U.S.- War with Syria?

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: U.S.- War with Syria?

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:51 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/09/08/syria-tomahawk-missiles-chemical-weapons/2770949/
A second senior official, who has seen the most recent planning, offered this metaphor to describe such a strike: If Assad is eating Cheerios, we're going to take away his spoon and give him a fork. Will that degrade his ability to eat Cheerios? Yes. Will it deter him? Maybe. But he'll still be able to eat Cheerios.

What the Image kind of insanity is this?

That second senior official should have been thrown out of his job.

Although is it really and unfair characterization?

The two officers with current and recent service in the Middle East say the term "degrade" is so vague that it could be used to describe the effect of a single cruise missile strike.

Hagel, appearing Wednesday on Capitol Hill, said a strike would cost "tens of millions of dollars." An operation in that range would likely be limited to the cost of launching missiles from U.S. destroyers cruising within range of Syria, according to budget analysts. The Tomahawk missiles aboard the ships, which generally carry dozens of them, cost about $1.1 million each.

And there is the Secretary of Defense quoting the attack in the 10's of millions range. Obama spends more than that in a year travel to vacation.

I guess we are a nation that wishes to talk loudly and carries a pin to prick with.

I'm not old enough to really remember Carter, but is there any way he was half this bad?

We may be weary of war, but this kind of nonsense is exactly how you invite war upon yourself.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:02 pm

A Cheerios analogy for an act of war. Who is planning this mission? Barny and Honey Boo Boo?
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:14 pm

BTW, I ate Cheerios for the first time ever about a month ago. There is nothing cheery about those O's. They taste like cardboard. Obama does not need to take my spoon away and give me a fork. I have been deterred.

We might as well go off on a tangent. It's far less depressing than reading about the Commander in Chief and his staff as they prepare to take us into an unbelievably small war that is supposedly very important to our national interests.

I do believe we have national interests at stake in Syria. Not grand ones and not necessarily ones worth engagement, but not ones we can dismiss out of hand either. Whatever they may have been or may be, they are not served by this bumbling incompetence.

And he is building a coalition of the willing.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/9/coalition-willing-syria-includes-such-superpowers-/

It’s not likely to ease Americans’ concerns about going to war, but the White House announced Monday that Albania is on board with the Obama administration’s plans to punish Syria.

Tiny Estonia, too, has agreed that Syria must be held accountable for using chemical weapons. And Croatia, Denmark, Germany, Honduras, Hungary, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania and Morocco.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:43 pm

It's ok now, we let the esteemed Russia solve the world crisis for us.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

We looked like fing bafoons
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:39 pm

Yep...

^^^^That's from June 2012....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:59 pm

"U.S. Going to Kill Syrians to Show Syria that Killing Syrians is Wrong..."

:lol3: Blog post on another site..... :lol3:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby slowshooter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:17 am

We're going in. Halliburton needs money.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:50 am

WOW...!

The CIC IS the Teflon president... He screws the pooch royally, as Russia AND Iran tell the U.S. to back off. (thank God? :huh: )

YES SIRS!

Now if Assad uses Chems on his people, Mr. Obama can say... "See... Told ya so..." :no:

See... even with the game out of hand, and an imminent loss for all to see , he will still pass Go and collect his $200...

#Unf^ckingbelievable

Well I guess the good news is, we're not going to war? Thank the Lord!
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Andy W » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:56 am

Barry should listen to the Mrs:

Obama says he can’t persuade Michelle to back Syrian strike

President Barack Obama can’t convince his own wife that the United States should punish Syria’s dictator for poisoning more than 1,000 men, women and children.

“If you ask Michelle, ‘Do we do we want to be involved in another war?’ The answer is no,” he told a NBC interviewer Monday afternoon, just a few days after declaring that the nation’s security depended on a firm response to Syrian despot Bashar al-Assad’s alleged chemical weapon attack on a Damascus suburb last month.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/09/obama-says-he-cant-persuade-michelle-to-back-syrian-strike/
Andy W
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:24 am

Gunnysway wrote:WOW...!

The CIC IS the Teflon president... He screws the pooch royally, as Russia AND Iran tell the U.S. to back off. (thank God? :huh: )

YES SIRS!

Now if Assad uses Chems on his people, Mr. Obama can say... "See... Told ya so..." :no:

See... even with the game out of hand, and an imminent loss for all to see , he will still pass Go and collect his $200...

#Unf^ckingbelievable

Well I guess the good news is, we're not going to war? Thank the Lord!

I disagree, if there are more chemical attacks it makes the Pres look like a complete moron that almost took us to war on the same side that likely already chemical weapons in March...the insurgents. At this point there's no avoiding the US looking foolish, but I will give Obama a tiny bit of credit if he backs off. I'd rather appear foolish and weak, and not go to war than look foolish and foolish, and start what could turn into a major conflict.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:37 am

The Post Turtle wrote:“If you ask Michelle, ‘Do we do we want to be involved in another war?’ The answer is no,”

Well good thing it is not a war then. :fingerhead:

Lurch wrote:“We’re not going to war,” "we are talking about doing; an unbelievably small, limited kind of effort.”

It's pretty freaking embarrassing when the President and his Secretary of State are so clueless and disconnected. This is not some underlings babbling about war being like taking your spoon away when you are eating Cheerios, this is the President of the United States of American and the Secretary of State of the United States of America. Do they not get how serious their positions are?
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:01 am

So you really think this President won't use the "I told you so" line if Assad uses more chem weapons?

You must be watching a different CIC than me. All the guy does is blame someone else.

I can hear it now... (in my best Obama voice)

"Once again the Syrian people have had to suffer at the hands of their tyrannical leader. We must no longer watch from across the sea. We must act to stop the continual oppression through the use of chemical weapons. I went to congress with a clear plan to stop the use of WMDs in Syria. I was told it would lead to more war and more anti-American sentiment. I was told by Russia and the entire United Nations to use caution when dealing with the prospect of using military action. Our own leaders of Congress, and the citizens they represent made it clear they were war weary and not willing to engage in a war we were not personally affected by. We conceded, albeit against my better judgement. Now we are once again, faced with the blatant misuse of these WMDs. Had we acted earlier, the loss of life due to horrific circumstances could have been prevented.

So I ask. Should we sit idly by, and watch the brutal destruction of a nation by use of WMDs ordered to suppress freedom of it's people by it's barbarous dictator?

I call on Congress and the American people to think about the people killed by this tragedy. And the people affected by this tragedy. Men women and children that will never be able to see their loved-ones. Are their lives no more important than your husbands? Your wives? Your children?

We must stop this senseless and merciless slaughtering of people through the remorseless use of chemical weapons.

America... It is time to act."

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:19 am

The question is about the double standard.

Hillary Clinton had access to the previous President and all that he knew and she voted for the Iraq war. Is she held to account for supporting Bush by those suffering from BDS? :no:

Lurch was for the war before he was against the war but that may because he never realized it may not have even been a war with the right semantics applied.

Even Obamacare, those with BDS don't blame him or the Democrats for it's failures. Hey they tried the best they can. They feel your pain, even if they are the cause of your pain.

Was Clinton held to account for his crimes by those that hate Republicans? :no:

Was Ted Kennedy held to account for his involvement in the death of a woman? :no:

And then there is this PC insanity.

http://politix.topix.com/homepage/7875-actor-claims-hollywood-apathy-on-syria-is-partly-race-based
One of Hollywood's most vocal men of the left is claiming that celebs are avoiding taking on Obama's push for a strike on Syria at least partially for racial reasons.
"A lot of people don't want to feel anti-black by being opposed to Obama," said longtime progressive (and sometimes voice) actor Edward Asner in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. "I voted for him, but I'm not proud."

My guess is that this is how the Obamamaniacs view it.

No more chemical attacks - Obama scared them straight. He's aweseome :bow: :bow: :bow:

More chemical attacks by Assad - Those damned Republicans, regardless of how many Dems vote with them or vice versa, hamstrung Obama. He's aweseome :bow: :bow: :bow:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:49 am

beretta24 wrote:It's ok now, we let the esteemed Russia solve the world crisis for us.

You do realize that Russia's only involvement in this will be in RETALIATION to a US assault. Meaning they wouldn't be solving much for us.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:44 am

I'm pretty sure Russia wants nothing to do with a war against the U.S.

It wouldn't take much to send them back to their cold war era economy.

Who would want to actually go to war with us? I think that would be a huge mistake for anyone except Sweden... everyone knows they would dominate us.

The deal is Putin called our presidents bluff, and since he (Obama) is clearly an ego driven yellow bellied sap sucker, he feels the need to bang his war drum.

Now if we're gonna do it, we should dispose of Russia with a barrage that would light up the universe. Like a magician trick. Slight of hand. You think we'er going after Syria? Nope. Enjoy your nuclear Christmas you commies.

Syria... your next.

Or... we should just stay the hell out of other countries business unless it ACTUALLY effects our national interests. Let that coward organization The United Nations handle it. If they can't? That's their problem.

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:14 am

Gunnysway wrote:So you really think this President won't use the "I told you so" line if Assad uses more chem weapons?

You must be watching a different CIC than me. All the guy does is blame someone else.

I can hear it now... (in my best Obama voice)

"Once again the Syrian people have had to suffer at the hands of their tyrannical leader. We must no longer watch from across the sea. We must act to stop the continual oppression through the use of chemical weapons. I went to congress with a clear plan to stop the use of WMDs in Syria. I was told it would lead to more war and more anti-American sentiment. I was told by Russia and the entire United Nations to use caution when dealing with the prospect of using military action. Our own leaders of Congress, and the citizens they represent made it clear they were war weary and not willing to engage in a war we were not personally affected by. We conceded, albeit against my better judgement. Now we are once again, faced with the blatant misuse of these WMDs. Had we acted earlier, the loss of life due to horrific circumstances could have been prevented.

So I ask. Should we sit idly by, and watch the brutal destruction of a nation by use of WMDs ordered to suppress freedom of it's people by it's barbarous dictator?

I call on Congress and the American people to think about the people killed by this tragedy. And the people affected by this tragedy. Men women and children that will never be able to see their loved-ones. Are their lives no more important than your husbands? Your wives? Your children?

We must stop this senseless and merciless slaughtering of people through the remorseless use of chemical weapons.

America... It is time to act."

You're missing my point, which may not have been articulated well, that if Syria hands over weapons and there's another attack, there's a good chance that the rebel" will be the side responsible for the attack. Then he still looks like a jackwagon for trying to get the world to support bombing the Syrian government (for using chemical weapons) in favor of the rebels who have likely already used chemical weapons (this past March) against the government. There's no escaping stupid anymore. The best the US can do at this point is avoid another war.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:17 am

MODuckkiller wrote:
beretta24 wrote:It's ok now, we let the esteemed Russia solve the world crisis for us.

You do realize that Russia's only involvement in this will be in RETALIATION to a US assault. Meaning they wouldn't be solving much for us.

I was referring to the potential the Russia negotiates/conspires with Syria to give up their weapons and avoid an attack by the US.

Isn't that the type of thing we are supposed to be doing instead of trying to bomb them right away?????? You know, if war is a last resort and all....
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Chilidawg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:35 am

beretta24 wrote:
I was referring to the potential the Russia negotiates/conspires with Syria to give up their weapons and avoid an attack by the US.

Isn't that the type of thing we are supposed to be doing instead of trying to bomb them right away?????? You know, if war is a last resort and all....

Have you considered the possibility that this was the plan all along? Apparently we were talking to the Russians about this sort of thing well before last week.

Lets review the situation:

The Assad regime used chemical weapons on a suburb of Damascus under rebel control, killing innocent civilians.

President Obama threatened to use military strikes against the Assad regime in response.

The Russians talked Assad (their puppet) into relinquishing controll of his chemical weapons to avoid being attacked.

President Obama agreed to pause any move towards a military strike to see if Putin can deliver on his proposal.

Classic good cop/bad cop strategy that results in a win-win for everyone.
Chilidawg
hunter

Postby Chilidawg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:39 am

Gunnysway wrote:
Or... we should just stay the hell out of other countries business unless it ACTUALLY effects our national interests. Let that coward organization The United Nations handle it. If they can't? That's their problem.

The problem is: everything that happens on this earth effects our national interest to some degree.
Chilidawg
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:44 am

How does a bunch of dead Syrians affect our national interests?

WE ARE NOT THE WORLD POLICE!

That is what the U.N. and NATO are for.

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Chilidawg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:52 am

Gunnysway wrote:The deal is Putin called our presidents bluff,

Really? If the president's threat to launch a military strike was a bluff, the how was Putin's action calling him on it?

It seems to me that Assad is willing to go along with Putin's plan precisely because he does not want US strikes.

If they were so sure that the threat of US military action was a bluff, they would have told the US to go pound sand.

Instead, they are doing exactly what we want them to do.

You are letting your hatred of President Obama cloud your analysis of the situation.
Chilidawg
hunter

U.S.- War with Syria?

Postby Chilidawg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:55 am

Gunnysway wrote:How does a bunch of dead Syrians affect our national interests?

WE ARE NOT THE WORLD POLICE!

That is what the U.N. and NATO are for.

How is it not in our national interest to have peace and economic stability in the Middle East?

Edit: rereading gunnysway's post, I am struck by the irony of the fact that he thinks the UN and NATO should be the world's police.

Who is the biggest, most powerful member of those two groups?
Chilidawg
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:01 am

What is the roll of those two entities?

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:03 am

Chilidawg wrote:
Gunnysway wrote:The deal is Putin called our presidents bluff,

Really? If the president's threat to launch a military strike was a bluff, the how was Putin's action calling him on it?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-0 ... trike.html

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Chilidawg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:07 am

What is the ultimate end game here?

The only way to achieve peace in Syria will be through a negotiated settlement between Assad and the rebels. Even them, it will likely take years to achieve.

Look at Lebanon, after decades of civil war, they were finally getting somewhere, that is until Assad went nuts and started killing his own people, driving all the refugees into Lebanon.
Chilidawg
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum