Waterfowl and Upland ...... Shotgun help

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Waterfowl and Upland ...... Shotgun help

Postby alex is a DUCK hunter » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:35 pm

Im a fan of berettas and benellis. Ive shot m1's and 391s for years. Ive had a browning silver too. Im really partial to the m1 bur theyre getting hard to find. I just recently bought an A300 outlander and have fell in love. I paid $711 after taxes for it and it shoots great. Id recommend it to anyone. Great gun!
alex is a DUCK hunter
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:43 pm

Sorry 51 real duck hunters go commando . If a person needs a 12 gauge go ahead a shoot one .
cootlover
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:00 pm

clampdaddy wrote:With all of the lightweight 12's there are nowadays I don't think I'd want to limit myself to just owning a 20. For a dual purpose upland/waterfowling piece I believe you could take a 26" Silver, Maxus, SX3, SBE2, M1, etc, etc, etc and be completely satisfied.

Exactly my 12 gauge 3" Weatherby auto weighs 6.5 pounds and will kill mallards cleanly at 50 yards with $9 a box steel or much more with really heavy loads.
z51
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:12 pm

z51 wrote:Can you guys actually read. I didn't say a 20 wouldn't do it, I said it's not as good as a 12. Which is absolutely true. You can unwad your panties any time now.

:lol3:

Well lets hear why they're not as good then. So in your way of thinking a 10ga should be better than a 12ga right?
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:25 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:
z51 wrote:Can you guys actually read. I didn't say a 20 wouldn't do it, I said it's not as good as a 12. Which is absolutely true. You can unwad your panties any time now.

Well lets hear why they're not as good then. So in your way of thinking a 10ga should be better than a 12ga right?

The 10 is far superior to the 12 for ducks, swans, geese and humming birds to :thumbsup: Bet a lot of dummies will say otherwise though :wink:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:29 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

The 10 is far superior to the 12 for ducks, swans, geese and humming birds to :thumbsup: Bet a lot of dummies will say otherwise though :wink:

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:37 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:

If you think the 20 is such a great waterfowl gun why do you shoot that 3 1/2" 12 gauge SX2? The 10 gauge is not worth the effort to find ammo and extra weight anymore to me. I sold my BPS this spring to a turkey hunter. It was a true 70 yard goose gun though.
z51
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:30 pm

z51 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

If you think the 20 is such a great waterfowl gun why do you shoot that 3 1/2" 12 gauge SX2? The 10 gauge is not worth the effort to find ammo and extra weight anymore to me. I sold my BPS this spring to a turkey hunter. It was a true 70 yard goose gun though.

Isn't it funny, the progression of waterfowl hunter? I have over 30 shotguns including 4 10 bores and dozen 12 bores, but my primary gauge of choice for the last 6 or 7 years has been the 20.

I guess even though the 10 is more effective then the 12 and the 12 more then the 20 at killing fowl, I must have changed, instead of effective killing I have chosen to kill effectively.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:41 pm

z51 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

Funny how my X2 stayed in the safe all last year. If you look at the pics I posted you'd see that is an X3 20ga and not an X2. :no: :no: :no:

FYI, not all X2s are 3.5" guns. Don't you know what happens when you assume? My sig doesn't say what it is. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Last edited by duckslayer74 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Brody123 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:46 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:
z51 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

Funny how my X2 stayed in the safe all last year. If you look at the pics I posted you'd see that is an X3 20ga and not an X2. :no: :no: :no:

Fellas , fellas, please . This bickering is of no help to my initial question. Let's try to get back on track..

Thanks
Brody123
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Brody123 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:
z51 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

Fellas , fellas, please . This bickering is of no help to my initial question. Let's try to get back on track..

Thanks

Your question was answered in the first few posts.

Brands and action styles are subjective depending on the poster. All that matters is if the gun fits you and you like it. I own 12 different brands and wouldn't sell any of the guns I own because they all do what I want them to, which is kill birds and clays and I enjoy shooting them all!

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Brody123 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:26 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
Brody123 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:
z51 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

Thanks

Brands and action styles are subjective depending on the poster. All that matters is if the gun fits you and you like it. I own 12 different brands and wouldn't sell any of the guns I own because they all do what I want them to, which is kill birds and clays and I enjoy shooting them all!

Im sure there is somemore positive input than the first couple of posts.

honkers.
Brody123
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Brody123 wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:
Brody123 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:
z51 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

Thanks

honkers.

You have fit/feel, 3 shots vs 2 chokes and 1000 threads comparing guns on this forum. In the end you are the one who has to pull the trigger! (Pun intended) how much more do you really need? We can't buy the gun for you lol.

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Brody123 wrote:. Fellas , fellas, please . This bickering is of no help to my initial question. Let's try to get back on track..

Thanks

I see you're new here......it's what we do. :lol3:

I look at it like this. If you were going to buy a single rifle for all of your American medium/big game hunting you probably wouldn't pick a .243. Will it work? Heck yeah. You probably wouldn't want a .458 either. Would it work? Absolutely. Your best bet is to get a 30-06 or something similar and call it good.

That's the beauty of the 12 ga.. It can be loaded down like a 20 or pumped up to where it nips at the heels of a 10.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:10 am

If you think the 20 is such a great waterfowl gun why do you shoot that 3 1/2" 12 gauge SX2? The 10 gauge is not worth the effort to find ammo and extra weight anymore to me. I sold my BPS this spring to a turkey hunter. It was a true 70 yard goose gun though.[/quote]

FYI, not all X2s are 3.5" guns. Don't you know what happens when you assume? My sig doesn't say what it is. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:[/quote]

Doesn't matter, although most likely is a 3 1/2", it's still a 12 gauge. I notice you didn't say it's not. You are arguing an obvious lost cause.
z51
hunter

Postby jpari » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:52 am

duckslayer74 wrote:

The answer to this question can be found in the read that I post below, it is very interesting and answers your question specifically in one of the 6 myths or fallacies that the article deals with. All of the questions were tested specifically at the Federal facility.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/...hogun-ammo

Then click on the article "The Truth About Shotgun Ammo: 6 Questions Answered at Federal's High-Tech Range"

Then read specifically question #3. Is a 20-gauge as Effective as a 12-Gauge for Doves? Though the question relates specifically to the question of doves and uses lead shot as the test shot type it can clearly be extrapolated to ducks as well. I think that the use of steel shot would only compound the penetration problem since a pellet is lighter than lead. Read and see what you think.
jpari
hunter

Postby Brody123 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:40 am

hamernhonkers wrote:
Brody123 wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:
Brody123 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:
z51 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

Thanks

honkers.

You have fit/feel, 3 shots vs 2 chokes and 1000 threads comparing guns on this forum. In the end you are the one who has to pull the trigger! (Pun intended) how much more do you really need? We can't buy the gun for you lol.

thanks honkers. maybe I just like to see you type on that fancy Blackberry 9360 you have !

What gun would you use honkers ? please do elaborate.
Brody123
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:08 am

z51 wrote:Can you guys actually read. I didn't say a 20 wouldn't do it, I said it's not as good as a 12. Which is absolutely true. You can unwad your panties any time now.:lol3:

And a 12 is not as good as a 10 and 10 not as good as an 8 and so on and so forth..........

I heard 2 rumors about Ruger
1) that they were re-designing the red label
2) they were developing a semi auto shotgun

I have a Red Label but have always thought they were a bit of a "brick". I wouldn't mind if the lightened and streamlined them a bit more.

I'm another one of those guys that feels perfectly adequate with a 20.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:34 am

Brody123 wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:
Brody123 wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:
Brody123 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:
z51 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:[quote="z51"]Can you guys actually read. I didn't say a 20 wouldn't do it, I said it's not as good as a 12. Which is absolutely true. You can unwad your panties any time now.

Thanks

honkers.

thanks honkers. maybe I just like to see you type on that fancy Blackberry 9360 you have !

What gun would you use honkers ? please do elaborate.[/quote]

See that's the nice part, less money on the phone = more guns in my safes.

Simple I would use the gun that fits me best! Why because no matter the gauge or the brand I know it needs to be comfortable in fit and feel to be able to constantly hit a target. You can get the most expensive gun/choke/load out there but if it don't fit and you can't hit with it, it won't do you a bit of good!

Now go back to your post on the guns you have listed (which are all great guns) and find the one that fits you best and buy it! Then go practice shooting it and then kill some birds and have fun! Pretty simple ain't it lol.

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:42 pm

I changed my mind, I am going to help you spend your cash.

First, semi- sx3, versamax sportsmen, browning silver or weatherby sa 08. I would suggest the sx3 for the shims and synthetic for price. This will be your dedicated waterfowl gun.

Second, o/u for upland and clays. 20 ga cz readhead nib or used citori or beretta.

You'll need a couple hundred added to your budget but that shouldn't be hard to do.

Your welcome :)

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:04 pm

Brody,

Your quest for a do all gun for waterfowl and upland is difficult, but not impossible. Upland gunning involves a lot of walking and not so much shooting. The ranges are usually closer, so the loads are somewhat lighter. In other words, recoil isn't much of a consideration. With waterfowling, you have almost the complete reverse. A lot of sitting around and when the shooting starts, it's likely to be with heavy loads and multiple rounds. Here, recoil is something of an issue, or at least a concern.

Traditionally, waterfowl guns are on the heavy side, useful in attenuating the recoil produced by typical duck and goose loads. Since walking and carrying the piece isn't an issue, the weight tends to come in handy. Particularly if you consider that the extra weight, when properly positioned, helps smooth your swing.

That said, were I you, I'd look for a fairly light weight gas semi auto. Find one that's balanced well and you'll have the best of both worlds. There've been rave reviews on the Beretta A400, both as a fowler and an upland gun, so that's where I'd start my search.

Remember, gun fit and handling dynamics are as important in a duck gun as they are in an upland gun.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Brody123 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:57 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:I changed my mind, I am going to help you spend your cash.

First, semi- sx3, versamax sportsmen, browning silver or weatherby sa 08. I would suggest the sx3 for the shims and synthetic for price. This will be your dedicated waterfowl gun.

Second, o/u for upland and clays. 20 ga cz readhead nib or used citori or beretta.

You'll need a couple hundred added to your budget but that shouldn't be hard to do.

Thank you honkers !

That's the best advice yet. I love your selection. Im on my way out the door to go shoulder a few- report to follow!!!

:thumbsup:
Brody123
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Brody123 wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:I changed my mind, I am going to help you spend your cash.

Thank you honkers !

That's the best advice yet. I love your selection. Im on my way out the door to go shoulder a few- report to follow!!!

:thumbsup:

Where do I send the bill? :lol3:

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:10 pm

Those of us that use 20ga do so because WE CAN, those who use 12 ga do so because THEY CAN"T.....................LOL
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:51 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Those of us that use 20ga do so because WE CAN, those who use 12 ga do so because THEY CAN"T.....................LOL

why buy more then one type of gauge if you only need one. why buy a gauge that has less ammo available to it. i would shoot whatever is cheapest if i could afford it i would be shooting a 16ga but for the price of one box of 16 gauge shells i could buy three 12 gauge. its not some form of magic to shoot a 20ga its just being a picky shooter.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum