Just legalize it already......

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:58 pm

assateague wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
assateague wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:This is the same God that apparently condones, no, causes, stillbirths?
This is the same God that births all children in an environment of equal liberties?
This is the same God that has allowed the systemic elimination of those of different religions, skin colors, sexual preferences, ethnicities, and genders?



I see what you're getting at, but it falls short. Here's why- because for those who choose not to believe in God, statements like the ones you made above seem to support their position. But the reality is that statements such as those ignore the human actions which are most often the cause. God does not exist in a vacuum. He created us, and gave us free will. Specifically, in your third example, the Christian response would be "how did WE allow the systemic elimination of those of different religion?", because ultimately, humans are at fault.

There was no bolt of lightning which came from the sky and smote 6 million Jews. It was the actions of people which did that. Actions which other people allowed to happen. There was no flood tide of blood which washed blacks across the Atlantic ocean and placed them on plantations in the South. Those were the actions of people.

Even "acts of God" have consequences which are most likely human-based, albeit not always avoidable. For example, a hurricane which kills 1,000 people. It's easy to say "how can God let this happen?", when the reality is that God did not force people to build their houses on the beach. When a tornado flattens a town, it's just as easy to say the same thing, but people were the ones who chose to not build a concrete block house or something like that. I'm certainly not saying that people need to live in a concrete tube in the middle of Wyoming, 50 feet underground, but what I am saying is that we all make decisions, and those decisions have consequences. To blame those consequences on God, whether it is loss of a job, destruction of a house, or the Holocaust, is disingenuous. It is an attempt to remove all blame from the decisions made by people.

In regard to sickness and disease, there is no guarantee as to how long one gets to live. We all die- that is a simple fact. Honestly, does it matter if it happens in 100 years, 50 years, 10 years, or 1 year? Yes, it is sad, but what really does that mean? To a believer, death is not a bad thing, as we get to experience eternal life. To a non-believer, it shouldn't matter, because they feel you are just unfeeling worm food with no hereafter. In either case, death shouldn't seem to matter, should it? Yet it is trotted out quite often in the "how could God let this happen?" scenarios.

Nowhere does belief in God guarantee you an easy, pain-free life. Quite the contrary. So when I see statements such as those you made, it just makes me realize that there is a very large perception gap.

Yes there is, AT, yet I think you presented your case well. You, quite frankly and admittedly, are so much more conversant with the Christian religion than I that my arguments are not worth the ether this "net" resides in :lol3: I have questions about religion, not answers. I form a few half-assed conclusions from some responses to these questions (not from you), that I really feelof adherents.
Someday, with your agreement, I'd have to have a "question and answer" period with you about the things that absolutely baffle me in the Christian religion. It would not be a contest, nor an attempt to slyly prevail. It would be a sincere informational exercise with someone I consider as bright and well-spoken. I have tried with many in the past and walked away more confused than I started. In addition, I fully realize that you do not have all the answers, nor would I expect you to. I would, however, consider you as one who has given thought to many of the questions. Not right away. I would want to think of the essence of my questions so as not to come across as either over-zealous in my preconceptions, woefully ignorant (though I think I've probably already earned that crown!), or petulant. :thumbsup:



While I appreciate the sentiments, I'm probably not the best guy for it. Whenever I ponder on it, I'm left with probably more questions than you have. I simply believe, and while we do belong to a church, and enjoy going, I find those times in a tree stand or duck blind, or simply offering up some quiet prayer in the morning or evening to be more "satisfying".

:thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10832
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am


Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:02 pm

TomKat wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:And now I have a big surprise for you.....I just won a 450 milion dollar lottery, (no one knows but I at this moment in time) and because I like your lack of animosity I plan on giving half of it to you. Now, regrettably, at this precise moment in time I find myself in a rather precarious monetary position, but rest assured that regardless of the inevitable outcome, the fact that you are the beneficiary of half of my winnings is an absolute truth!



Can I have mine in weed please?

JUST LEGALIZE IT ALREADY

:lol3: :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10832
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:10 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:Jim,

I see you have realized the foolishness of your statement and have starting throwing the red herrings all over the place :thumbsup:

Image

Glimmerjim wrote:This is the same God that apparently condones, no, causes, stillbirths?
If your life goes on forever, in the grand scheme of things does it matter whether you on on the Earth for 1 sec or 100 years, it is all but a negligible fraction of eternity and at the end of it you died of one cause or another.

But yes God causes death, if you want to phrase it that way. He causes life and he causes death. Your criticism seems to boil down to not having eternal life on Earth or are there "good" deaths that you are happy about. Please explain what they are and why. Not talking preferable, obviously more is preferable to less.

Glimmerjim wrote:This is the same God that births all children in an environment of equal liberties?
This is the same God that has allowed the systemic elimination of those of different religions, skin colors, sexual preferences, ethnicities, and genders?

This is not the act of God. This is the act of man. Free will. You know that same free will that would make your ownership of infant sex slaves a non-absolute not just socially acceptable, but absolutely acceptable at the right time and place.

Sorry buddy, but I don't see myself as having come to any realization other than it is going to take me a long time to determine if there is any logic to your post or not. :lol3:

So why the red herrings and ignoring the substance? :huh:

I'll then repeat my question since you claim it was not intentional.

Your assertion is that there are not absolutes, which apparently is in direct contradiction to the words of the Declaration of Independence and you hold that there are not only no truths that are self-evident, but there are in fact no truths in this regard.

If as you say "I guess I consider all opinion as contextual in time and place" what is the context in time and place where you believe it refutes my assertion that it is an absolute that it is wrong to do something horrible to a fellow human for your personal enjoyment?

I await your red herrings and/or non-responsive answer.

I suppose that if I had to propose a situation in which the horrible treatment of an individual would be "enjoyable" for me, "enjoyable" having many connotations, it would be a situation in which this treatment might result in a lack of suffering of many others. I might even consider it being "enjoyable"' being the one to volunteer to accept this horrible treatment if there was a good chance that it would alleviate the suffering of many others.
Or, another way to put it. If I could completely alleviate the suffering of all the families, the soldiers, the families of the soldiers, and the innocents, of all nationalities, that incurred devastating loss as a result of the Vietnam War, stand me up, give me a smoke, screw the blindfold, and let's see who wins Top Gun. At least I hope that I am being honest when I say that. I feel that I am.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10832
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:07 pm

So that time and place is a total fantasy. Yep, there are absolutes in the real word, but not the fantasy world in your head :thumbsup:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 16111
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:51 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:So that time and place is a total fantasy. Yep, there are absolutes in the real word, but not the fantasy world in your head :thumbsup:

The world is a fantasy in everyone's head, Spinner. Just in different manifestations.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10832
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:38 am

I don't smoke weed. Never even have. Yeah I'm lame, f you.

But anyways, I don't see why weed is illegal when more people die from prescription opioid overdose than heroine and cocaine COMBINED. I do kinda think our society has a drug problem and its really deep.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
User avatar
MinnesotaDan
hunter
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:33 am
Location: Out Here

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby TomKat » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:58 am

Image
Image
User avatar
TomKat
Dorothy
 
Posts: 11501
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am
Location: NE Kansas

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby assateague » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:34 am

MinnesotaDan wrote:I don't smoke weed. Never even have. Yeah I'm lame, f you.

But anyways, I don't see why weed is illegal when more people die from prescription opioid overdose than heroine and cocaine COMBINED. I do kinda think our society has a drug problem and its really deep.



Let's not forget alcohol and cigarettes. They're both drugs as well. Quite potent, highly addictive drugs, at that.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby beretta24 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:38 am

assateague wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:I don't smoke weed. Never even have. Yeah I'm lame, f you.

But anyways, I don't see why weed is illegal when more people die from prescription opioid overdose than heroine and cocaine COMBINED. I do kinda think our society has a drug problem and its really deep.



Let's not forget alcohol and cigarettes. They're both drugs as well. Quite potent, highly addictive drugs, at that.

That's why I'm getting ahead of the curve and telling my wife my whiskey drinking is for medicinal purposes.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
beretta24
State Moderator
 
Posts: 5775
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: MN

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:15 am

MinnesotaDan wrote:I don't smoke weed. Never even have. Yeah I'm lame, f you.



Who ever even insinuated that sort of attitude, Dan? When I speak of the "mind-exanding" abiliies of most drugs it is 99% jest , Dan. Most drugs in most situations serve no benefical circumstance and tend to just make their recipients more stupid than they were prior to the drug ingestion. In a few controlled, responsible, intelligent circumstances I believe drugs CAN have beneficial attributes. For the rest it is just like alcohol, an anaesthetic with one or more physically altering attributes that some consider as positives or somehow "enlightening."
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10832
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby boney fingers » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:38 am

corncob wrote:
Northcoast wrote:I think it would be a lot easier to get it legalized if the was a reliable road side sobriety test to some how determine if you have been using recently

pot heads drive like 4 MPH, we aint hurting anybody.we are lucky if we find our car keys. its the drunks that drive like a bat out of hell


I believe one of the tell tale signs of DUI is driving under the speed limit. One other thing for the pot heads to consider; I own a meat plant and the rules and regs I have to follow to sell a product that if cooked properly is 99.9999% safe is crazy. Finding insurance to cover me is very hard to find and very expensive when I do. How much does it cost drug companies to sell and market drugs that have a positive effect on humans? If you think legalization will bring cost down, your going to be in for a shock.
boney fingers
hunter
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:16 am

boney fingers wrote:I own a meat plant and the rules and regs I have to follow to sell a product that if cooked properly is 99.9999% safe is crazy
Yes, but PETA et. al. don't want you to make any money so if they can pile regulations on top of you in the name of "safety" they are happy. I know this won't surprise you, but not all regulations are a genuine attempt to do what they say they are trying to do.

I don't see any indication that this is an issue in the states that have legalized pot, even for the so-called medicinal uses. My bigger concern is that they will tax it so heavily that the black market will not be impacted significantly. If you look at the mob running numbers, it doesn't happen any more. The real crooks took it over and now the consumers can bet on the numbers legally at a higher dollar cost than when it was run by the mob.

There is a lot of value for a lot of people if they are not risking going to jail. They will choose the legal over the illegal as long as there is not a large cost penalty. Look at cigarettes. The black market can surely supply at lower cost, but we haven't got to the point yet were a strong black market exists.

The problem is that black market drugs are cheap in dollars. Despite the "war" on drugs, the market has adapted as markets do to me demand in the most cost efficient way possible.

Readily and reliably available at a comparable price and the black market dries up.

My fear is that it would be a half-assed approach like we have seen in CA. That won't make it better. Much like the half-assed reregulation that CA did with its electricity and the great harm that came with that debacle. However, I think there is very little downside from where we are with drugs, but a half-assed approach will not do what needs to be done to greatly reduce the violence and greatly reduce the availability to minors.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 16111
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:42 pm

corncob wrote: pot heads drive like 4 MPH,

With everybody else in the car sayin' "Slow down, man, this ain't a race!" :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10832
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
corncob wrote: pot heads drive like 4 MPH,

With everybody else in the car sayin' "Slow down, man, this ain't a race!" :lol3:

And this doesn't look like a road either :huh:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 16111
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:41 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
corncob wrote: pot heads drive like 4 MPH,

With everybody else in the car sayin' "Slow down, man, this ain't a race!" :lol3:

And this doesn't look like a road either :huh:

:lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10832
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby boney fingers » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:31 pm

corncob wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
corncob wrote:
Northcoast wrote:I think it would be a lot easier to get it legalized if the was a reliable road side sobriety test to some how determine if you have been using recently

pot heads drive like 4 MPH, we aint hurting anybody.we are lucky if we find our car keys. its the drunks that drive like a bat out of hell


I believe one of the tell tale signs of DUI is driving under the speed limit. One other thing for the pot heads to consider; I own a meat plant and the rules and regs I have to follow to sell a product that if cooked properly is 99.9999% safe is crazy. Finding insurance to cover me is very hard to find and very expensive when I do. How much does it cost drug companies to sell and market drugs that have a positive effect on humans? If you think legalization will bring cost down, your going to be in for a shock.

i own my own business and have never had trouble getting insurance.your product you sell comes from me.
what does drug companies have to do with this other then they dont want it legal and spend tons of money trying to keep out of the hands of people that need it.
im not beating the medical use bongo. legal or not dont effect me in the least.the cost would come down but still wouldnt effect me.
im fine using what i have.



you don't have trouble getting insurance because my business takes on all the liability. When a little kid gets sick and dies because his mom didn't cook his burger, they will come after me not you. The point is when drugs are legal, someone will have to assume the liability for any ill effects that it brings, this is very expensive. Second, if it is legal it will need to be regulated, things don't regulate themselves for free. Third, it will still be illegal for you to sell without the governments blessing; this means the market will not be as competitive as most people think; you wont be able to pick up your sweet corn and pot at the local farmers market. Drug companies are fighting it because they want a level playing field in terms of the regs they endure to sell drugs, and they will get it. The drug companies will be the first in line to profit it is is legal.
boney fingers
hunter
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:19 am

corncob wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
corncob wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
corncob wrote:
Northcoast wrote:I think it would be a lot easier to get it legalized if the was a reliable road side sobriety test to some how determine if you have been using recently

pot heads drive like 4 MPH, we aint hurting anybody.we are lucky if we find our car keys. its the drunks that drive like a bat out of hell


I believe one of the tell tale signs of DUI is driving under the speed limit. One other thing for the pot heads to consider; I own a meat plant and the rules and regs I have to follow to sell a product that if cooked properly is 99.9999% safe is crazy. Finding insurance to cover me is very hard to find and very expensive when I do. How much does it cost drug companies to sell and market drugs that have a positive effect on humans? If you think legalization will bring cost down, your going to be in for a shock.

i own my own business and have never had trouble getting insurance.your product you sell comes from me.
what does drug companies have to do with this other then they dont want it legal and spend tons of money trying to keep out of the hands of people that need it.
im not beating the medical use bongo. legal or not dont effect me in the least.the cost would come down but still wouldnt effect me.
im fine using what i have.



you don't have trouble getting insurance because my business takes on all the liability. When a little kid gets sick and dies because his mom didn't cook his burger, they will come after me not you. The point is when drugs are legal, someone will have to assume the liability for any ill effects that it brings, this is very expensive. Second, if it is legal it will need to be regulated, things don't regulate themselves for free. Third, it will still be illegal for you to sell without the governments blessing; this means the market will not be as competitive as most people think; you wont be able to pick up your sweet corn and pot at the local farmers market. Drug companies are fighting it because they want a level playing field in terms of the regs they endure to sell drugs, and they will get it. The drug companies will be the first in line to profit it is is legal.

you are assuming to much. i am fully aware of the stuff that has to be done, because i also breed raise process and sell "organic" beef and lamb. im not sure what you trying by saying "very expensive" land is free so to is all input cost and infrastructure labor harvest costs along with everything else. i do all the organic meat on site no need for packing houses to make all the money.
why do you feel the need to regulate it? i dont care if its legal or not,i would prefer illegal and the government not having more taxes. the drug companies are not set up to farm pot and it isnt the drug companies growing it now in canada or the states that legalized it
im sure there are more then a couple farmers markets i could buy. but as stated i havent a need to buy pot or even sweet corn

The unfettered life of the not, as of yet, manipulated! :beer: :clapping: hang in there my brother! Your enemy is insidious and bereft of mirth! Keep them chasing you. If they are always chasing, they can never tackle!
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10832
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby boney fingers » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:58 am

corncob wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
corncob wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
corncob wrote:
Northcoast wrote:I think it would be a lot easier to get it legalized if the was a reliable road side sobriety test to some how determine if you have been using recently

pot heads drive like 4 MPH, we aint hurting anybody.we are lucky if we find our car keys. its the drunks that drive like a bat out of hell


I believe one of the tell tale signs of DUI is driving under the speed limit. One other thing for the pot heads to consider; I own a meat plant and the rules and regs I have to follow to sell a product that if cooked properly is 99.9999% safe is crazy. Finding insurance to cover me is very hard to find and very expensive when I do. How much does it cost drug companies to sell and market drugs that have a positive effect on humans? If you think legalization will bring cost down, your going to be in for a shock.

i own my own business and have never had trouble getting insurance.your product you sell comes from me.
what does drug companies have to do with this other then they dont want it legal and spend tons of money trying to keep out of the hands of people that need it.
im not beating the medical use bongo. legal or not dont effect me in the least.the cost would come down but still wouldnt effect me.
im fine using what i have.



you don't have trouble getting insurance because my business takes on all the liability. When a little kid gets sick and dies because his mom didn't cook his burger, they will come after me not you. The point is when drugs are legal, someone will have to assume the liability for any ill effects that it brings, this is very expensive. Second, if it is legal it will need to be regulated, things don't regulate themselves for free. Third, it will still be illegal for you to sell without the governments blessing; this means the market will not be as competitive as most people think; you wont be able to pick up your sweet corn and pot at the local farmers market. Drug companies are fighting it because they want a level playing field in terms of the regs they endure to sell drugs, and they will get it. The drug companies will be the first in line to profit it is is legal.

you are assuming to much. i am fully aware of the stuff that has to be done, because i also breed raise process and sell "organic" beef and lamb. im not sure what you trying by saying "very expensive" land is free so to is all input cost and infrastructure labor harvest costs along with everything else. i do all the organic meat on site no need for packing houses to make all the money.
why do you feel the need to regulate it? i dont care if its legal or not,i would prefer illegal and the government not having more taxes. the drug companies are not set up to farm pot and it isnt the drug companies growing it now in canada or the states that legalized it
im sure there are more then a couple farmers markets i could buy. but as stated i havent a need to buy pot or even sweet corn



I assume nothing; I also own a farm. Farmers have traditionally got away with very little liability in the food chain; processors on the other hand have been targeted because the industry is dominated by large corporations with lots of money ( target rich environment for lawyers). I don't feel the need to regulate it, but unless you want it made available at the candy store, then it will be. My whole point is that it will not be significantly cheaper when available. Also, since you sell "organic" meat you would know that the use of that term is highly REGULATED; it is illegal to use the term in sales unless you are REGULATED. Also since you sell meat you know under almost all circumstances selling meat is highly regulated.
boney fingers
hunter
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:28 am

Easy to get away from regulation of weed were it to be legalized...

Two words...

Home grown.

Were talking about a product that can be grown almost anywhere. There is no need to purchase any supplies if you don't want to. The seeds come from the female plant when fertilized. And seeds can be free assuming you, as the grower, want to plant with male plants present. They may be able to regulate the sales through retail facilities, but it would be virtually impossible to regulate home growers. Unless they were trying to wholesale their product to an establishment that was regulated. The price, IMO, would drop due to Americans not needing an established drug company to grow this plant. What regulations are home brewers held to?

Price will drop. Quality will be better. And America will turn into zombie land.

Maybe... :hammer:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:39 am

Gunnysway wrote:Price will drop. Quality will be better. And America will turn into zombie land.
The price is cheap, the quality is good, and are you really sure we aren't living in zombie land already? :huh:

Why take the risk of growing your own if you can get it legally elsewhere? Sure people will break the law, but the incentive to do so would be less. Less incentive, less activity.

The comparison to home brew is flawed in that it is not illegal to brew at home. Make it illegal and it does not stop, but it will be reduced, probably substantially if that is the only change in the law and you can still by beer elsewhere as today.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 16111
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby assateague » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:51 am

boney fingers wrote: Farmers have traditionally got away with very little liability in the food chain; processors on the other hand have been targeted because the industry is dominated by large corporations with lots of money



This is as it should be. Meat isn't contaminated on the hoof. If someone is spraying sewage water on their spinach, I could maybe see it, but it is the responsibility of the processor to ensure it is safe for humans. Hence the term "processor"- you process it from raw material into a usable, marketable good. If a carpenter miscuts a bunch of studs, forgets to nail the rafters on, and a house falls down, it's hardly the fault of the lumber company who delivered the wood.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:08 am

It is not illegal to grow plants in Colorado...

http://blog.seattlepi.com/marijuana/201 ... flowering/

Or Washington if you have a "medical card"

http://www.brookings.edu/research/paper ... washington

And from 1970 to 2004, the citizens of Alaska could own, possess, grow and smoke their weed with ease of mind knowing the Constitution of The United States backed them up. Then the bureaucrats got involved and made it a crime.

They WILL be the next state to legalize marijuana... again.

http://www.brookings.edu/research/paper ... washington


My point is, you don't need a chemistry background to grow weed. There is no mixing of ingrediants,. There is no need for a process to pull out the THC. You grow it, cut it, dry it, trim it, and smoke it.

Not rocket science.

Also, if you think people are worried about illegally growing it, you are sorely mistaken. Citizens all over the country are growing just a little for themselves. They live life unimpeded in this because the DEA and local law enforcement are busy looking for the big grows. The ones that take hundreds of pounds out of the market.

Shoot... you probably have people on your street that have one, two, ten plants growing as we speak. Small time ops rarely get busted unless someone has very loose lips.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:33 am

Gunnysway wrote:Also, if you think people are worried about illegally growing it, you are sorely mistaken.
Are you saying that NOBODY is worried about illegally growing it? :huh: Because I'm not saying that everybody is, because clearly that is not true.

If making it illegal has no impact, then it is irrelevant that some states don't outlaw it :thumbsup:

BTW, is there a big cost differential between those states where it is legal to grow and where it is not? I doubt it, which gets back to my first point that the price will not drop in a big way because it is already cheap. They are having a growing problem with heroine overdoses in the Chicagoland area because heroine is so cheap. Even they are relatively unimpeded by the DEA.

Don't get me wrong I think a total legalization including home brewing crystal meth would be a large improvement from where we are today. We can do far better than that, but I don't think we can do much worse than where we are. It's almost like the system was designed to maximize societal harm. Relatively cheap, relatively available, and supplied primarily by criminals that maximize profit by maximizing violence and maximizing sales to minors.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 16111
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:15 am

I can neither confirm, nor deny my knowledge in this subject. But......

From what I've heard, it is getting slightly cheaper and the quality IS getting much better...(Thank you current legalized states I guess?)


Economics 101. Supply is higher, demand is greater and virtually anyone can grow it. If a pot head had a a regular supplier, and was offered said product at a slightly reduced price, I assume he would purchase from the cheaper party. The black market will dictate the price on the open market, because the black market can only sell if it is cheaper than the open market prices. People generally go with the cheaper product. I'm not sure how much hooch cost during prohibition, but i can assume it was a higher cost than after prohibition was struck down. Also it does not take into account Home Growers. Again, a much simpler process than Home Brew even if it takes longer to produce. If I go to the store and buy whatever quantity I like at X price, and Cheech down the street is selling the product he grew for a reduced price due to him wanting to make a buck, Cheech will sell out. Why? It's cheaper. The store price would have to drop, less they be stuck with degrading inventory.


I could be wrong... It could go your way, or land somewhere in between. Who knows. What I do know is this. It's already here. They haven't been able to stop it from being used in the US at a rate that people are making big money, and right under the noses of our Govt.

And it's not all that expensive to begin with, to the point that kids can buy it with their allowances.

Legalize it, regulate it, make it worth the effort. Otherwise People will still continue to buy, tax free, from good 'ol Cheech...


This is just my opinion at this point, and as I said i could be wrong... but I think I nailed it. :lol3:


:hammer:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: Just legalize it already......

Postby boney fingers » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:53 am

If your growing it at home for personal use, your price will be the same not lower. To retail it, you will be subject to tons of regulations from the government, you will also need insurance so that when the guy you sell to backs over the neighbors kid in the driveway or falls off a balcony , your covered; this all adds cost. You cant argue the value of legalization by using examples of illegal use.
boney fingers
hunter
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:30 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests