Youth Duck Hunting

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Youth Duck Hunting

Postby duckchooter05 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 pm

My son is 13 and he wants to duck hunt with us some this year. I am having trouble understanding what permits are required for him. Can anyone provide some insight on this? Thanks.
duckchooter05
hunter

Re: Youth Duck Hunting

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:19 pm

Should only be a license and HIP.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby savducksunlimited » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:57 am

KillerKowalski wrote:Should only be a license and HIP.

This is correct!
savducksunlimited
hunter

Postby sureshot 612 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:28 am

call springfield or a DNR office and make sure he doesnt need to take a hunters safety course,it my be required .he may need it to get his lic. he should take it anyway and you should take it with him and show your support
the no duck dynasty zone
sureshot 612
hunter

Location: where ever i want, back to loner time I'm at the next level.riders for a fee

Postby rookiey1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:26 pm

13 yrs old is gonna need hunter safety course, they fill up fast, if you can still get in. Anyone born after 1980 has to have it. However, and don't take my word on it without checking with DNR, but they have a one time apprentice license that I THINK the kid can get just to try hunting to make sure they like it before going through the class. I purchased one last year for my kid. Good luck.
rookiey1
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:41 pm

rookiey1 wrote:However, and don't take my word on it without checking with DNR, but they have a one time apprentice license that I THINK the kid can get just to try hunting to make sure they like it before going through the class. I purchased one last year for my kid. Good luck.

I was going to say the same, but wasn't sure if it was still going on. A friend did purchase one for his son last year. It's a one time deal, then hunter safety course has to be taken.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby 1quacker » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:21 pm

You can get him an apprentice liscense and you can even get it online according to the Illinois DNR website book of hunting regulations. You will need to register him a HIP but can save money for another couples of years before you have to buy the state and federal waterfowl stamps. Since its so close to season and if your not going to get him into a class don't sweat it, just do it after the season is over in the spring. I used the apprentice with my son because sports jammed up the year except after hunting and before fishing.
1quacker
hunter

Postby duckchooter05 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Thanks, I've left two messages at the office listed on the web site but no call back - So, I appreciate all the help. My son took the hunter safety class last fall and I sat through it with him. Thanks again!
duckchooter05
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:14 pm

Best of luck getting through to a facility that houses them. Usually it's "we'll take your number and place you on a waiting list" game. Then, the night before or the day of the scheduled class they are calling to fill a spot. The online training class seems promising. Good idea. But, it fails when there are not enough testing facilities or dates to take the field test. At least that was the way last year.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:44 am

Has anyone's kid(s) taken the course lately? How old are they? I used the apprentice license for my son last year and am not prepared to tell him that he cant hunt this year. There's some classes being offered but I haven't tried to get into them yet. I guess I forgot that it's a 1 time only thing for the apprentice license...

I guess, how hard is the content to read/understand what's going on? He's going to be 8 in November.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby sureshot 612 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:43 am

i think anybody who has firearms in there house should take the course. and back in 1979 my father took me and my brother and it was at a VFW ,since then i took my son in 1995 and i went again when my nephew moved up here .i feel like after all that i should be an instructor :lol3: good luck to all and have a safe year .
the no duck dynasty zone
sureshot 612
hunter

Location: where ever i want, back to loner time I'm at the next level.riders for a fee

Postby 1quacker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:25 am

duckchooter05 wrote:Thanks, I've left two messages at the office listed on the web site but no call back - So, I appreciate all the help. My son took the hunter safety class last fall and I sat through it with him. Thanks again!

I guess Im a little confused here. You already took him thru the Hunters Safety Course so we don't need to talk about an apprentice license. Check the Illinois DNR website under the hunting section and it will spell it out for you what you need for your son and anyone else who wants to hunt in Illinois. Page 8.

supr87gt wrote:Has anyone's kid(s) taken the course lately? How old are they? I used the apprentice license for my son last year and am not prepared to tell him that he cant hunt this year. There's some classes being offered but I haven't tried to get into them yet. I guess I forgot that it's a 1 time only thing for the apprentice license...

I guess, how hard is the content to read/understand what's going on? He's going to be 8 in November.

I took my son when he was 9 and he missed like 1 question. They would not allow the parents in the room when the kids took the
test but they did a good job going over the information that was going to be asked.
1quacker
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:32 am

1quacker wrote:

I took my son when he was 9 and he missed like 1 question. They would not allow the parents in the room when the kids took the
test but they did a good job going over the information that was going to be asked.

Thats what I was looking for right there. Thanks.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:25 am

I found 2 openings at the end of September! They talked like they had quite a few open so if anyone is in need...
supr87gt
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:34 am

supr87gt wrote:I found 2 openings at the end of September! They talked like they had quite a few open so if anyone is in need...

You should post the location and dates for people that need to get in. Obviously after you have reserved a spot. I had a fellow hunter unable to get in last year and couldn't imagine knowing you weren't going to pull the trigger on a committed bird.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:52 am

KillerKowalski wrote:
supr87gt wrote:I found 2 openings at the end of September! They talked like they had quite a few open so if anyone is in need...

You should post the location and dates for people that need to get in. Obviously after you have reserved a spot. I had a fellow hunter unable to get in last year and couldn't imagine knowing you weren't going to pull the trigger on a committed bird.

I will after I confirm my spots. I will also try and get details on the amount of openings when I do so.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:20 am

x-line gun club for the safety class. Kankakee community college has a waiting list. The guys at x-line said they try for 50 people but if a few more need in, they try to accomodate.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:46 am

supr87gt wrote:x-line gun club for the safety class. Kankakee community college has a waiting list. The guys at x-line said they try for 50 people but if a few more need in, they try to accomodate.

:thumbsup:
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:42 pm

There's also one at the South Wilmington Sportsman's club at the end of the month. I dont know about availability there though.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:20 pm

Choose the area where you live and it will popup a list of the counties in your region. Start with your own county and you should get a list of upcoming classes and contact info.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/safety/Page ... ounty.aspx
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:14 am

A few spots opened up at KCC...
supr87gt
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting