Waterfowl and Upland ...... Shotgun help

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Waterfowl and Upland ...... Shotgun help

Postby Brody123 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Hello y'all.

I havent ben huntin' in a long while - 20 years. I used to love my o/u Ruger.

I have a budget of $1500. Im not sure if I should bother with an o/u or go with semi-auto. I know I dont want a pump. 12 gage or 20 gage?

So, what are your opinions ? Ducks and geese maybe 10 hunts. Pheasant , dove, quail maybe 20 hunts. Then fun at the range

the rest of the time.

:help:
Brody123
hunter

Re: Waterfowl and Upland ...... Shotgun help

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:44 am

There are ALOT of nice guns to be had for $1500(or less) in both semi - auto and o\u both new and used. Go out and shoulder a few and find one that fits. The 12 gauge (IMO) would be the way to go. You can kill plenty of waterfowl and upland birds with the 20, but the 12 offers more options. As for semi - auto or o\u , the semi - auto (IMO) offers more options. Browning, Winchester, Beretta or Benelli would be a few makes to look into.
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:34 am

Knowing what I now know....if I had $1500 to spend on a shotgun.....I'd do the same thing I did 3 years ago- SX3 ! spend what's left over on gear. :thumbsup:
23yearsago
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:25 am

you should get a 12 gauge semi auto. There are plenty of models in your price range so see which one you like best. Dont worry about if its camo or not
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:41 am

If you still have the Ruger use it. If not buy another one. You can't argue with success.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Brody123 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:06 am

ohio mike wrote:If you still have the Ruger use it. If not buy another one. You can't argue with success.

I wish did Mike. Long story....

I've been out and shouldered a few. The SX3 , Maxus, SBEII, Versa Max, Uplander,Franchi Affinity,

Also a Browning Citori white lightning slightly used - felt vg ! :huh:
Brody123
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:18 am

You can get a super good gas auto or a okay O/U for $1500. Find one that really fits you in a 3" 12 gauge gas auto with a 28" barrel. You also want the gun to weigh between 7 and 7.5 pounds. With that gun you can do it all, most of it very well.

They quit making the Red Label for good reason.
z51
hunter

Postby Brody123 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:35 am

z51 wrote:You can get a super good gas auto or a okay O/U for $1500. Find one that really fits you in a 3" 12 gauge gas auto with a 28" barrel. You also want the gun to weigh between 7 and 7.5 pounds. With that gun you can do it all, most of it very well.

Thanks z51!

I was thinking the same. A 3'' is plenty , I have no need for a 3 1/2'' .

I was even considering getting a 20 gauge semi-auto gas . That might be the ticket.

:wink:
Brody123
hunter

Postby bloodnguts » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:57 am

Last year, I decided to buy my first quality, dual purpose shotgun, with a pretty even split between waterfowl hunting, and chasing pheasants and ruffed grouse. I automatically ruled out a 3.5" as completely unnecessary for my purposes. I wanted the three shots, so I ruled out o/u's, and I had been shooting a Remington Wingmaster, and just wanted to shoot an automatic to be a hair quicker in the grouse woods. I also decided I didn't want a gas gun, which I've had before, and found to be a pain to clean. I shouldered a number of guns, but the one that was the perfect all around fit for me, pointed the best, and was a pleasure to carry, was the Benelli Montefeltro. That gun is a sweet shooter. So much so that I cashed in some overtime at work just to buy it's matching little brother in a 20 gauge. Now the 20 gauge, holy cow is that a sweet gun! It only weighs about 5.5 pounds, and with upland loads, points and shoots like a dream. I am just very high on these Benelli Montefeltros, so I give them my highest recommendation. Oh, both of my Montes have 26 inch barrels.
bloodnguts
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:18 am

bloodnguts wrote:Last year, I decided to buy my first quality, dual purpose shotgun, with a pretty even split between waterfowl hunting, and chasing pheasants and ruffed grouse. I automatically ruled out a 3.5" as completely unnecessary for my purposes. I wanted the three shots, so I ruled out o/u's, and I had been shooting a Remington Wingmaster, and just wanted to shoot an automatic to be a hair quicker in the grouse woods. I also decided I didn't want a gas gun, which I've had before, and found to be a pain to clean. I shouldered a number of guns, but the one that was the perfect all around fit for me, pointed the best, and was a pleasure to carry, was the Benelli Montefeltro. That gun is a sweet shooter. So much so that I cashed in some overtime at work just to buy it's matching little brother in a 20 gauge. Now the 20 gauge, holy cow is that a sweet gun! It only weighs about 5.5 pounds, and with upland loads, points and shoots like a dream. I am just very high on these Benelli Montefeltros, so I give them my highest recommendation. Oh, both of my Montes have 26 inch barrels.

My buddy has a 20g Monte - and you're opinion is spot on. If and when I get a 20g - that's what it's gonna be. He has had his since he was about 15 and has been about 20 South Dakota hunting trips and everywhere in between. I bet that gun has close to 50k rounds through it and still runs like a champ (although not quite as fine of finish as it did when it was new!)
quacknstack6 wrote:
I'm as good once as I ever was isn't your theme song OG. I hate to burst your bubble.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Brody123 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:14 pm

bloodnguts wrote:Last year, I decided to buy my first quality, dual purpose shotgun, with a pretty even split between waterfowl hunting, and chasing pheasants and ruffed grouse. I automatically ruled out a 3.5" as completely unnecessary for my purposes. I wanted the three shots, so I ruled out o/u's, and I had been shooting a Remington Wingmaster, and just wanted to shoot an automatic to be a hair quicker in the grouse woods. I also decided I didn't want a gas gun, which I've had before, and found to be a pain to clean. I shouldered a number of guns, but the one that was the perfect all around fit for me, pointed the best, and was a pleasure to carry, was the Benelli Montefeltro. That gun is a sweet shooter. So much so that I cashed in some overtime at work just to buy it's matching little brother in a 20 gauge. Now the 20 gauge, holy cow is that a sweet gun! It only weighs about 5.5 pounds, and with upland loads, points and shoots like a dream. I am just very high on these Benelli Montefeltros, so I give them my highest recommendation. Oh, both of my Montes have 26 inch barrels.

I just added it to the list ! I was looking at one as you wrote this.... = unreal

The decision has become even harder ! :no:
Brody123
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:25 pm

In your price range I would go with an SX 2 or a VersaMax. I personnaly shoot an Estate alot which is a copy of the 1100 but they got rid of all the parts that wear out and it's $300 at the Academy. Just make sure the gun fits.
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Brody123 wrote:
z51 wrote:You can get a super good gas auto or a okay O/U for $1500. Find one that really fits you in a 3" 12 gauge gas auto with a 28" barrel. You also want the gun to weigh between 7 and 7.5 pounds. With that gun you can do it all, most of it very well.

Thanks z51!

I was even considering getting a 20 gauge semi-auto gas . That might be the ticket.

A 20 is not a good goose gun and not as good a duck gun with steel. Although there are people who claim a .410 is a duck gun and that they hunt bears with a switch. If you are only going to own one gun, do yourself a favor and make it a 12 gauge.
z51
hunter

Postby WalpoleTed » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:50 pm

If O/U, a gently used Beretta Silver Pigeon 12 (or whatever 686 floats your boat). If semi, watch the sales or go a bit over budget for a Super Vinci or Vinci with 26" barrels. The handling dynamics and lower carry weight of the Vincis would do it for me.
WalpoleTed
hunter

Postby B-Boy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:13 pm

While I am a Ruger lover, there's a reason they don't make the Red Label any more. OUs are nice, but if ducks and geese are in the equation, I'd look at a semi-auto. At times, it's nice to have that 3rd shot. This one is tough for me to answer because I like a nice blued/walnut gun for upland and prefer a synthetic gun for waterfowl. Since it sounds like informal clay games are also part of your mix, perhaps a used Benelli Cordoba or new Browning Maxus would be good for you. A new Benelli Montefeltro would also definitely be worth a look. These are all fairly light guns that won't be a problem to carry all day when upland hunting. They are also soft shooters and can easily handle waterfowl loads. They are all 3" guns. I don't recommend 3.5" guns. They cost more and don't have a whole lot of advantage unless you hunt a lot of geese.

Regardless of whatever gun you choose, make sure it fits you well.
Benelli - Cordoba (20 ga. & 12 ga.)
Browning - 725 Sporting (12 ga.), Maxus (Hunter & MAX-4 Stalker)
Franchi - Renaissance (20 ga.)
B-Boy
hunter

Postby cootlover » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:56 pm

A 20 gauge is as good as any gun for duck unless A 'your not a very good shot are B' never hunted with one so they cant give good advise. I have been shooting one going on my 7th season and keep up with all my bud's hunting with 12 gauges.
cootlover
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:08 pm

Could someone tell me the very good reason they quit making the Red Label. I might add their resuming production.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Tgunz_64 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:12 pm

Is get a 12ga Stoeger M3000 and a 20ga Mossberg SA20. Which will leave you with $300-$400 left over for ammo and gear. That's one route i'd consider. Or get a nice 20ga. I used an old Winchester 120 youth pump that killed ducks, geese, and upland birds no problem. That's my 2 cents! Hope it helps!
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:31 pm

ohio mike wrote:Could someone tell me the very good reason they quit making the Red Label. I might add their resuming production.

Don't know why but I will be in line to pick up another one to go with the three I have already especially if they offer the all weather again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:02 am

cootlover wrote:A 20 gauge is as good as any gun for duck unless A 'your not a very good shot are B' never hunted with one so they cant give good advise. I have been shooting one going on my 7th season and keep up with all my bud's hunting with 12 gauges.

If you think a 20 is as good a duck gun as a 12 with steel shot you don't understand the exterior ballistics of steel shot. The 20 is adequate and I just bought a new 20 SA to use on decoying ducks, but I know it's limitations on geese and longer range full size ducks. I also have at least six 12 gauge guns that I can use the OP as I understand it will have one shotgun.
z51
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:48 am

Sorry you feel that way. I don't carry a computer in the duck boat to tell the ballistics before I shoot a duck but I do no I can kill ducks at 40 -50 yards with my 20 gauge all day that's why I don't need a 12 gauge any farther is un ethical :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:13 am

z51 wrote:
Brody123 wrote:

Thanks z51!

A 20 is not a good goose gun and not as good a duck gun with steel. Although there are people who claim a .410 is a duck gun and that they hunt bears with a switch. If you are only going to own one gun, do yourself a favor and make it a 12 gauge.

A 20ga does a great job on ducks and so far not bad on geese either. My X3 20 has no problems shooting or patterning steel shot, that's why guns now days have more than one choke tube. Image

Looks like my X3 and cootlover's M2 20 gauges didn't have a hard time killing ducks and geese.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:26 am

More proof of what a 20 with steel can do. The swan was 40yds passing, one shot and was stone dead before it hit the water.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Can you guys actually read. I didn't say a 20 wouldn't do it, I said it's not as good as a 12. Which is absolutely true. You can unwad your panties any time now.

:lol3:
z51
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:18 pm

With all of the lightweight 12's there are nowadays I don't think I'd want to limit myself to just owning a 20. For a dual purpose upland/waterfowling piece I believe you could take a 26" Silver, Maxus, SX3, SBE2, M1, etc, etc, etc and be completely satisfied.
clampdaddy
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum