up your argument against absolutes with a couple more absolutes! :lol3:

Exactly what "absolutes" did I postulate, AT? Those that I preface with "I guess", or those in which I include the terms "I don't believe" or "possibly"?
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10724
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby assateague » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Putting any of those phrases in front of something does not make it any less of an absolute.


"I don't believe that right and wrong exist"

"I believe that nobody can ever be perfect"

"I guess mankind is sinful by nature"


Samey-same.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby assateague » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:02 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:This is the same God that apparently condones, no, causes, stillbirths?
This is the same God that births all children in an environment of equal liberties?
This is the same God that has allowed the systemic elimination of those of different religions, skin colors, sexual preferences, ethnicities, and genders?



I see what you're getting at, but it falls short. Here's why- because for those who choose not to believe in God, statements like the ones you made above seem to support their position. But the reality is that statements such as those ignore the human actions which are most often the cause. God does not exist in a vacuum. He created us, and gave us free will. Specifically, in your third example, the Christian response would be "how did WE allow the systemic elimination of those of different religion?", because ultimately, humans are at fault.

There was no bolt of lightning which came from the sky and smote 6 million Jews. It was the actions of people which did that. Actions which other people allowed to happen. There was no flood tide of blood which washed blacks across the Atlantic ocean and placed them on plantations in the South. Those were the actions of people.

Even "acts of God" have consequences which are most likely human-based, albeit not always avoidable. For example, a hurricane which kills 1,000 people. It's easy to say "how can God let this happen?", when the reality is that God did not force people to build their houses on the beach. When a tornado flattens a town, it's just as easy to say the same thing, but people were the ones who chose to not build a concrete block house or something like that. I'm certainly not saying that people need to live in a concrete tube in the middle of Wyoming, 50 feet underground, but what I am saying is that we all make decisions, and those decisions have consequences. To blame those consequences on God, whether it is loss of a job, destruction of a house, or the Holocaust, is disingenuous. It is an attempt to remove all blame from the decisions made by people.

In regard to sickness and disease, there is no guarantee as to how long one gets to live. We all die- that is a simple fact. Honestly, does it matter if it happens in 100 years, 50 years, 10 years, or 1 year? Yes, it is sad, but what really does that mean? To a believer, death is not a bad thing, as we get to experience eternal life. To a non-believer, it shouldn't matter, because they feel you are just unfeeling worm food with no hereafter. In either case, death shouldn't seem to matter, should it? Yet it is trotted out quite often in the "how could God let this happen?" scenarios.

Nowhere does belief in God guarantee you an easy, pain-free life. Quite the contrary. So when I see statements such as those you made, it just makes me realize that there is a very large perception gap.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby jehler » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:21 pm

“There is nothing else than now. There is neither yesterday, certainly, nor is there any tomorrow. How old must you be before you know that? There is only now, and if now is only two days, then two days is your life and everything in it will be in proportion. This is how you live a life in two days. And if you stop complaining and asking for what you never will get, you will have a good life. A good life is not measured by any biblical span.”
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17115
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:24 pm

assateague wrote:Putting any of those phrases in front of something does not make it any less of an absolute.


"I don't believe that right and wrong exist"

"I believe that nobody can ever be perfect"

"I guess mankind is sinful by nature"


Samey-same.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10724
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:29 pm

assateague wrote:Putting any of those phrases in front of something does not make it any less of an absolute.


"I don't believe that right and wrong exist"

"I believe that nobody can ever be perfect"

"I guess mankind is sinful by nature"


Samey-same.

I suppose it does in my opinion, AT, Say the same things while leaving out the disclaimers:

Right and wrong don't exist (I had to change that one a hair to make it sensible.)

Nobody can ever be perfect.

Mankind is sinful by nature.

Now THOSE are stated as absolutes. They are not a conclusion formed by experience and subject to change. They are a statement of conceived fact.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10724
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:52 pm

Jim,

I see you have realized the foolishness of your statement and have starting throwing the red herrings all over the place :thumbsup:

Image

Glimmerjim wrote:This is the same God that apparently condones, no, causes, stillbirths?
If your life goes on forever, in the grand scheme of things does it matter whether you on on the Earth for 1 sec or 100 years, it is all but a negligible fraction of eternity and at the end of it you died of one cause or another.

But yes God causes death, if you want to phrase it that way. He causes life and he causes death. Your criticism seems to boil down to not having eternal life on Earth or are there "good" deaths that you are happy about. Please explain what they are and why. Not talking preferable, obviously more is preferable to less.

Glimmerjim wrote:This is the same God that births all children in an environment of equal liberties?
This is the same God that has allowed the systemic elimination of those of different religions, skin colors, sexual preferences, ethnicities, and genders?

This is not the act of God. This is the act of man. Free will. You know that same free will that would make your ownership of infant sex slaves a non-absolute not just socially acceptable, but absolutely acceptable at the right time and place.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15896
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:53 pm

assateague wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:This is the same God that apparently condones, no, causes, stillbirths?
This is the same God that births all children in an environment of equal liberties?
This is the same God that has allowed the systemic elimination of those of different religions, skin colors, sexual preferences, ethnicities, and genders?



I see what you're getting at, but it falls short. Here's why- because for those who choose not to believe in God, statements like the ones you made above seem to support their position. But the reality is that statements such as those ignore the human actions which are most often the cause. God does not exist in a vacuum. He created us, and gave us free will. Specifically, in your third example, the Christian response would be "how did WE allow the systemic elimination of those of different religion?", because ultimately, humans are at fault.

There was no bolt of lightning which came from the sky and smote 6 million Jews. It was the actions of people which did that. Actions which other people allowed to happen. There was no flood tide of blood which washed blacks across the Atlantic ocean and placed them on plantations in the South. Those were the actions of people.

Even "acts of God" have consequences which are most likely human-based, albeit not always avoidable. For example, a hurricane which kills 1,000 people. It's easy to say "how can God let this happen?", when the reality is that God did not force people to build their houses on the beach. When a tornado flattens a town, it's just as easy to say the same thing, but people were the ones who chose to not build a concrete block house or something like that. I'm certainly not saying that people need to live in a concrete tube in the middle of Wyoming, 50 feet underground, but what I am saying is that we all make decisions, and those decisions have consequences. To blame those consequences on God, whether it is loss of a job, destruction of a house, or the Holocaust, is disingenuous. It is an attempt to remove all blame from the decisions made by people.

In regard to sickness and disease, there is no guarantee as to how long one gets to live. We all die- that is a simple fact. Honestly, does it matter if it happens in 100 years, 50 years, 10 years, or 1 year? Yes, it is sad, but what really does that mean? To a believer, death is not a bad thing, as we get to experience eternal life. To a non-believer, it shouldn't matter, because they feel you are just unfeeling worm food with no hereafter. In either case, death shouldn't seem to matter, should it? Yet it is trotted out quite often in the "how could God let this happen?" scenarios.

Nowhere does belief in God guarantee you an easy, pain-free life. Quite the contrary. So when I see statements such as those you made, it just makes me realize that there is a very large perception gap.

Yes there is, AT, yet I think you presented your case well. You, quite frankly and admittedly, are so much more conversant with the Christian religion than I that my arguments are not worth the ether this "net" resides in :lol3: I have questions about religion, not answers. I form a few half-assed conclusions from some responses to these questions (not from you), that I really feelof adherents.
Someday, with your agreement, I'd have to have a "question and answer" period with you about the things that absolutely baffle me in the Christian religion. It would not be a contest, nor an attempt to slyly prevail. It would be a sincere informational exercise with someone I consider as bright and well-spoken. I have tried with many in the past and walked away more confused than I started. In addition, I fully realize that you do not have all the answers, nor would I expect you to. I would, however, consider you as one who has given thought to many of the questions. Not right away. I would want to think of the essence of my questions so as not to come across as either over-zealous in my preconceptions, woefully ignorant (though I think I've probably already earned that crown!), or petulant. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Glimmerjim on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10724
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:00 pm

jehler wrote:“There is nothing else than now. There is neither yesterday, certainly, nor is there any tomorrow. How old must you be before you know that? There is only now, and if now is only two days, then two days is your life and everything in it will be in proportion. This is how you live a life in two days. And if you stop complaining and asking for what you never will get, you will have a good life. A good life is not measured by any biblical span.”

That's an excellent quote, Jehler! :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10724
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:22 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:Jim,

I see you have realized the foolishness of your statement and have starting throwing the red herrings all over the place :thumbsup:

Image

Glimmerjim wrote:This is the same God that apparently condones, no, causes, stillbirths?
If your life goes on forever, in the grand scheme of things does it matter whether you on on the Earth for 1 sec or 100 years, it is all but a negligible fraction of eternity and at the end of it you died of one cause or another.

But yes God causes death, if you want to phrase it that way. He causes life and he causes death. Your criticism seems to boil down to not having eternal life on Earth or are there "good" deaths that you are happy about. Please explain what they are and why. Not talking preferable, obviously more is preferable to less.

Glimmerjim wrote:This is the same God that births all children in an environment of equal liberties?
This is the same God that has allowed the systemic elimination of those of different religions, skin colors, sexual preferences, ethnicities, and genders?

This is not the act of God. This is the act of man. Free will. You know that same free will that would make your ownership of infant sex slaves a non-absolute not just socially acceptable, but absolutely acceptable at the right time and place.

Sorry buddy, but I don't see myself as having come to any realization other than it is going to take me a long time to determine if there is any logic to your post or not. :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10724
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Northcoast wrote:I think it would be a lot easier to get it legalized if the was a reliable road side sobriety test to some how determine if you have been using recently

I have always thought that in an ideal world, if you were considered as possibly under the influence of any substance, you would be submitted to a fairly strenuous driving simulator test. There would be emergency situations that call for quick thinking and reasonable hand/eye coordination, good judgment in unusual circumstances, and a fairly high level of driving ability required to pass. In fact, in addition to those accused of driving while impaired, I think the test should me mandatory for everyone on a fairly regular basis. Too old, too distracted, too stupid, too blind.....sorry, but you're not driving on the same roads as my teenage daughter. Try again in 6 months. However, if you just polished off a joint and a bottle of Johnny Walker, the time has passed for the physical effects to be in full power, and you pass the test with flying colors........"Sorry to have stopped you sir. Have a nice night."
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10724
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby assateague » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
Northcoast wrote:I think it would be a lot easier to get it legalized if the was a reliable road side sobriety test to some how determine if you have been using recently

I have always thought that in an ideal world, if you were considered as possibly under the influence of any substance, you would be submitted to a fairly strenuous driving simulator test. There would be emergency situations that call for quick thinking and reasonable hand/eye coordination, good judgment in unusual circumstances, and a fairly high level of driving ability required to pass. In fact, in addition to those accused of driving while impaired, I think the test should me mandatory for everyone on a fairly regular basis. Too old, too distracted, too stupid, too blind.....sorry, but you're not driving on the same roads as my teenage daughter. Try again in 6 months. However, if you just polished off a joint and a bottle of Johnny Walker, the time has passed for the physical effects to be in full power, and you pass the test with flying colors........"Sorry to have stopped you sir. Have a nice night."



Amen to that. I don't care if you're not drunk- a danger to others is a danger to others, no matter the reason. The fact that we get so hung up on drunk/high/distracted irritates me. I agree with you on the inclusion of stupid/old/busy, and others, which influence driving ability. Does it matter if a family member is killed by a drunk driver or an 88 year old driver who can only see 100 feet down the road? Not in the least, yet we are "encouraged" to demonize one and excuse the other. Bullshit.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby assateague » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
assateague wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:This is the same God that apparently condones, no, causes, stillbirths?
This is the same God that births all children in an environment of equal liberties?
This is the same God that has allowed the systemic elimination of those of different religions, skin colors, sexual preferences, ethnicities, and genders?



I see what you're getting at, but it falls short. Here's why- because for those who choose not to believe in God, statements like the ones you made above seem to support their position. But the reality is that statements such as those ignore the human actions which are most often the cause. God does not exist in a vacuum. He created us, and gave us free will. Specifically, in your third example, the Christian response would be "how did WE allow the systemic elimination of those of different religion?", because ultimately, humans are at fault.

There was no bolt of lightning which came from the sky and smote 6 million Jews. It was the actions of people which did that. Actions which other people allowed to happen. There was no flood tide of blood which washed blacks across the Atlantic ocean and placed them on plantations in the South. Those were the actions of people.

Even "acts of God" have consequences which are most likely human-based, albeit not always avoidable. For example, a hurricane which kills 1,000 people. It's easy to say "how can God let this happen?", when the reality is that God did not force people to build their houses on the beach. When a tornado flattens a town, it's just as easy to say the same thing, but people were the ones who chose to not build a concrete block house or something like that. I'm certainly not saying that people need to live in a concrete tube in the middle of Wyoming, 50 feet underground, but what I am saying is that we all make decisions, and those decisions have consequences. To blame those consequences on God, whether it is loss of a job, destruction of a house, or the Holocaust, is disingenuous. It is an attempt to remove all blame from the decisions made by people.

In regard to sickness and disease, there is no guarantee as to how long one gets to live. We all die- that is a simple fact. Honestly, does it matter if it happens in 100 years, 50 years, 10 years, or 1 year? Yes, it is sad, but what really does that mean? To a believer, death is not a bad thing, as we get to experience eternal life. To a non-believer, it shouldn't matter, because they feel you are just unfeeling worm food with no hereafter. In either case, death shouldn't seem to matter, should it? Yet it is trotted out quite often in the "how could God let this happen?" scenarios.

Nowhere does belief in God guarantee you an easy, pain-free life. Quite the contrary. So when I see statements such as those you made, it just makes me realize that there is a very large perception gap.

Yes there is, AT, yet I think you presented your case well. You, quite frankly and admittedly, are so much more conversant with the Christian religion than I that my arguments are not worth the ether this "net" resides in :lol3: I have questions about religion, not answers. I form a few half-assed conclusions from some responses to these questions (not from you), that I really feelof adherents.
Someday, with your agreement, I'd have to have a "question and answer" period with you about the things that absolutely baffle me in the Christian religion. It would not be a contest, nor an attempt to slyly prevail. It would be a sincere informational exercise with someone I consider as bright and well-spoken. I have tried with many in the past and walked away more confused than I started. In addition, I fully realize that you do not have all the answers, nor would I expect you to. I would, however, consider you as one who has given thought to many of the questions. Not right away. I would want to think of the essence of my questions so as not to come across as either over-zealous in my preconceptions, woefully ignorant (though I think I've probably already earned that crown!), or petulant. :thumbsup:



While I appreciate the sentiments, I'm probably not the best guy for it. Whenever I ponder on it, I'm left with probably more questions than you have. I simply believe, and while we do belong to a church, and enjoy going, I find those times in a tree stand or duck blind, or simply offering up some quiet prayer in the morning or evening to be more "satisfying".
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:Jim,

I see you have realized the foolishness of your statement and have starting throwing the red herrings all over the place :thumbsup:

Image

Glimmerjim wrote:This is the same God that apparently condones, no, causes, stillbirths?
If your life goes on forever, in the grand scheme of things does it matter whether you on on the Earth for 1 sec or 100 years, it is all but a negligible fraction of eternity and at the end of it you died of one cause or another.

But yes God causes death, if you want to phrase it that way. He causes life and he causes death. Your criticism seems to boil down to not having eternal life on Earth or are there "good" deaths that you are happy about. Please explain what they are and why. Not talking preferable, obviously more is preferable to less.

Glimmerjim wrote:This is the same God that births all children in an environment of equal liberties?
This is the same God that has allowed the systemic elimination of those of different religions, skin colors, sexual preferences, ethnicities, and genders?

This is not the act of God. This is the act of man. Free will. You know that same free will that would make your ownership of infant sex slaves a non-absolute not just socially acceptable, but absolutely acceptable at the right time and place.

Sorry buddy, but I don't see myself as having come to any realization other than it is going to take me a long time to determine if there is any logic to your post or not. :lol3:

So why the red herrings and ignoring the substance? :huh:

I'll then repeat my question since you claim it was not intentional.

Your assertion is that there are not absolutes, which apparently is in direct contradiction to the words of the Declaration of Independence and you hold that there are not only no truths that are self-evident, but there are in fact no truths in this regard.

If as you say "I guess I consider all opinion as contextual in time and place" what is the context in time and place where you believe it refutes my assertion that it is an absolute that it is wrong to do something horrible to a fellow human for your personal enjoyment?

I await your red herrings and/or non-responsive answer.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15896
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby TomKat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:29 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:And now I have a big surprise for you.....I just won a 450 milion dollar lottery, (no one knows but I at this moment in time) and because I like your lack of animosity I plan on giving half of it to you. Now, regrettably, at this precise moment in time I find myself in a rather precarious monetary position, but rest assured that regardless of the inevitable outcome, the fact that you are the beneficiary of half of my winnings is an absolute truth!



Can I have mine in weed please?

JUST LEGALIZE IT ALREADY
Image
User avatar
TomKat
Dorothy
 
Posts: 11501
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am
Location: NE Kansas

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests