Grace period off the road

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Grace period off the road

Postby Goose Doctors » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:48 pm

Hey guys, wondering if you know the grace period that is allowed off the roads to get to navigable water. We found some good streams and ponds that come right up or go under the road. Is it legal to park the truck and pull the boats into the water to hunt them? I know navigable water is legal to hunt, but in some cases the water is about 15 feet from the side of the road... But I believe there is a grace period that is considered "public property".
Goose Doctors
hunter

Re: Grace period off the road

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:35 pm

Not exactly sure what the actual distance is but we hunt a pond that is 10 feet off the road and have had the warden called on us before. The warden said we were perfectly legal and the owners surrounding the pond couldn't do anything. I would call your local warden just to get the real distance to be safe.

Sent while sitting at work!
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby Goose Doctors » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:38 pm

sounds good ill give him a call tomorrow afternoon. Can't beat those ponds and little areas that are perfectly legal and stacked with the birds that people dont hunt.... except im almost positive the warden will stop by for a visit come hunting season
Goose Doctors
hunter

Postby 314 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:08 am

I believe what you are refering to is the road right of way or ROW. This is where the county usually maintains and the utilities usually are located. The standard on two lane roads is 33' from the centerline. Power poles are usually on that mark around my area. just as a reference.
Newb

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting