chickahominy

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

chickahominy

Postby flint4045 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:55 am

Went fishing on the chick this weekend. First time in about 25 years.
Couple of things I noticed after all this time.
What's with All the damn grass / weeds that wasn't their years ago?
And Damn how do ya'll boys hunt it? Seems there is either a real blind or dummy blind every 499 yards. Talk about being locked up.
I was just thinking about a newbie getting into duck hunting would certainly catch hell finding a spot.
Hadn't really thought about it or looked for new spots for years. I am lucky enough to have private property to hunt.
But kinda felt bad for the new guys.
DGIF really needs to do something about dummy blinds. A blind tag nailed to a Cyprus tree is BS.
flint4045
hunter

Re: chickahominy

Postby imaduckin up north » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:10 am

Flint we have been talking about the dummy blinds on the chick for years, and dgif in their usual way arent goin to do a thing about it. its really a crime that people can get away with this but hey, its the way of the world :mad:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:29 am

Thats just a lazy way for a landowner to protect his shoreline from a blind, if theres no blind by November 1, hunt right at the tagged tree and be done with it. The blind laws work both ways, use them to "your" advantage. If I hunted in a floater, I would not have a problem finding spots to hunt. :thumbsup:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:47 pm

flint4045 wrote: A blind tag nailed to a Cyprus tree is BS.

A blind tag nailed to a tree with no blind is a Ghost Blind and is a float blind hunters best friend, IMO . I'm sorry but I don't believe that a landowner nailed that tag to the tree , I think it was done by a float blind hunter trying to secure a good spot on public water .
Put yourself in the shoes of a landowner that is mad about someone hunting waterfowl in front of the house at 6 AM on a Saturday . You the landowner have posted signs all around the border of the land but the one border that the house is the closes to has nothing that can deaden the sound of gunfire . Looking for a way to end it they find DGIF and our good laws .
OK at this point it's all in black and white and you can bet that a landowner that reads "must have a blind built by Nov. 1ST to be legal" will have something more then a tag nailed to a tree .
IMO DGIF can add the name and contact info to the blind stamp that must be on the tag nailed to a stick or tree or blind by such and such date without changing any law at all . We are talking public waters and someone is paying rent to do something others wouldn't be able to do in that same area . To me that sounds just like my oyster grounds I rent from the state for I can take oysters off the bottom but no one else can but I can't stop no one from taking fish or crabs off of the same waters .
Anyway what I'm getting at is it should be public information who is renting blind locations on public waters . I think it would lead to less Dummy blinds b/c maybe you the landowner has a weekend getaway house on the water and could care less if someone hunts out front during the week .

:smile: LD :wink:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:34 pm

ive been on the james and chic most of my life, and especially the chic most of them ghost or dummy blinds arent worth hunting. take a close look at some of them, either its a creek and water is to deep and moving to fast during tides to hunt it or its just bare shoreline. its just a way of trying to control water access for waterfowlers. most of those dummy blinds i wouldnt wast my time on. trust me if a spot is a good spot there will be a liscenced active blind there that gets hunted.
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Grass = good
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:25 am

My point was that if a blind is not built by Nov. 1, that spot can be hunted with a floater. Might not be a great place to hunt, but it can be hunted.
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:29 am

How did you do fishing? I remember years back they had a decline in bass and later learned it was due to a slight salinity from drought/water level issues.

Healthy fishery now? I havent been since I was a kid.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby flint4045 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:12 am

Fishing won't bad, never was good at catching but I enjoy fishing.
flint4045
hunter

Postby Sitndux3294 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:40 am

The chick in my opinion is now one of the most overrated rivers in the state for duck hunting. IMHO.
Born in Williamsburg, live right on the water (chick) my entire life, still do. I am an avid duck hunter, hunt 45 plus days a year.
I am fortunate to own and have access to some of the best true marshes on the river.
Due to the hunting pressure and fisherman running the creeks year round the hunting is average to poor at best most years until the last 2-3 weeks of Jan. The ducks have no where to rest/roost on the chick, you can hunt the entire river.
Hydrilla is good for ducks, they love it, especially divers.
We spend a fortune building and tagging blinds each year but I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE VA BLIND LAWS, SIMPLY PUT.
I personally think all citizens of the state should have equal access to hunt all waters and creeks within the state. Just my .02 cents.
We however are forced to play the blind tag game but we don't have one "ghost blind" to our names. We actually hunt our blinds.
One last observation on the chick. I believe the chick has more opportunity to be hunted now than it ever has. You have to spend time looking and observing what marshes are hunted, tagged, etc... SEVERAL MARSHES ON THIS RIVER ARE NOT TAGGED OR HUNTED.. PERIOD. You just have to put the field time in to find them, own a range finder.
A tag on a stick won't work, makes a great place to tie the bow of your floating blind up to.
I now hunt Arkansas with friends. I shoot more quality ducks in Arkansas in 3 days than I do on the chick all year anymore.
Done
Sitndux3294
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:05 am

I know at least one person on here that will tell you otherwise.
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby old1neck » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:20 pm

What marsh do you own?
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:22 pm

must have one of them there kings grants
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:43 pm

Grew up on the Chick, learned to duck hunt there. I first built those ghost blinds in front of TRCC for them when I was a kid, still have a bunch of friends who live on Jolly Pond. Just 20 years ago, we'd turn off 199 onto 5 to go home and there was nothing west off 199. I can remember Food Lion being built, then taco bell. Then alllllll the other stuff. Amazing. Don't even recognize the place now. Miss the fishing and boating in May/June/July, but y'all can keep all the rest. And yeah, the waterfowling is overrated as a whole. Not that it's terrible or anything, but people act like you've hit it big if you've got a legal blind anywhere on the river.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Grew up in toano can remember when there was only 4 stop lights in williamsburg. Probably hunted best part of chick. The only marsh I know that is open to hunt is morris creek and that only to a point. Bass fishing and inpoundments have ruined the hunting. inpoundments on James have hurt the chick. Derring point,Sanduskys,Hulas,Brandon,Upper Brandon,Weynoake,Dukes, and Nixons all have them .Kinda miss ole Russel feeding ducks in front of the cabin.
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:42 pm

I remember when the Lone Cypress stood on mud, the new bridge being built at the mouth of river, and now somebody has a mansion (its a house) in the middle of Gordon island, and our neighbor who bought adjacent land and we share driveway with first thing he did was try and put down gravel on dirt and mud without strong foundation it took like 5 tries, he built a unnecessarily huge dock with a huge roof over boat lift and they had to cut down some trees on the edge of water! and they haven't even started building their retirement home, but at least it's not going to be on on the water.

Btw Laugh-a-Lot hunt club thanks for turning off the big spotlight way up inthetree on the hill that lights up the marsh during duck season we noticed y'all started doing that all last year. Thanks!
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:49 am

laf-a-alot? you hunt near them? got some friends in that club. Might be joining myself if they lax up on having to dog hunt on saturdays during duck season. ive been to the club house on Gordons where you are talking about and those flood lights they have around the cabin are no joke. Makes it nice for throwing some shoes at night but could definitely see it being a nuisance.

if you ever need to get a hold of them for the lights or anything else give me a PM native. i can make a call and get them turned off. Probably done without knowing it was bothering anyone. the guys are know are nice people.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks I appreciate that. Laugh a lots a fun place. Sometimes we idle over there from our dock to theirs and hang. I meant that they routinely turned it off last year which was nice. they have a great view. Only one better is old paradise cabin's facing a wild sunset and swarms of summer ducks
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:25 am

Sitndux3294 wrote:The chick in my opinion is now one of the most overrated rivers in the state for duck hunting. IMHO.
Born in Williamsburg, live right on the water (chick) my entire life, still do. I am an avid duck hunter, hunt 45 plus days a year.
I am fortunate to own and have access to some of the best true marshes on the river.
Due to the hunting pressure and fisherman running the creeks year round the hunting is average to poor at best most years until the last 2-3 weeks of Jan. The ducks have no where to rest/roost on the chick, you can hunt the entire river.
Hydrilla is good for ducks, they love it, especially divers.
We spend a fortune building and tagging blinds each year but I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE VA BLIND LAWS, SIMPLY PUT.
I personally think all citizens of the state should have equal access to hunt all waters and creeks within the state. Just my .02 cents.
We however are forced to play the blind tag game but we don't have one "ghost blind" to our names. We actually hunt our blinds.
One last observation on the chick. I believe the chick has more opportunity to be hunted now than it ever has. You have to spend time looking and observing what marshes are hunted, tagged, etc... SEVERAL MARSHES ON THIS RIVER ARE NOT TAGGED OR HUNTED.. PERIOD. You just have to put the field time in to find them, own a range finder.
A tag on a stick won't work, makes a great place to tie the bow of your floating blind up to.
I now hunt Arkansas with friends. I shoot more quality ducks in Arkansas in 3 days than I do on the chick all year anymore.
Done

You dont happen to do any carving do you?
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting