Duck hunter migration

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby NealLauderman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:11 pm

Scruggs... Great posts. I can't stand elitists. Everyone deserves respect until they do something to lose it.
NealLauderman
hunter
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:05 am


Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:46 pm

NOVAggie wrote:
scruggs12 wrote:
NOVAggie wrote:
scruggs12 wrote:
I agree, stupid things are done. You had a teacher/mentor to set you straight, that is awesome. Not everyone has that luxury and is left to their own devices.


True. The problem is when some of these newbies are told they are doing something wrong, stupid, dangerous, etc. they tell others to F off. We see it all the time on the water. Take the time to go over to their boat and tell them what they are doing wrong and how it screws everyone else up and we get an F off, or similar.

a lot of duck hunters subscribe to the entitlement disease that is killing our country



NOVA,

That is a different issue all together. I have had "veteran" or whatever set up too close as well. It works both ways. Some bad apples don't ruin the whole lot. When someone on here asks for help, advise, etc., what do they typically get in response? Rocks thrown, "have nots", F off, scout. Where is the sportsmanship in that? It would also seem, the entitlement thing goes both ways.


I hope you are not implying I say that? See the previous newbie NOVA thread.

You too should not throw the veterans in and ruin the whole lot. Besides, Im not veteran. I was new too, especially to the bass ackwards VA regs around duck hunting. I had people help me along the way. I try to do the same. I just get a lot more new guys that turn out to be douches.



NOVA,

No implications towards you, don't know you. However, if you go back through the "New Duck Hunter"; "New to VA"; "Help"; etc. posts you will find 80+% of the time you will see either no help, cruddy responses, or no responses. Unfortunately, if no one shows a younger/newer hunter the way, you will continue to see that. I would suspect that respect is needed both ways to change anything. If one puts a post up here and gets blasted, how should they react in the field to someone telling them they are doing it wrong, shooting bad ducks, bad calling, etc? No one likes to be chastised while looking for help. If the self proclaimed "correct duck hunters" would give more advise and less crappy attitude towards the "noobs", "come heres", "have nots", "duck tards" a change may occur. You don't have to direct them to a specific creek or GPS coordinates. Explain the etiquette that you wish to see. Do I get down right bitter when someone sets up to close, calls at birds working my spread, sky busting? You better believe it! Can I really do a whole hell of a lot about it? Nope. It is also others time in the field as well. So who is anybody to say why they are wrong? And yes, there are a ton of douches as well.
scruggs12
hunter
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby Trv » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:57 pm

X2 what Scruggs is saying. :thumbsup:
Trv
hunter
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby recoil slinger » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:00 am

Everone started somewhere. Ive seen the most seasoned of hunter do some dumb stuff due to frustration. Due to the latest duck dynasty phase, the new duck hunter does not have a chance on these forums.my advice would be the same as muds, listen. Scout, dont look for limits but test your own and see how far your willing to go. It can be great or a waste of time. That is what makes it a passion :biggrin:
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
User avatar
recoil slinger
hunter
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby Mudgun » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:38 am

This board is a great example of this. Remember Buck901290 the lanyard king? He made a stupid blind. It was 4" PVC or something and was ten feet tall on a 1236 jon. Several people told him that PVC is heavy and brittle and not ridgid enough. Use 3/4 emt conduit. Oh no!! the ducktard crusaders came out in force and defended this kid to the bitter end. So he walked away thinking he was right an people were just meanies. The reality is, he was given good advice and people allowed him to ignore it.
Same with the "I wanna sea duck hunt in a 1660 mod v" threads. Same with a lot of stuff. There are guys on here that kill more ducks in a week than most kill in a season. Fact. They are doing something right and when they start talking, swallow your pride and listen to what they have to say. I do.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter
 
Posts: 1100
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:06 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:27 am

Mudgun,

I don't disagree about the advise thing. However,why should he not have pride in what he built? If it doesn't work out, he will be out the expense but will have learned and can build upon that. Advise is just that, advise. There are no written rules about advise being law. So if someone advises a person to do something and that person chooses to ignore it or vary an idea, they now become a ducktard??? Do you 100% of the time take someone's advise to heart and do 100% what they advised, 100% of the time? The "fact" that people kill more ducks in a week, blah, blah, whatever doesn't ALWAYS make them better or more knowledgeable does it? It could also mean they have a blind, private spot, luck to be on a good spot. I have set up in spots that should have been a duck magnet and seen very few birds. On the flip side, I have been in a questionable area and had great shoots. Yes, there are some/a lot of idiots, but who is anyone else to rain on their parade?? Why not just let them ruin their own hunt and you enjoy yours. If they ruin your hunt, sorry, but it happens. If they shoot a merganser, why should they not learn that they taste like crap and the dog will only somewhat stomach it? You get better through trial and error, not being shot down. I have tried various things over the years that, in hind site, was retarded. Guess what, I learned and improved upon my mistakes, it's how you get better.
scruggs12
hunter
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:41 am

what some seem to forget is the internet has not always been around, so 30 years ago people went out and searched for spots, learned on their own how to do something and improved with age or quit. these forums are for the new breed that are to freakin lazy to get out there and search for spots and learn. if you dont want to be bashed, made fun of,or given advice that you dont want to hear then dont come asking in here. grow a set and do something for yourself
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
User avatar
imaduckin up north
hunter
 
Posts: 3610
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: to far north

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:58 am

imaduckin up north wrote:what some seem to forget is the internet has not always been around, so 30 years ago people went out and searched for spots, learned on their own how to do something and improved with age or quit. these forums are for the new breed that are to freakin lazy to get out there and search for spots and learn. if you dont want to be bashed, made fun of,or given advice that you dont want to hear then dont come asking in here. grow a set and do something for yourself


Atta boy duckin'. Times have changed and the internet IS around. 30 years ago, you could use lead, different limits, not as populated, arguably lesser quality gear, no Google earth. If these resources are available, why not use them? It is called adapting. If I look on Google Earth, find a spot, and then go scout out that area am I working smarter not harder? Why do all the things that were done 30 years ago if they can be improved upon or varied? If I only had a man throwing a rock icon!!! It's not about "growing a set". If I have an idea or thought, why not run it by the masses and get some other input? Does it have to be slammed because it's not how "I would do it"? How do you know they don't listen to it? Do you see each and every person on this site out in the field? Some probably do listen, some probably don't listen. There is a post about a guy asking decoy questions, he received advise and thoughts and posted about another brand after he received several answers about a different type. Okay, I admit, he got an answer and disregarded it and kept on. But hey, it's his money and set up.
scruggs12
hunter
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby kahunna » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:59 am

"Everybody wants the big time, they just don't want to work for it."
kahunna
hunter
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:09 am

kahunna wrote:"Everybody wants the big time, they just don't want to work for it."


Or it's so frustrating dealing with it. Why do people not want changes in the blind laws? Because they FEAR they won't have their prime spots locked up anymore and they will have to become a newbie again. They have put in the work, or held the blind for so long that they don't want to deal with starting over. It was probably a lot easier years ago before the masses. Yes, they did the work and put in the time/effort in an era where it was not as populated. Try it now! Does that give the right to judge and demean? Sure, you can still scratch out a blind here and there, but your odds have gone down to <1-2%. It will put everyone on the same playing field and they can no longer look down their barrel stickers at the "have not's".
scruggs12
hunter
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby nickp9797 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:01 am

scruggs12 wrote:
kahunna wrote:"Everybody wants the big time, they just don't want to work for it."


Or it's so frustrating dealing with it. Why do people not want changes in the blind laws? Because they FEAR they won't have their prime spots locked up anymore and they will have to become a newbie again. They have put in the work, or held the blind for so long that they don't want to deal with starting over. It was probably a lot easier years ago before the masses. Yes, they did the work and put in the time/effort in an era where it was not as populated. Try it now! Does that give the right to judge and demean? Sure, you can still scratch out a blind here and there, but your odds have gone down to <1-2%. It will put everyone on the same playing field and they can no longer look down their barrel stickers at the "have not's".


So what is your point?

The barriers to entry into duck hunting are the same whether you have hunted for 30 years or 3 days. There are plenty of places to hunt in VA, they may not be the best or 250 yards from the ramp, but there is plenty of water to hunt. Is some newbie going to get a prime spot on the Potomac, pamunkey, or back bay? no probably not, but why should they? Others shouldn't have to give up what they have put time and money into for years just because some guy watched a video the night before and all the sudden wants to be a duck hunter. Now if you want to argue the public water aspect of blind laws, that's a whole other topic.
nickp9797
hunter
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:56 pm
Location: Suffolk, Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby lbhansford » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:02 am

imaduckin up north wrote:what some seem to forget is the internet has not always been around, so 30 years ago people went out and searched for spots, learned on their own how to do something and improved with age or quit. these forums are for the new breed that are to freakin lazy to get out there and search for spots and learn. if you dont want to be bashed, made fun of,or given advice that you dont want to hear then dont come asking in here. grow a set and do something for yourself


I second and third that one and that's coming from an IT guy that uses technology all the time. nothing wrong with google maps. the part i cannot stand is when you have the cyber scouter that just looks at google or browses for actually Xs on the forums without driving there preseason to realize "hey there is a duck blind here" so instead they show up at 7am fashionably late and blow up your spot or go there when you are not there and make a bad name for responsible hunters.


I have taken my fair of newbies out and taught them what i know, bad habits, good ideas, and everything in between. the diference is, and its a big one: the people i have taught came into it wanting to learn, willing to put in the time, scouting, reading, talking to others in person(not putting my spots out on the web for any joe blow to read on a forum and try out the next day). They in return have learned a great deal either by example or through mistakes made and ran with it. They now have their own blinds and as a group we all succeed in our quests more often as a team because of it.

dont post "where can i hunt?" as your first post and I will not flame you promise! If you say "hey, im new to the -------- area. Any local duck hunters want to catch up for a cold beer and talk about getting into VA duck hunting?" You will get a friendly hello and maybe some worthwhile advice or a tasty beverage.
User avatar
lbhansford
hunter
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:19 am
Location: yorktown VA

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:22 am

nickp9797 wrote:
scruggs12 wrote:
kahunna wrote:"Everybody wants the big time, they just don't want to work for it."


Or it's so frustrating dealing with it. Why do people not want changes in the blind laws? Because they FEAR they won't have their prime spots locked up anymore and they will have to become a newbie again. They have put in the work, or held the blind for so long that they don't want to deal with starting over. It was probably a lot easier years ago before the masses. Yes, they did the work and put in the time/effort in an era where it was not as populated. Try it now! Does that give the right to judge and demean? Sure, you can still scratch out a blind here and there, but your odds have gone down to <1-2%. It will put everyone on the same playing field and they can no longer look down their barrel stickers at the "have not's".


So what is your point?

The barriers to entry into duck hunting are the same whether you have hunted for 30 years or 3 days. There are plenty of places to hunt in VA, they may not be the best or 250 yards from the ramp, but there is plenty of water to hunt. Is some newbie going to get a prime spot on the Potomac, pamunkey, or back bay? no probably not, but why should they? Others shouldn't have to give up what they have put time and money into for years just because some guy watched a video the night before and all the sudden wants to be a duck hunter. Now if you want to argue the public water aspect of blind laws, that's a whole other topic.


I thought my point was fairly clear. Just because you have these spots does not make you a better duck hunter, just luckier. You can only do so much with a decoy spread, camouflage, etc. If you are at a spot ducks want to use or be, you will have a good shoot. This is by no means a blind law post, just a reminder that all duck hunters were new at some point and should be treated a little more like a new duck hunter and less like a criminal. The whole question of why should they be allowed to hunt an area, on PUBLIC WATER should be the question of why shouldn't they be allowed to.

The blind laws have been done to death.
scruggs12
hunter
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby Duck Diver » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:31 am

The good ole boys dont want new comers. They have their 12 miles of river front locked up and could care less if any one else hunts.



I'll be the first to laugh the day the blind laws get smashed. -Even if it takes 50 years.
User avatar
Duck Diver
hunter
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:10 am

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby flint4045 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:06 am

scruggs12 wrote:Mudgun,

I have no reason to doubt you. I just think its stupid to bash every and all newcomers. How is the sport supposed to grow and peak more interest if you are getting bashed publicly on your first post. People need to sit back and understand that just because you are new or inexperienced doesn't mean you are something less than a "veteran" of the sport. It's just stupid. My point is, everyone has to start something to become experienced at something, except for demi-gods. Why knock them down so early on? Probably fear.


Grow and peak new interest is one thing. I see a whole bunch of pretty boy wanna bees running around my neck of the woods.
A store bought duck band 550 cord necklace and a duck commander tee shirt does not make one a duck hunter.
Just a passing fad for most of them I think. Couple of cold icy mornings should thin the herd .
flint4045
hunter
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:54 pm
Location: northern neck

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby nickp9797 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:16 am

scruggs12 wrote:
nickp9797 wrote:
scruggs12 wrote:
kahunna wrote:"Everybody wants the big time, they just don't want to work for it."


Or it's so frustrating dealing with it. Why do people not want changes in the blind laws? Because they FEAR they won't have their prime spots locked up anymore and they will have to become a newbie again. They have put in the work, or held the blind for so long that they don't want to deal with starting over. It was probably a lot easier years ago before the masses. Yes, they did the work and put in the time/effort in an era where it was not as populated. Try it now! Does that give the right to judge and demean? Sure, you can still scratch out a blind here and there, but your odds have gone down to <1-2%. It will put everyone on the same playing field and they can no longer look down their barrel stickers at the "have not's".


So what is your point?

The barriers to entry into duck hunting are the same whether you have hunted for 30 years or 3 days. There are plenty of places to hunt in VA, they may not be the best or 250 yards from the ramp, but there is plenty of water to hunt. Is some newbie going to get a prime spot on the Potomac, pamunkey, or back bay? no probably not, but why should they? Others shouldn't have to give up what they have put time and money into for years just because some guy watched a video the night before and all the sudden wants to be a duck hunter. Now if you want to argue the public water aspect of blind laws, that's a whole other topic.


I thought my point was fairly clear. Just because you have these spots does not make you a better duck hunter, just luckier. You can only do so much with a decoy spread, camouflage, etc. If you are at a spot ducks want to use or be, you will have a good shoot. This is by no means a blind law post, just a reminder that all duck hunters were new at some point and should be treated a little more like a new duck hunter and less like a criminal. The whole question of why should they be allowed to hunt an area, on PUBLIC WATER should be the question of why shouldn't they be allowed to.

The blind laws have been done to death.


I agree they shouldn't be treated like criminals, but they also should show some respect as well. Everyone wants it to be fair for everyone. But I don't think its fair to the people that put the time and money into finding places to hunt to just give away spots or provide spots on the internet just because someone asks. Some things in life you have to earn, not just given to you by mommy, daddy or the government. Learn to read, do some research and figure it out for yourself.
nickp9797
hunter
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:56 pm
Location: Suffolk, Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby kahunna » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:19 am

"Or it's so frustrating dealing with it." That's your post, not mine. Mine (once again) is: "Everybody wants the big time, they just don't want to work for it."
Frustration IS part of "working for it." You think it's not hard holding onto spots with "the masses" coming on the intrawebs and asking "Where can I hunt? I've got decoys and a boat, I just need a spot to go to. I can share expenses. I've got a gun and a dog. What public hunting spot in Virginia is good?" Knowing the answers to those questions is part of "working for it." You work every bit as hard keeping places to hunt waterfowl in Virginia as you do trying to get places to hunt waterfowl in Virginia (whether you are a newbie, or not). That's part of "working for it."There ain't no shortcuts in starting out to waterfowl...never have been in the past either. That's always been part of working for it. "Haves" and "have nots" is a convenient excuse for not working for it...there are still plenty of spots available to hunt waterfowl, blind laws or not.
You may want to refer newbies to the two and a half year old sticky post on this forum posted by cut, that gives a new waterfowler all the start-up info he/she could handle for a year or two. Then, maybe he/she would post up a newbie thread on the intrawebs...my bet is that his/her language and questions would be different than those above.
And finally, the sarcastic humor (that we haven't been ask yet to check at the door before participating in this forum) is a reflection of the frustration with the above, not an individual...most here recognize that.
kahunna
hunter
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:29 am

nickp9797 wrote:
scruggs12 wrote:
nickp9797 wrote:
scruggs12 wrote:
kahunna wrote:"Everybody wants the big time, they just don't want to work for it."


Or it's so frustrating dealing with it. Why do people not want changes in the blind laws? Because they FEAR they won't have their prime spots locked up anymore and they will have to become a newbie again. They have put in the work, or held the blind for so long that they don't want to deal with starting over. It was probably a lot easier years ago before the masses. Yes, they did the work and put in the time/effort in an era where it was not as populated. Try it now! Does that give the right to judge and demean? Sure, you can still scratch out a blind here and there, but your odds have gone down to <1-2%. It will put everyone on the same playing field and they can no longer look down their barrel stickers at the "have not's".


So what is your point?

The barriers to entry into duck hunting are the same whether you have hunted for 30 years or 3 days. There are plenty of places to hunt in VA, they may not be the best or 250 yards from the ramp, but there is plenty of water to hunt. Is some newbie going to get a prime spot on the Potomac, pamunkey, or back bay? no probably not, but why should they? Others shouldn't have to give up what they have put time and money into for years just because some guy watched a video the night before and all the sudden wants to be a duck hunter. Now if you want to argue the public water aspect of blind laws, that's a whole other topic.


I thought my point was fairly clear. Just because you have these spots does not make you a better duck hunter, just luckier. You can only do so much with a decoy spread, camouflage, etc. If you are at a spot ducks want to use or be, you will have a good shoot. This is by no means a blind law post, just a reminder that all duck hunters were new at some point and should be treated a little more like a new duck hunter and less like a criminal. The whole question of why should they be allowed to hunt an area, on PUBLIC WATER should be the question of why shouldn't they be allowed to.

The blind laws have been done to death.


I agree they shouldn't be treated like criminals, but they also should show some respect as well. Everyone wants it to be fair for everyone. But I don't think its fair to the people that put the time and money into finding places to hunt to just give away spots or provide spots on the internet just because someone asks. Some things in life you have to earn, not just given to you by mommy, daddy or the government. Learn to read, do some research and figure it out for yourself.


Nick,

Fully agree, buddy. Part of putting in time and money is looking at WMA's online. Who can actually drive to all WMA's in VA? The post referring someone to look at the DGIF website is all that is needed. It starts them out in the right direction. But a post that comes out of the gate being crappy towards any newcomer is plain stupid and shows the lack of respect of which you speak. That is how this got started.
scruggs12
hunter
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:38 am

flint4045 wrote:
scruggs12 wrote:Mudgun,

I have no reason to doubt you. I just think its stupid to bash every and all newcomers. How is the sport supposed to grow and peak more interest if you are getting bashed publicly on your first post. People need to sit back and understand that just because you are new or inexperienced doesn't mean you are something less than a "veteran" of the sport. It's just stupid. My point is, everyone has to start something to become experienced at something, except for demi-gods. Why knock them down so early on? Probably fear.


Grow and peak new interest is one thing. I see a whole bunch of pretty boy wanna bees running around my neck of the woods.
A store bought duck band 550 cord necklace and a duck commander tee shirt does not make one a duck hunter.
Just a passing fad for most of them I think. Couple of cold icy mornings should thin the herd .


Flint,

Your neck of the woods??? Just because someone lives outside of your woods, they automatically become a duck dynasty wanna-be??? My first VHS was "The Art of Commanding Ducks", by Phil Robertson, pre Duck Dynasty days. This was 14-15 years ago. I, personally, think the show is funny as hell in a weird, stupid kind of way. I don't want to duck hunt any more or less because of the show. They don't even hunt on it. If this is a fad, good it will pass. Less people in the water in the long run. Once the work begins, they cap their waders, drop a call into ice water, said call freezes up, they may move on. I live in NOVA because I moved here with my parents before I could choose. I rock a ZZ Top ish goatee, think camo should be a primary color, love cold mornings and mud, is that your idea of a pretty boy? Maybe a different way of life up here, but love the hunt just as much as you.
scruggs12
hunter
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:43 am

kahunna wrote:"Or it's so frustrating dealing with it." That's your post, not mine. Mine (once again) is: "Everybody wants the big time, they just don't want to work for it."
Frustration IS part of "working for it." You think it's not hard holding onto spots with "the masses" coming on the intrawebs and asking "Where can I hunt? I've got decoys and a boat, I just need a spot to go to. I can share expenses. I've got a gun and a dog. What public hunting spot in Virginia is good?" Knowing the answers to those questions is part of "working for it." You work every bit as hard keeping places to hunt waterfowl in Virginia as you do trying to get places to hunt waterfowl in Virginia (whether you are a newbie, or not). That's part of "working for it."There ain't no shortcuts in starting out to waterfowl...never have been in the past either. That's always been part of working for it. "Haves" and "have nots" is a convenient excuse for not working for it...there are still plenty of spots available to hunt waterfowl, blind laws or not.
You may want to refer newbies to the two and a half year old sticky post on this forum posted by cut, that gives a new waterfowler all the start-up info he/she could handle for a year or two. Then, maybe he/she would post up a newbie thread on the intrawebs...my bet is that his/her language and questions would be different than those above.
And finally, the sarcastic humor (that we haven't been ask yet to check at the door before participating in this forum) is a reflection of the frustration with the above, not an individual...most here recognize that.


Kahunna,

I know what your post was. Holding a spot is tough. Get there first or have a blind east of 95. There are no shortcuts, just some useful tools to get started. Don't disagree there are some useful points/posts on here. How would a newcomer know to look back 2 1/2 years?? Believe me, I get sarcasm. You must have thick skin to do pretty much anything on here. Again, a brand new person to this site is to know this? There first post or question gets slammed, how are they to know that it is "all in good fun"?
scruggs12
hunter
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby lbhansford » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:04 am

How would a newcomer know to look back 2 1/2 years??....


well i would start by looking at the 5th post from the top of the list with a title that says "to those just getting started"...

since its sticky'd it will stay at the top :lol:
User avatar
lbhansford
hunter
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:19 am
Location: yorktown VA

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:07 am

Ibhansford,

Duly noted.
scruggs12
hunter
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:12 am

The whole thing about giving away spots. Has anyone actually given GPS coordinates, publicly, to their honey hole????? If you have done so, shame on you, not them. You deserved what you got.
scruggs12
hunter
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby kahunna » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Has anyone ever taken a newbie (new to Virginia, new to the sport, etc.) and had that person take a spot away from you, either from upping the lease amount, poaching your lease, or beating you to a public water spot? I have. I know others who have lost spots that way. Unfortunately there's not much a newbie is going to get by coming on a public forum asking to go hunting, or where to go hunting.
kahunna
hunter
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:58 pm

kahunna wrote:Has anyone ever taken a newbie (new to Virginia, new to the sport, etc.) and had that person take a spot away from you, either from upping the lease amount, poaching your lease, or beating you to a public water spot? I have. I know others who have lost spots that way. Unfortunately there's not much a newbie is going to get by coming on a public forum asking to go hunting, or where to go hunting.


Kahunna,

That is a d'bag move. That is straight up unethical, crappy, disrespectful, all adjectives that describe that. Not all are like that, though. It resorts back to the few ruining it for the many. Ethics are ethics, on both sides. Again, my issue is not with keeping secret spots secret. It is about flat out blasting them, sight unseen, for asking basic questions. This post was started, maybe as a joke (as unfunny as it may be) bashing new comers to the sport. If you were new, would you have much faith in your fellow "sportsmen"?
scruggs12
hunter
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ruddy757, TaylorMann1 and 13 guests