Field hunting

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Field hunting

Postby khawm » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:42 pm

I didn't see a post any where about just using goose decoys when you our out in the field for ducks and geese. What I have noticed is when I am out and we only put out goose decoys we have the ducks and geese come in but when we put some duck decoys to the spread the geese don't like to come in as much. Just wondering if anybody else has noticed anything like this??
khawm
hunter

Re: Field hunting

Postby tornadochaser » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:04 am

If we put out any duck decoys we run them behind or off to one side. Agreed though, using just canadas and a spinner or two is usually all it takes.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby khawm » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:44 pm

I guess what I was getting to is do you guys thing I could get away with just buying goose decoys for field hunts or are the duck decoys necessary and help out in killing both ducks and geese? Let me know what you think?
khawm
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:48 am

Buy the amount of goose decoys you think you'll need before spending any money on ducks for field hunting. The only times we use duck decoys any more is in a high visibility field like a cut soybean field or on pressured ducks that have been hunted a few times already. The we'll bust out the mallards and show something different.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:52 am

I'd say it depends on what you're seeing in your field. More geese, use goose decoys. More ducks...you get the picture.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Yea I agree it just depends on what's using the field. Last year we set up in a bean field that was getting constant use from about 500 mallards so we came out and brought every duck floater we had and used them in the field, burying their keel to stand them up. We then ran 2 mojos with it but just to increase our visibility we set out 2 dozen goose shells. They had no interest in the goose decoys and circled our duck decoys endlessly then finally decoyed in. Then we let group after group decoy and feed in the decoys then we jumped them up and cut em killing our limit on 2 doses of this technique. Very interesting hunt since we were covered in mallards when it was early December and a daytime high of 63 degrees :lol3:
luie b
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:07 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:I'd say it depends on what you're seeing in your field. More geese, use goose decoys. More ducks...you get the picture.

Professor Sweet with a quality lesson. Better listen up as these are true words. Quality education from Illinoisans here. Take notes. What happens when I have the same about of geese and mallards then?!?! :lol3:

Ducks will always work a goose spread without duck decoys. Better said, ducks are more likely to work the goose decoys compared to geese only working duck decoys.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Location: Where racketeering, conspiracy, fraud and soliciting of bribes for political appointments is normal

Return to Field Duck Hunting