Help me select a shotgun

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Help me select a shotgun

Postby nickolb » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Hello Everyone!

I am researching the purchase of a new shotgun. This will be my first autoloader and I have big plans for it. The intended use for this gun will be quail, dove, pheasant, waterfowl, and shooting clays with buddies.

The options I have decided on are 12ga with 28" barrel and I have narrowed it down to these models:

Winchester SX3
Browning Maxus
Beretta A400
Benelli SBE 2

I am unable to shoot any of these before I purchase. I have shouldered them all and they all feel good. I am looking for a soft shooting gun that I can run a case of target loads through in a day and not be beat up. I like the price of the SX3 but am unsure about having a plastic bit in the gas system. If I had not asked the advice of this community I would have purchased the Maxus. My friends think I should get the SBE2 or the A400 but it's hard for me to justify the price when the SX3 is half the cost and the Maxus is hundreds less. Reliability and manufacture support are paramount. I don't mind paying for something like the A400 or SBE2 if I am going to be happier down the road. How my buddies feel about my gun is irrelevant.

I also have the chance to pick up a used Browning "new" A5 for $850. But I didn't add it to the list because from what I understand that is a new model and it hasn't been out long enough to have a proven track record.

What's your opinion, which should I buy?
nickolb
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:23 pm


Re: Help me select a shotgun

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:42 pm

:welcome: Any of the options that you mentioned will work fine. What I can not understand is how can those guns fit you the same??? Anyway, from what you stated it is just a matter of opinion(Ford, GMC, Dodge ect..). If my opinion matters to you I own a Maxus and the SX3 and they are both very nice guns. Others on here may own these guns and NOT like them at all.
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:52 pm
Location: OVER THE HILLS AND FAR AWAY

Re: Help me select a shotgun

Postby nickolb » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:33 pm

Thanks for the reply. I guess I don't really know how to tell if one fits me better than the other. I am going to look at them tomorrow again. Any tips?
nickolb
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:23 pm

Re: Help me select a shotgun

Postby winchester1852 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:16 pm

any of those you mention will do what you want it too do. I suggest you stay away from the a400 because beretta makes new models alot and if you bought the gun you paid $1800 for a gun thats going to be obsolete in 5-10 years and can't find parts for it if it breaks down. pick wisely do lots of research think future not present, i own the sx3 like it cant complain. and report back with what one you get :beer:
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 am
Location: CANADA

Re: Help me select a shotgun

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:26 pm

nickolb wrote: I like the price of the SX3 but am unsure about having a plastic bit in the gas system.

:huh: Are you referring to the sleeve that goes over the magazine tube?
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4175
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Help me select a shotgun

Postby GMC2500HD » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:37 pm

Replace that a400 with an xtreme 2. All of those guns you listed are on my narrowed down list, but today I replaced the a400 with an extreme 2 after shooting one. But I will say I didn't ever fire the a400, but yes it is like the for,gmc,dodge thing. Get what fits, point, balances the best for you
GMC2500HD
hunter
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:46 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Help me select a shotgun

Postby nickolb » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:55 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
nickolb wrote: I like the price of the SX3 but am unsure about having a plastic bit in the gas system.

:huh: Are you referring to the sleeve that goes over the magazine tube?


Yes.
nickolb
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:23 pm

Re: Help me select a shotgun

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:07 pm

nickolb wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
nickolb wrote: I like the price of the SX3 but am unsure about having a plastic bit in the gas system.

:huh: Are you referring to the sleeve that goes over the magazine tube?


Yes.

I've taken a 12 apart, and took my 20 apart today...seems like a pretty durable part. And the pin that sticks out slides into the receiver...don't see where/how it could go wrong.
I am biased toward the SX3 so I would have to recommend it. They are priced right for sure, and I know 2 other people who own one besides me, not one single issue between the 3 of us.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4175
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Help me select a shotgun

Postby Nutt » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:42 pm

I bought an sx3 last Thursday and I'm pretty happy so far but I haven't really put it through hell yet. Only malfunction I've had out of it was the bolt didn't seat all the way once. Other than that its fire the other 299 rounds flawlessly.
Nutt
hunter
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Help me select a shotgun

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:55 am

Nutt wrote:I bought an sx3 last Thursday and I'm pretty happy so far but I haven't really put it through hell yet. Only malfunction I've had out of it was the bolt didn't seat all the way once. Other than that its fire the other 299 rounds flawlessly.

That happened with a 12 for me, but not my 20. Wasn't broken in yet.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4175
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Help me select a shotgun

Postby nickolb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:04 am

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments!

I have now narrowed it down to the Browning Maxus or the Winchester SX3.
I'm going to the shop today to check them out again...I may come home with something.
Basically I have cash in hand to pick up the Winchester and will have to wait a week or so to get the Browning. Maybe a lot of my decision will come down to if I can wait or now :lol3:
nickolb
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:23 pm

Re: Help me select a shotgun

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:15 am

nickolb wrote:Thanks everyone for your helpful comments!

I have now narrowed it down to the Browning Maxus or the Winchester SX3.
I'm going to the shop today to check them out again...I may come home with something.
Basically I have cash in hand to pick up the Winchester and will have to wait a week or so to get the Browning. Maybe a lot of my decision will come down to if I can wait or now :lol3:

Shouldn't go wrong with either. I just like how the SX3 looks.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4175
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Help me select a shotgun

Postby mudpack » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:19 pm

The SX3 is a Browning Gold in a different suit. It's a quality piece.
The Beretta is an excellent choice.
I'd rule out the Benelli if you plan to do lots of target shooting.

Buy the one that calls your name when you pick it up. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Help me select a shotgun

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:12 pm

sx3 and maxus are practically the same thing.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 am
Location: CANADA

Re: Help me select a shotgun

Postby nickolb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:42 pm

I picked up the winchester SX3. It definitely spoke to me and was in the camo that I wanted. Thanks y'all for helping me pick out my new gun. This forum and it's community are AWESOME!
nickolb
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:23 pm

Re: Help me select a shotgun

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:34 am

Congratulations on your new shotgun. I hope it serves you well for many years. To me the SX3 is closer in fit and style to the Browning Silver and not so much like the Maxus.
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:52 pm
Location: OVER THE HILLS AND FAR AWAY


Return to Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests