Low water?

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Low water?

Postby hurtin_honkers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:18 am

Just doing some scouting and I noticed that for this time of year, a lot of my spots are extremely low? Which seems off, due to the amount of snow we had, and the wet spring we had. We haven't had a lot of rain this summer, but a steady amount... Just hoping some small potholes won't be bone dry by the season
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Re: Low water?

Postby Seaductor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:09 am

That's kind of funny you mentioned this. I went to check my local beaver bog and the place was a foot higher than usual!! Beavers have done a good job managing their water level. Everywhere else seems pretty low.

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby native brookie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:49 am

Spring run-off and early summer rains will only take you so far.

By some measures, we've had an extremely summer. But, at least here in Augusta, someone turned the spigot off about 3 weeks ago, and it has been extremely dry since then. We had more than 4 inches of rain on August 10, and less than 1/10 of an inch since then.
native brookie
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:58 pm

That's what I was thinking... These last few weeks (minus the past two days) are the first 3-4 weeks without rain. Compared to last summer where it was bone dry for the longest time, I'm surprised the water is low as it is! I'm really crossing my fingers for some rain in the next month. Like the famous Phil Robertson once said "ducks are like woman, they don't like mud on their butts"
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting