Mossburg 935 cycling and jamming!!!!!!

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Mossburg 935 cycling and jamming!!!!!!

Postby clymerfowler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:47 pm

my friend just bought a 935 for geese and it will only cycle heavy 3 inch turkey loads. 3 inch steel doesn't cycle, 3 1/4 steel doesn't cycle (it jams), and nothing else cycles through the gun. it wont even eject anything but heavy federal turkey loads in 3 inch.
mallards 8 (1band)
Wigeon 1
Pintail 1
woodies 7
goldens 3
buffies 1
bluebills 1
geese 57
clymerfowler
hunter

Re: Mossburg 935 cycling and jamming!!!!!!

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Is it brand new? Take a whole box of those turkey loads and run it through it really quick and try to loosen it up. If it still won't, call Mossberg.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:55 am

Something is wrong with the gun, save your bullets and call Mossberg.
z51
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:20 am

FIrst thing you want to do is calm down!!!!!!! :lol3: Seriously though you first need to THOROUGHLY CLEAN the about gallon of kosmoline out of the gun that Mossberg packs them in. I mean strip it down to clean, dry metal and don't forget the gas ports. Then spray all friction surfaces with a silicone type lube. I like to use the liquid wrench silicone spray and just lightly mist every part (don't soak them!). Reassemble and cycle the action to distribupe the lube in the channels you may have missed. If it STILL doesn't run contact Mossberg, but ( time in 10 it's the rediculous amounts of packing grease that causes malfunctions in Mossbergs, NOT the fact that it's a Mossberg, no matter what the haters say. :no:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby The Drake » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:27 pm

Send it back.......its that simple
The Drake
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:30 pm

x2 on stripping it. They greased it like a ford truck. Take it all apart, wipe it all up, but I'd lubricate the piston with dry graphite.
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:02 am

After cleaning the 935 with carb cleaner, hone all the sharp edges off and apply valve seating compound to all moving parts and reassemble working the action 300 times. Disassemble and wash all the valve seating compound off with hot water. Apply Hoppes gun oil removing the excess by wiping off or blowing off with air. The 935's do not like Rem Oil, especially in 10F weather. Your gun should be broke in and cycle fine. If not you have a mechanical problem and send it back to Mossberg. I broke mine in this way, in fact all my autos. I shoot 2 3/4 steel in my 935 if it it is going 1550 fps or faster. My favorite load is 7/8 oz of 4's at 1765 fps for ducks and with B's for geese. Good luck. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby Griffin4590 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Buy a benelli.. Seriously not being a ****. I had one and tried everything under the sun and it was just never 100% reliable. Sold it and bought a SBE1 and have never once looked back
Griffin4590
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:45 pm

Griffin4590 wrote:Buy a benelli.. Seriously not being a ****. I had one and tried everything under the sun and it was just never 100% reliable. Sold it and bought a SBE1 and have never once looked back

I shoot a Beretta 390. he has a Winchester 1300 that nether of us could hit the ground with.
mallards 8 (1band)
Wigeon 1
Pintail 1
woodies 7
goldens 3
buffies 1
bluebills 1
geese 57
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Jon Bergren wrote:After cleaning the 935 with carb cleaner, hone all the sharp edges off and apply valve seating compound to all moving parts and reassemble working the action 300 times. Disassemble and wash all the valve seating compound off with hot water. Apply Hoppes gun oil removing the excess by wiping off or blowing off with air. The 935's do not like Rem Oil, especially in 10F weather. Your gun should be broke in and cycle fine. If not you have a mechanical problem and send it back to Mossberg. I broke mine in this way, in fact all my autos. I shoot 2 3/4 steel in my 935 if it it is going 1550 fps or faster. My favorite load is 7/8 oz of 4's at 1765 fps for ducks and with B's for geese. Good luck. Ned S

Sorry but this as a fix to a new gun is ridiculous. Reading stuff like this over and over really makes me never want to buy one. Give me a break. It's like buying a new car and having to have it all rebuilt. What a joke. Now Mossberg has join Remington at the BOTTOM of my list for guns. I hope this guy figures it out. Good luck!!! :beer:
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:58 pm

I have run literally almost a thousand rounds through mine and I have 7 friends that own them we all had the same problem... they put about a gallon of that white grease in the back of the action so just break it all down clean the snot out of it put in plenty of RemOil on the action and let the good times roll! I LOVE mine and the more you shoot it the looser it gets you will eventually be able to run trap loads through it. I dove hunted with mine this season and it cycled like a dream. I also recommend the Kicks Hi Flyer chokes for your ducks man it makes all the difference in the world. You will burn a lot of shells before you get used to it for birds (Dove and Teal use them like batting practice) but if you ever get used to it you will never take it out! Good Luck and don't give up on the 935 it can be a very reliable gun once broke in. :thumbsup:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:56 am

My 935 never had an issue but I just did not like the feel of it. Once you give it a complete cleaning it will probably cycle just fine.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jon Bergren » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:57 am

To own and use any shotgun you have to be smarter than the gun. Ned S the young 84 yr old.
Jon Bergren
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum