Tis the season

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Tis the season

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:05 pm

Looking for the best/worst opening day story of idiocy amongst hunters, farmers, PETAS, etc.

Thrill me with your experiences of why I love to hate opening days my DHC friends!!!!
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Re: Tis the season

Postby Skeet123 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:23 pm

Sitting in the blind opening morning. Saw a few birds that morning we hear people talking upriver. We look and see two kayakers making their way across the river. We stayed quite and they start talking about the geese on the water. They get closer and closer and closer. They are now about 10 yards from the decoys and say look at all these geese I can't believe how tame they are. They even touched the decoys. Then they start looking around. Never did see us or hear us. :no:
Skeet123
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Skeet123 wrote:Sitting in the blind opening morning. Saw a few birds that morning we hear people talking upriver. We look and see two kayakers making their way across the river. We stayed quite and they start talking about the geese on the water. They get closer and closer and closer. They are now about 10 yards from the decoys and say look at all these geese I can't believe how tame they are. They even touched the decoys. Then they start looking around. Never did see us or hear us. :no:

Had a lady "talking" to our decoys once. That was funny.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:01 pm

Spent my first day duck hunting in the Great State of Maryland standing around the ponds at Mckee, this would be the proper attire for that area.
Attachments
military_body_armor_4.jpg
military_body_armor_4.jpg (15.11 KiB) Viewed 967 times
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby agkoh » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:12 am

Cajun1085 wrote:Spent my first day duck hunting in the Great State of Maryland standing around the ponds at Mckee, this would be the proper attire for that area.

Hahaha. too Funny.
agkoh
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:43 am

Cajun1085 wrote:Spent my first day duck hunting in the Great State of Maryland standing around the ponds at Mckee, this would be the proper attire for that area.

Better be body armor on the back too.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:31 am

Ya know, Ive hunted mckees a good bit but have always steered clear on opening day because of the stories ive been told. Im the kind of guy that goes to the nasty strip club or to the 2 girls 1 cup website just to see what the hype is all about. One of these days I will go venture in to mckees on opening day with some body armor
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:31 pm

PSUbuzz wrote:Ya know, Ive hunted mckees a good bit but have always steered clear on opening day because of the stories ive been told. Im the kind of guy that goes to the nasty strip club or to the 2 girls 1 cup website just to see what the hype is all about. One of these days I will go venture in to mckees on opening day with some body armor

you will need a full team. i will take point on the way in...... can we get a big black guy like in the movie predator?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:16 am

HAHA... I think I can put a team together...The funny thing with as many people was around that pound I still managed to kill 2 GWT and a woodduck on the opener. If it were a private spot, you could limit out in about 15min.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Well....I traveled 22 miles up the Potomac River today and did not see one goose! Kind of scary. I found some sign, but no goose. Won't keep me out though.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:01 pm

Cajun1085 wrote:Well....I traveled 22 miles up the Potomac River today and did not see one goose! Kind of scary. I found some sign, but no goose. Won't keep me out though.

They are showing up. I am seeing birds where they were not even a week ago.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:03 am

Ive heard from a couple farmers that fields should be starting to come down late this week. Ive barely seen any geese get airborn yet. Most are just sticking around the roost ponds
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:33 am

Only saw a couple birds yesterday out of Pennyfield. What are people's plans for Monday!?
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:34 am

same thing we do every year Pinky... Sleep in, kill birds, and stay as far away from public land as possible on any opener. Theres some spots with birds out there, but Im not putting any eggs in any baskets til Sunday. Fields are getting cut and birds are finally starting to move a bit. But good luck attempting to pattern them, as soon as they realize theres more than 1 food source cut, they become the feathered goldylox trying each field til they find the right amount of food to keep them busy. Im just going to be one of the bears ready to destroyyyyyy :hammer:
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:59 am

i drive across the county i live in and see more and more geese every day. have been watching a dozen or so teal in the same spot for the past week. too bad it is next to a highway.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby agkoh » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:28 am

Ohio, You must Be driving by the same "pond."
agkoh
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:03 am

off the ICC?

my highschool had the first flock of geese land this morning. new grass is just ripe for the picking.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby agkoh » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:14 am

Yeah, ive been seeing them as i drive on the icc!
agkoh
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting