Sx3 or Montefeltro

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Sx3 or Montefeltro

Postby Huskers2024 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:47 pm

I was set on getting the sx3(best buy out there in my opinion) and then I saw Benelli came out with the synthetic Montefeltro. Opinions?
Huskers2024
hunter

Re: Sx3 or Montefeltro

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Can't go wrong with either one, but the SX3 will be more bang for your buck. I would at least shoulder both of them. It's been a long time since I've shouldered a Montefeltro, but if the rib design is the same as the M2 I tried a couple weeks ago (raised) it would still be the SX3 for me. SX3 has the flat rib and I think all the Benellis are stepped/raised.
Also there is a rebate going on for Browning/Winchester, 8% sales tax rebate, which is going on until Sept 15.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Huskers2024 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:57 pm

The Monty has a flat rib. I agree on the best bang for your buck.
Huskers2024
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Huskers2024 wrote:The Monty has a flat rib. I agree on the best bang for your buck.

Hmm, did not know that. I'll have to shoulder one just for the heck of it next time I get a chance. The M2 and SBE2 don't feel good at all for me.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby MN BMX Dad » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:55 pm

I have no issues with my montefeltro. I changed the shim because didn't think I was looking straight down the rib when shouldered. All good now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
MN BMX Dad
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:34 am

Seems crazy to me that anyone who's used them both would prefer the Winchester, unless it's for recoil reduction. Different strokes...
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:06 am

Love the montefeltro. But, you can get the 3 1/2" in a sx3.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby cootlover » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:16 pm

SX3 feels long and like a toy gun. Montefeltro all day long
cootlover
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:24 am

i've been a long time benelli lover and still have 4 that I really like. I bought an sx3 last year and really, really like it too. It also has a raised rib. I sold an Extrema 2 because I preferred a raised rib. Do the new sx3's have flat ribs now?
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:15 pm

dukhntr wrote: Do the new sx3's have flat ribs now?

You sure it wasn't an SX2, or a trap version? I have a new 20ga, have shot a new 12ga, and a relative bought a 12ga about 4-5 years ago, and they are all flat.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Huskers2024 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Thinking about throwing the maxus into the mix now.
Huskers2024
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:24 am

Best advice you can receive is to test shoot each gun you are thinking of buying. While it's not always possible, it is desirable.

Once you have decided on gauge and action type, shotguns, even moreso than rifles and pistols, are so much a personal preference thing.
mudpack
hunter

Postby coach_1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:46 pm

cootlover wrote:SX3 feels long and like a toy gun. Montefeltro all day long

Really? Benelli's hard slick plastic stocks don't feel like a nerf gun? I have used the Nova, M1, and SBE2. They are all that way. Don't get me wrong, Benelli makes a great gun. The SX3 feels nothing like a toy. I am approaching 3,000 shells through my SX3 with no problems. As big of a fan as I am of the SX3, I don't think you can go wrong with either gun. Go shoot them both and get which fits you and feels the best.
coach_1
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:57 pm

coach_1 wrote:
cootlover wrote:SX3 feels long and like a toy gun. Montefeltro all day long

Really? Benelli's hard slick plastic stocks don't feel like a nerf gun? I have used the Nova, M1, and SBE2. They are all that way. Don't get me wrong, Benelli makes a great gun. The SX3 feels nothing like a toy. I am approaching 3,000 shells through my SX3 with no problems. As big of a fan as I am of the SX3, I don't think you can go wrong with either gun. Go shoot them both and get which fits you and feels the best.

Agreed...my SX3 feels pretty damn well made. It is a workhorse and has over 700 rounds through it in one month, with zero issues.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:49 pm

Wouldn't trade my sx3 for any gun on the market. Over 1000 rounds from 1oz light target loads to the heavy 3.5s no malfunctions. Feels way better than one of my buddies sbe 2 with half the recoil and for a lot less money
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby Huskers2024 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:00 pm

Update: bought the sx3 and liked it so much I bought the 20 too. Can wait to shoot both.
Huskers2024
hunter

Postby coach_1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:57 am

Huskers2024 wrote:Update: bought the sx3 and liked it so much I bought the 20 too. Can wait to shoot both.

You won't be disappointed. I'm wanting one in 20 also to match my 12. For the kids of course. :yes:
coach_1
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:46 am

coach_1 wrote:
Huskers2024 wrote:Update: bought the sx3 and liked it so much I bought the 20 too. Can wait to shoot both.

You won't be disappointed. I'm wanting one in 20 also to match my 12. For the kids of course. :yes:

Normally I am a pump guy...BPS 10 and BPS 12 for waterfowl, but that SX3 20 I have is a sweet gun. It may end up stealing a lot of the action this season.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Seems crazy to me that anyone who's used them both would prefer the Winchester, unless it's for recoil reduction. Different strokes...

Really???? I've shot both and the X3 still fit better. Benelli is not worth the money unless it fit like a glove, both guns are reliable there's no question. Fit is the bottom line on any gun.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:56 pm

I really like my 20ga SX3. Had a small problem with it right out of the box, but cured it with an easy modification. I agree it is a great value. I don't use it on ducks, but it sees lots of use on live pigeons; as many as 500 shells a day, but usually about 300.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:33 pm

Huskers2024 wrote:Thinking about throwing the maxus into the mix now.

The Maxus is just a hot rod waterfowl specific SX3. I have both the SX3 and the Max and the Max has some nice features. But the gas system and the action are the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4
Takeem406
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:11 am

duckslayer74 wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:Seems crazy to me that anyone who's used them both would prefer the Winchester, unless it's for recoil reduction. Different strokes...

Really???? I've shot both and the X3 still fit better. Benelli is not worth the money unless it fit like a glove, both guns are reliable there's no question. Fit is the bottom line on any gun.

Having experience with both, yes, really. I wouldn't keep a SX3 if you gave it to me. But I'm glad you like your gun, that's as it should be. "Different strokes..."
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:38 am

Rick Hall wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

Having experience with both, yes, really. I wouldn't keep a SX3 if you gave it to me. But I'm glad you like your gun, that's as it should be. "Different strokes..."

I have shot both quite a bit. Same opinion here in sticking with the Monte
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby MuddyWaders » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:15 am

Not to beat a dead horse and I know my post comes in rather late, but for those who still check older posts I will chime in and say the Benelli is an Inertia Driven shotgun and the Winchester SX3 is a gas gun. SX3 are well made to me and there is quality to the gun. It shoots with a little less recoil than the Benelli. SX3 is a workhorse of a gun and it is well made. Doesn't feel like a toy, or plastic to me, rather I find it light enough to carry around and just heavy enough for the 3 1/2 inch loads I put through it due to the recoil pad config it comes with. It Cycles everything from a 7/8 oz load to a 3 1/2 inch load without a hiccup. I know the Benelli can probably do the same but I have shot both and the SX3 is a bit tamer. Both are reliable guns and good guns and it will come down to fit, price, and value for your money and what you will be happy with. SX3 is a joy to clean. Breaks down real easy and assembles just as easy. Two good guns to choose from but I just wanted to mention the inertia vs gas gun because I have not seen anyone bring this point up.
Happy Shooting,
MuddyWaders
In the eyes of a tyrant the patriot is a terrorist...
We need to vote politicians who bribe voters out of office...
The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.. Aldo Gucci
MuddyWaders
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:47 am

MuddyWaders wrote:Not to beat a dead horse and I know my post comes in rather late, but for those who still check older posts I will chime in and say the Benelli is an Inertia Driven shotgun and the Winchester SX3 is a gas gun. SX3 are well made to me and there is quality to the gun. It shoots with a little less recoil than the Benelli. SX3 is a workhorse of a gun and it is well made. Doesn't feel like a toy, or plastic to me, rather I find it light enough to carry around and just heavy enough for the 3 1/2 inch loads I put through it due to the recoil pad config it comes with. It Cycles everything from a 7/8 oz load to a 3 1/2 inch load without a hiccup. I know the Benelli can probably do the same but I have shot both and the SX3 is a bit tamer. Both are reliable guns and good guns and it will come down to fit, price, and value for your money and what you will be happy with. SX3 is a joy to clean. Breaks down real easy and assembles just as easy. Two good guns to choose from but I just wanted to mention the inertia vs gas gun because I have not seen anyone bring this point up.
Happy Shooting,
MuddyWaders

My experiance is totally different. After having an SX3 the last 2 seasons I am dissapointed with how it performs. It has jammed on me almost every hunt this year so far..... I dont know if something is broke or what but I have had a lot of headaches with this gun.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum