Duck Hunting Forum banner

Raritan bay

942 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  crewchief252 
#1 ·
Hit the bay this morning, even with the dead calm weather, was still a fair amoount of birds in the air, saw broadies, buffs, blackies, mergs, and brant, ended up with 3 brant and 1 buff, going again on sat.

#2 ·
I do believe that's a hat-trick on the Brant! Nice job. We took four the other day (2 + 2) for me and partner.

I hope that third Brant was your girlfriend's!

FINAL NEW JERSEY 2006-07 MIGRATORY BIRD SEASON DATES...

BRANT
Daily bag limit: 2
(http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2006 ... ummary.pdf)

I can't say I like those buffies too much but, I'll certainly eat what I harvest. Good Woodie practice though.

#4 ·
Didn't mean to get you upset. That's why I said your girlfriend. Just trying to be funny. Sorry I offended.

Pass on a "Nice Shot!" to the lad.

My buddy and I passed-up shots on Brant yesterday. They landed in a flooded marsh about 60-70 yards in front of us. We had to go, so we got up and went to collect our decoys. The Brant (about 25 or so) got up and flew right over us. Those birds have to be the most brainless creatures in the avian bunch. So, we just let them go. It was a nice sight to see though.

#5 ·
No big deal, but i agree, they are the dee dee dee of waterfowl, that same day, we dropped the boat blind, unloaded and cased the guns, started heading in to the brant decoys and about 15 yrds out i realized there were 2 more decoys than i had put out, and even as we motored in to the deeks, they still didn't leave

#6 ·
Glad I didn't cause a problem...

You know, it makes me wonder...with Brant being so dumb like that why wouldn't there be a lower limit like we have for others; Pintail & Canvasback for example. Or even Morning Dove? Why don't we have a season on Dove - even if it were for a week it would be nice to hunt them.

#7 ·
I often wonder about that my self, although it is a shorter season. My son has this thing about doves, he really wants to hunt them, my sister in law has property over in Pa, so we may get nonresidents and give it a try, Hit the bay this morning, he got 2 buffs, and i got 1 buff and 2 brant, one was banded, but that was the only flock we saw, last week we saw a lot more, don't know where they went, Oh well, back to the north zone this week, and geese
Oh and speaking of how dumb the brant are, when the flock came thru, i got my 1, and the kid fired twice, missed, one lone brant swung back around and he shot 2 more times, it swung once more, he missed twice more, i finally dropped it, talk aboout commiting suicide

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.