Need a place to hunt

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Need a place to hunt

Postby tysindavis » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Hey everybody, I will be moving up to FT. Lewis right before hunting season starts this year and was hoping to get at least a few good hunts in before season ends. Anyone know of any public land semi close to the Ft Lewis that hold ducks? ill be hunting by myself as I wont know anybody around that area but wouldn't mind tagging along for a hunt. Any info helps
tysindavis
Newb

Re: Need a place to hunt

Postby Richardson6 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:23 pm

I just left there after 11 years, if you can get a boat it will help you out a ton. The best places that I found are Johnson's Marsh in TA 10 or the lake in TA 2. The only thing that you need to watch out for is that early season TA 10 does not have a lot of water but a small boat or float tube will work, in late season it can freeze. In TA 2 you can shoot from the banks as long as you have a dog. You can do the same in TA 10 but most of the birds are out in the middle. If you have any questions shot me an email at richarde@up.edu
Richardson6
Newb

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:00 am

If you have some time off on the weekends I will be happy to host you on a few trips. It will be a bit of a drive for you. We shoot a lot of birds.

Thank you for your service.

Ignore the Knuck's on here. Lots of smart azzes with little input of value on here these days.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby tysindavis » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:24 pm

Ill have to link up with you when i get up there if possible Scuap its not looking too promising hunting foreign territory! Wish i was moving back to Utah but Uncle Sam had other plans in mind. Thanks again for the posts
tysindavis
Newb

Postby JMTaylor » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:10 pm

I am here on post as well. I'm gonna be hunting some spots on post if I can find the time. About when are you going to be getting to post?
JMTaylor
hunter

Postby tysindavis » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:15 am

Ill be signing in around the tenth hopefully have the weekends free since the season will have already started but lookin to get out and hunt ASAP
tysindavis
Newb

Postby JMTaylor » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:06 am

10th of September? I will hopefully be going out after some geese that weekend. If it is October I will be in the field for a month and won't be able to hunt ducks until November, but gonna try and go when i get back.
JMTaylor
hunter

Postby tysindavis » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:18 am

No the 10th of October hrc wouldn't let me leave this hell hole early or I'd be there by now. Ill probably just have to make a couple scouting runs to the TA's mentioned above and keep researching the area before I get up there
tysindavis
Newb

Postby cliffordingles » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:02 pm

I get out of the Army on the 1st. When I hunted JBLM I had good luck at the marsh on north fort.
cliffordingles
hunter

Postby low97ram » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:27 pm

drop me a line when you get in. my buddy and i are out on JBLM almost every weekend of the season. you could probably come tag along with us a few times to get the lay of the land. Its also becoming a bit of a pain to register to hunt on base.

pete
Pete
Duck chaser
USN (retired)
low97ram
hunter

Postby duckdogger07 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:58 pm

CANADA. Some what close and absolutely holds birds.
May your birds fly low and your aim be true!

Waiting for October....
duckdogger07
hunter

Postby duurty1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:30 am

low97ram wrote:drop me a line when you get in. my buddy and i are out on JBLM almost every weekend of the season. you could probably come tag along with us a few times to get the lay of the land. Its also becoming a bit of a pain to register to hunt on base.

pete

what did they change this year? It has always been kind of a pain though
duurty1
hunter

Postby low97ram » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:59 am

it's just a pain when the right hand doesn't talk to the left hand. how long is your gun registration good for, do i need to redo it, does the visitor center know what to do....stuff like that. the adventure center is quick and painless but needs to post some of this information so that people don't have to make 2-3 trips in and out the gates. :fingerpt:

pete
Pete
Duck chaser
USN (retired)
low97ram
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:36 pm

low97ram wrote:it's just a pain when the right hand doesn't talk to the left hand. how long is your gun registration good for, do i need to redo it, does the visitor center know what to do....stuff like that. the adventure center is quick and painless but needs to post some of this information so that people don't have to make 2-3 trips in and out the gates. :fingerpt:

pete

Have you tried to address this with the NCOIC? Maybe just bringing it up might bring about some improvement.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby johnsparks91b » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:31 pm

I come back from Korea on leave and I have a few spots to hit while I'm home if you want to join in
johnsparks91b
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting