Goose Blind Help

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Goose Blind Help

Postby Geekhunter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Well goose season is fast approaching and I am currently without a blind. In years past I have hunted with a group who had a blind but looks like I'm my own group now. I would like to save some money, and make my own blind. Any tips/plans/info? I've seen people hunt out of as little as a blanket to lay on and a piece of camo burlap over them. A layout style would be my first choice, but I have nothing against something bigger. Any comment is appreciated!
Whack 'em and Stack 'em!
Geekhunter
hunter

Re: Goose Blind Help

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Geekhunter wrote:Well goose season is fast approaching and I am currently without a blind. In years past I have hunted with a group who had a blind but looks like I'm my own group now. I would like to save some money, and make my own blind. Any tips/plans/info? I've seen people hunt out of as little as a blanket to lay on and a piece of camo burlap over them. A layout style would be my first choice, but I have nothing against something bigger. Any comment is appreciated!

Maybe this would be better classified in a different category. An inexpensive layout that has reputable reviews is linked. They usually have a BIN price of $120. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KillZone-Layout ... 20d6d7bf5e
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:21 am

KillerKowalski wrote:
Geekhunter wrote:Well goose season is fast approaching and I am currently without a blind. In years past I have hunted with a group who had a blind but looks like I'm my own group now. I would like to save some money, and make my own blind. Any tips/plans/info? I've seen people hunt out of as little as a blanket to lay on and a piece of camo burlap over them. A layout style would be my first choice, but I have nothing against something bigger. Any comment is appreciated!

Maybe this would be better classified in a different category. An inexpensive layout that has reputable reviews is linked. They usually have a BIN price of $120. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KillZone-Layout ... 20d6d7bf5e

I have this layout, it's a good buy for the price.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 am

If you plan on hunting for years to come get something nicer than that one my buddy had to rig up a wood frame system for his just like this they are talking about imo they're junk. Go look at Tanglefree Originator or Dead Zone I love those and haven't had any problems and I hunt hard all season.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:01 am

Black Smoke wrote:If you plan on hunting for years to come get something nicer than that one my buddy had to rig up a wood frame system for his just like this they are talking about imo they're junk. Go look at Tanglefree Originator or Dead Zone I love those and haven't had any problems and I hunt hard all season.

Not true... I bought one of these back in highschool, 5 years latter and it is still going strong...
Attachments
image.jpg
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:04 am

You must baby that thing :thumbsup: When you hunt 50+ days a year you want something that holds up better.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:08 am

No babying, I hunt some of the hardest locations... that thing has been half submerged, draged, dropped, fallen on, thrown, etc...

Also, I have used 4 other layout blinds (other peoples) this one is exreemly comfortable and roomy.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:09 am

Well thats good then my buddy and the 4 other guys that bought them at the same time must have gotten a bad batch or since they are newer they skimped on them.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby Geekhunter » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:21 am

Well if you look closely I said "make" not "buy" a blind, so the do it yourself category seems fitting to me. I was just wondering if anyone made they're own blinds and had any tips.
Whack 'em and Stack 'em!
Geekhunter
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:29 am

can you weld
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:57 am

Geekhunter wrote:Well if you look closely I said "make" not "buy" a blind, so the do it yourself category seems fitting to me. I was just wondering if anyone made they're own blinds and had any tips.

Ah, coppin' an attitude and only four posts in. Nice.

Geekhunter wrote:I would like to save some money...

I only gave you a reference to a product because with proper frame and proper fabric (Cordura) I can't imagine you would be able to make an actual layout blind for less than $100. I am speaking of something actually comparable to a manufactured and functioning one (waterproof, hinged doors, dog box, gun rest, padded seat). I apologize for offending by trying recommend a product and helping.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Geekhunter » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:32 am

Geez if you don't have anything nice to say why say it. Thank you to all who have helped. No attitude here, just saying why not try to help a guy instead of telling him how he put it in the wrong category. I real don't need or want a blind with all the features, I need something that will keep me hidden from the birds until I can afford something better. Unfortunately no I cannot weld. I only have a week till goose season and I was just wondering if anyone had any quick and inexpensive solutions.
Whack 'em and Stack 'em!
Geekhunter
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:39 am

Geekhunter wrote:Geez if you don't have anything nice to say why say it.

I'm confused. What wasn't nice?!?! Obviously you took something personal. I take my words back about miscatergorizing. I was working sixteen hours in the wee hours of the morning. Hope you get something built. The old days (15-20 years ago) dug a grave about six inches deep and used burlap blanket with brush tied with twine on the top. Neck pains at the end of the day, but if money is the downfall use different resources.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Geekhunter » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Sorry, I miss read your posts as well, I apologize! No hard feelings I hope. :oops:
Whack 'em and Stack 'em!
Geekhunter
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:40 am

I bought a Broadstone stadium chair with armrest and pouch at the back ($25) then I bought a roll of Ameristep camo burlap cut it in half and tied rafia onto it ($25) rafia ($8) The camo burlap folds up and tucks into the back of the chair.Neat compact slick and fast to set up works well.

on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Geekhunter » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:01 pm

Nice, I like it! Any one know the best way to attache grass, corn, or stubble to burlap?
Whack 'em and Stack 'em!
Geekhunter
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Cut slits 1/2" apart and tie grass onto them
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Scattergunns » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:24 am

that's a pretty nice setup there rem, I may try to put something together like that when I get a chance.
Scattergunns
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:21 pm

-Take an 8 ft. 2"x2", cut to 4 ft or whatever you feel comfortable with
-45* the 1 end on each
-staple your mesh,grass,burlap,whatever to them so it spans
-Dig them into the ground at an angle backward at the required spacing to give yourself good cover and the camo spread out
-Tuck in underneath it
-Shoot away
-To carry them in, wrap with rope or bungee cord and tie another piece around as a sling

We did this with grass mats and it worked awesome. You could also ram them into the marsh bottom in four bout for the same effect.

Good luck!!
scruggs12
hunter

Postby Geekhunter » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Hey thanks a ton guys. I think I'm gonna do something like what scruggs said. I'm gonna mud up some burlap, grass it and just lie underneath it with some decoys around me and sit very very still. Hoping the fact that it's early season will help.
Whack 'em and Stack 'em!
Geekhunter
hunter

Postby PassinthruOutdoors » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:17 pm

I just watch a video on making a little cheap layout. I think the guy used military camo netting, added some raffia and tied in some tubing on each end - length wise. Rolled it up and take it with you. You just need a mat to lay on or a small beach chair or something like that. If you do find yourself with a little extra cash, rogers sporting goods as a decent low profile blind for under $100.

I'll see if I can find the video.
PassinthruOutdoors
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:10 pm

I use a frame less beaver tail blind super low profile...
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting