Aftermarket High Vis Sights - Which??

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Aftermarket High Vis Sights - Which??

Postby ErieAngler » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:43 pm

I've been looking at two specifically but let me know experience with others.

Dicks Sporting Goods has the truglo dot universal sight (comes in green or orange)
Cabelas has the champion easy hit shotgun hunting sight (also comes in green or orange)

Both have great reviews. I want to put the on 4 or 5 shotguns for duck, goose, bird hunting. Which is better and what color is better, specially in low light.

Thanks fellas!
ErieAngler
hunter

Re: Aftermarket High Vis Sights - Which??

Postby 23yearsago » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Go ahead an waste your $$ if ya want. IF your gun fits you properly.....learn to look at the bird an you won't even know there is a sight on the shotgun. LOTs of clays,, practice practice practice.
Don't hate me,,, likely someone else woulda said it if I hadn't. :smile:
23yearsago
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:38 pm

My favorite one is the Champion Easy Hit. It fits nice and low, and with no ears that hang over either side of the rib. For some reason the actual fiber optic light pipe doesn't distract me, but the mounting bases that most other sight use do. Go figure. :huh:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:18 pm

you dont need it, end of story.

people often forget you "point" a shotgun, not aim it.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:00 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:you dont need it, end of story.

Tell it to all the competitive clay shooters that have super tall ribs on their guns. :lol3: A turkey hunter definitely "aims" his shotgun.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:23 pm

I've tried all kinds of fiber optic sights and in my experience the only instance it's beneficial for me is turkey hunting (and seldom necessary then). When wing shooting the FO sights tend to draw my eye away from the target which, at least in my case, produces reduced "hits/kills". I'll stick to my simple bead sight. For me it's there if I need it but not too much to cause a distraction. For me if the light is so poor that I can't see my bead, then there's not much chance I can Identify my target, which draws a whole new set of questions... :huh:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:58 am

The only time you may need a sight on a shotgun is for shooting a cripple on the water where you need to "aim" slightly above his head to allow for the drop in the shot or if you are shooting at a turkey or at a turkey-shoot competition. Shoooting at waterfowl, and upland flying birds, they are completely uneeded and unecessary. They are decorations. I've got one of my old 1100's that has a skeet barrel on it with the second sight mid-way down the barrel. The only good it does me is when I'm going to my skeet range, I can easily identify which 1100 I want to take without trying to read the small print on the barrel.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby deliriousII » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:51 pm

I agree with the consensus that they are not needed but if you are wanting to know what color is better in low light I would say green. I tried both and can see the green WAY easier.
quack addict
deliriousII
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:02 am

Sights on a shotgun? you hunting turkey or deer then yes the bright glow type sights are nice. If your shooting clays or hunting most anything with it then you should not even see the bead, you should be concentrating on the bird. spend the money on chokes or ammo :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby z51 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Buy bullets with that money.
z51
hunter

Postby jpari » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:34 pm

clampdaddy wrote:

Tell it to all the competitive clay shooters that have super tall ribs on their guns. :lol3: A turkey hunter definitely "aims" his shotgun.

I will give you that a turkey hunter will aim his shotgun, however, there is no competitive clay shooter regardless of how high his rib may be that aims his shotgun. I have been shooting competitive clays for years and I have never known a competitive shooter to aim. It just isn't done.
jpari
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:52 pm

jpari wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

I will give you that a turkey hunter will aim his shotgun, however, there is no competitive clay shooter regardless of how high his rib may be that aims his shotgun. I have been shooting competitive clays for years and I have never known a competitive shooter to aim. It just isn't done.

Ok. What's the reason for the exaggerated ribs on clay guns?
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby jpari » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:46 am

clampdaddy wrote:
jpari wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Ok. What's the reason for the exaggerated ribs on clay guns?

The answer is multi faceted. High ribs provide more of a view off to the sides and below the barrel (less obstruction). Holding a "high gun" is very common in trap (2-3 feet above the house) while the shooter will look under the barrel to see the bird exit the house. Of course this is not true for everyone; one eyed shooters are at a disadvantage looking below the barrel and often will hold at the edge or below the lip of the house. High ribs are not as helpful then. Further,high ribs are generally to help with heat disapation and head position. The higher rib keeps the line of sight up off the barrel and out of the heat waves. It also allows a shooter to have a more upright head position. The height of the rib has a little to do with the POI but not much. The angle the rib is on and your head positon in relation to the rib is what mainly controls it. However, no shooter aims at the target using the bead. They will concentrate on the target paying no attention to the bead. Trying to aim at the target using the bead as a sight is a recipe for failure and frustration.
jpari
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:07 pm

So why not just do away with the rib altogether and point the gun, like you're supposed to? If your gun fits you shouldn't need it, right?
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby jpari » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Makes sense to me. I have never been a lover of high ribs. However, I guess gun makers seem to see the need for high ribs when high volume shooting is involved. Actually, for the majority of people who shoot and do not put a great number of shells through their guns in a single day the presence of a ventilated rib is dubious. I wonder if they are put on so many guns today simply as an aesthetic feature?
jpari
hunter

Postby Sprigs68 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:51 pm

My son is a left eye dominant, right hand shooter who was top gun on his high school trap team. He used a standard bead all thru high school without a hitch. However, he sometimes struggled in the blind when it came to quick target acquisition on larger groups of birds. He has since installed the champion sight and feels it helps him to keep his head down when the action gets fast.
Sprigs68
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:29 pm

I have one, I think it is truglo... I love it. Biggest tip I can give you is DON'T LOOK AT IT! You will miss every time. When I pull up on a bird I'm looking at the bird, not the sight. You can't miss the sight, it lights up like a 60watt bulb when you pull the gun up. If you look at the duck you will see the sight in your vision, pull the light bulb out in front of the bird and squeeze the trigger.

First thing I noticed when I put it on was that I stopped shooting over/under the birds on crossing shots, I can see the sight better and make sure it is in front of the bird and not in front and up or down.

A lot of people will tell you its a waste of money or that it will ruin your shooting, most of who have never used one and refuse to try it. Give it a try, I think mine cost me $12. Best $12 I have ever spent to improve my shooting. If you don't like it, give it away or trade it to a hunting buddy for a half box of shells.
BBK
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Forgot to say mine is green. Bought it for low light coyotes but it works great for waterfowl too! I think the orange might be TOO MUCH for waterfowl, might distract you too much.
BBK
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Easy Hit, green.
POKER1
hunter

Postby greenbean » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:44 pm

I run dead ringer in green. Each pack comes with screws to fit any make and 3 color choices so you can decide without having to purchase additional sights.

But I agree with above comments, for myself anyway, I don't look for the bead when wingshooting.
greenbean
hunter

Postby vlb » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:24 pm

Your installing plastic sights not fiber optic sights. Once installed heat both ends with a lighter up, so they can't fall out.
vlb
hunter

Postby rmmj351 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:13 pm

I put the dicks generic one on last year after the front bead fell off. I used the green one and am trying to find the package to swap for the white one. Since putting it on i am at about 95% miss rate. I will say i am a very novice shooter and don't get a chance to clay as much as i would like. For me it definatly draws the eye and i find the pin to be alot thicker then the original bead.
rmmj351
Newb

Postby fullpattern » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:08 am

Diferent shooting styles reguire different customization of shotgun beads. Im not a very good shooter at close in teal or doves. But I shoot above average on high shots and far swinging shots. The bead on my guns are important to me to make sure my eye is correctly alinghed with my barrel. This type of shooting reguires one to somtimes shoot a little above the bird for far swinging shots, and have your barrel well ahead of the bird. On my berreta extreama2 I had the stock beed replaced with one that is larger. The main thing to watch for when shooting farther than 35 yards is to watch the birds wing movement not its head. The direction the birds wings are tipping toward is the direction it will be flying . Birds heads are aften looking down at your decoys while their body is going in another direction. Kind of like a running back faking going one way but his feet are going the opposite way. You can see a bird look towads the danger you shooting at it while its wings are leaning flaping away from you. Dont listen to the bead haters experiment and see what works for you. Good luck.
"If you call they will come" 2013-14 birds. days in field 26
50 grn wings 19 spoon 11 mal 6 rings 5 gad 3 wig 3 sprig
3 cin 4 cans 1 scaup 3 specks 1 Ross 1 snow
fullpattern
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum