hunting kansas

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

hunting kansas

Postby duckslayer1017 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:52 pm

im looking to hunt Kansas for ducks in late December or January and looking for as much info as I can. For that time of year, what would be the best part of the state to hunt? is it possible to scout and ask for permission or is that pretty tough? I run FFD's and DSD's for my field spread and ghg for my water decoys so I can hunt water and fields. im from Minnesota and our season closes in late November so im just looking to extent my season a bit. if someone wants to trade a hunt here in mn or in nodak id be happy to do that. or sodak if you drew the license for there. im a respectful hunter and leave properties as I found them. im not looking for hot spots or anything like that. just looking for some info. thanks in advance. im sure im forgetting a few questions so any info is greatly appreciated!
duckslayer1017
hunter

Re: hunting kansas

Postby MinneKans » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:53 am

Duckslayer, you have walked in to a hornets nest. I too am from MN and hunt KS due to having a sister living in the state. These KS boys keep their duck hunting close to their vests and righfully so. KS has much fewer sloughs and watersheds to hunt from compared to MN so space is at a premium. Good luck.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby duckslayer1017 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:00 am

Well you are a very lucky guy! And ya I figured it was going to be tough but it's something I really want to do so it's worth a shot!
duckslayer1017
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:11 am

You might look at Oklahoma, I hear they are allowing 8 honkers, just keep on driving through ks. Dont be like the fowl life guys in my location.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby flynfold » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:06 am

We could draw you a map and mark all of the good spots and GPS directions. Bet some of the guys on this form would drive up and pick you up. Be careful for what you ask for, you just might get it.
flynfold
hunter

Postby duckslayer1017 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:53 am

Lol all I'm askin for is a little info. Not lookin to stir any trouble.
duckslayer1017
hunter

Postby duckslayer1017 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:54 am

duckdozer, what are the fowl life boys doin to your area??
duckslayer1017
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:48 pm

Late December/early January can be a crapshoot. Many seasons our best spots are freezing solid at that time. This season looks like it will be a cool one and early freeze-ups are likely.
Big reservoirs might be your best bet, especially those in the southeastern part of the state. (Do you have a boat??) Check the KDWP&T website for some possibilities.
Field hunts are another possibility, but public land for field hunts is virtually non-existent. Scout when you get here, then knock on doors, all I can tell you.
That's how we do it.
mudpack
hunter

Postby duckslayer1017 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:12 pm

Any info is much appreciated. Thank you very much!!
duckslayer1017
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:31 pm

Duckslayer, I second what mudpack says, you will find the Kansas Wildlife and parks web site most helpful as they try and post weekly waterfowl population reports. Don't come to expect to hunt on the first day, all the website info in the world wont get you into the ducks the first day, First get some kind of an idea where to go from your research and then fill the truck with gas, fill the thermos with coffee and drive, drive , drive , hopefully you don't mind scouting as its the key to success in Kansas.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby duckslayer1017 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:18 pm

well I love to scout! so ill grab a case of monster and hit the gravel for a couple days and put on the miles. ive got no problem scouting for 3 days if I get 2 days of decent hunting!!
duckslayer1017
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:54 pm

I don't know that scouting 3 days will give you 2 of decent hunting anymore. Hard to get on fields with the deer leasing thing in parts of SE Kansas. Combine that with everybody and their dog being a waterfowl hunter anymore a lot of times the field is taken the second a webbed foot touches down in it.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckslayer1017 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:16 pm

I figured I'd run into the deer hunting thing sooner or later.
duckslayer1017
hunter

Postby mlrdklr » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:39 pm

In South East KS it is no joke about deer hunting. The Louisiana guys are swarming my area! I am just fortunate enough that my wifes father is a farmer and thats able to create some opportunity! The public reservoirs better hope you have a boat! Or your gonna be setting with the duck dynasty guys 50yds from you. Its slim pickins anymore in Kansas. I remember days 5 years ago I could go just about anywhere around and have a good chance and thats just not the case anymore. Its a shame!!
mlrdklr
hunter

Postby duckslayer1017 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:21 pm

The robertsons are up hunting public ground in Kansas!!??
duckslayer1017
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Duckslayer if you are taking vacation days, Id look at the Kansas website I mentioned and see when the firearms deer season is and then come a week after it ends if at all possible, I for one don't like hunting the public reservoirs for ducks or geese when its deer season, there are to many bad shots throwing 30-06 bullets around for me to feel safe.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby EcatMagoo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:45 pm

duckslayer1017 wrote:The robertsons are up hunting public ground in Kansas!!??

He meant all the newbie hunters who have swarmed the marshes since the show duck dynasty has become so popular.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby mlrdklr » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:55 pm

The duck dynasty guys I mention are the tool bags that show up at shooting light, sound God awful, and ruin it for alot of other's, funny that you actually mention the Robertson's they actually bought a large piece of property around 15 miles from where I live
mlrdklr
hunter

Postby duckslayer1017 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:07 pm

I can take vacation whenever so I will definetly look into that. And ya I know what you mean. I stay on private property when it's deer season here too. WAY too many idiots shooting an hour before the sun comes up. And ya we have that same problem around here. Every body and their mother has become a duck hunter since that show came on. How many acres did they buy up??
duckslayer1017
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:26 pm

Duckslayer most of rookies hunting waterfowl do it on the weekends, so middle of the week should be decent for you. I retired 3 years ago so Im lucky enough that I don't have to put up with them and believe me there lots of dummies out there. I think the worse case on a week end that Ive seen is a group of these idiots blazing away one morning about 300 yards from me at a local reservoir. these guys must of burnt a case of shells. It was a slow morning for me anyway , never fired a shot and only saw about 50 ducks total, finally a buddy and I picked up and seeing one of their party walking to their truck that was next to ours, I said tearing them up, he said yep they're all over the place, said they'd have limited 2 hours ago but they weren't shooting for squat. He invited us over to see their bag, I couldn't believe my eyes, these dummies were shooting cormorants, He commented that those had to be the biggest Mergansers hed ever shot. I just said well have a good day, walked to the truck, where a game warden had just arrived , we asked how we were doing and I said not worth a piece of rat crap and he says well whos doing all the shooting, I just pointed their way, got in the truck ,drove home and wondered just how much of a fine those rookies got.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby mlrdklr » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Something around 80 acres not % 100 on that though I cant remember the exact number. They have more than that around the South East part. A Friend of mine is Friends with the guy they bought it from. Mainly for deer hunting Nice BIG house came with it.
mlrdklr
hunter

Postby duckslayer1017 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:54 am

Ya I think I'll stick to hunting during the week lol that sounds like a joke!!
duckslayer1017
hunter

Postby TBS » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:58 am

duckslayer1017 wrote:Ya I think I'll stick to hunting during the week lol that sounds like a joke!!

That won't help you much anymore in KS. According to my log book, we encountered more hunters on public areas during the week than weekends. Many of them are retired locals, but I think the biggest reason we see more pressure during the weekdays is because of non-residents coming here and hunting all week or multiple weeks. They camp out on state park areas and hunt, hunt, hunt. Kansas is a migration state, not a wintering state. These birds stop for a week or two to fatten up and refuel for their flight south. Hunting pressure absolutely impacts quality opportunities in this state. Combine that with the absolute explosion in waterfowl hunting over the past 3-4 years, many of us have gotten frustrated and moved away from the large reservoirs and marshes. Your best bet is to travel away from any largely populated area and try to find private fields to hunt. That way you can enjoy yourself and not deal with the "circus" as we call it. I've pretty much given up on public hunting in KS. I lived in west TN and hunted Arkansas, Mississippi, and neither were as bad as Kansas has gotten. Really sad situation, but when excessive competition is created for a very limited resource, this is what we get. Don't forget, KS is dead last amongst US states in public hunting areas. That means most areas will be crowded, you can bet on it, regardless of the day of the week.

Good luck and be safe, and curteous.
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby duckslayer1017 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:50 am

Ok thank you!!
duckslayer1017
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:11 pm

TBS wrote: we encountered more hunters on public areas during the week than weekends. Many of them are retired locals, but I think the biggest reason we see more pressure during the weekdays is because of non-residents coming here and hunting all week or multiple weeks. They camp out on state park areas and hunt, hunt, hunt. .

As a "local", I noticed the same thing during the 2011 season (we had no 2012 season to speak of). I also am retired and hunt on weekdays, seldom on Saturdays or Sundays (openers and closers excepted). Lots of OOS'ers hunting on weekdays on Kansas' largest waterfowl area.
Used to be I'd have half a pool all to myself on Thursday. No more.
mudpack
hunter

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting