Caesar Creek Teal and then Duck Season

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

Caesar Creek Teal and then Duck Season

Postby SpoonyShooter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm heading to Ohio to do some visiting with my parents this fall/winter and was planning on trying to get out to Caesar Creek to do some hunting. I grew up in the area but did not start hunting until recently and because of that I'm not familiar with how things are run there. Anybody hunt it? Do they do a daily lotto for unoccupied blinds? Is a boat pretty much required or are there plentiful spots for chest waders?

Thanks to anyone, I'd be more than happy to go out there with somebody (not looking for your spots, but to find our own, and I'm more concerned about deep spots going alone). Also going to try for some dove out there, I'll be in town Sept 10-12 for sure.

I am going to call them directly, but figured I'd throw out a net here. Thanks again!
SpoonyShooter
hunter

Re: Caesar Creek Teal and then Duck Season

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:36 pm

SpoonyShooter wrote:I'm heading to Ohio to do some visiting with my parents this fall/winter and was planning on trying to get out to Caesar Creek to do some hunting. I grew up in the area but did not start hunting until recently and because of that I'm not familiar with how things are run there.

SpoonyShooter wrote:Do they do a daily lotto for unoccupied blinds?

No.

SpoonyShooter wrote:Is a boat pretty much required?

Eh, for the most part since you are coming in from out of town. It's a big lake, showing up on the occasional weekend and being able to get to them in places you can access by foot is a long shot at best.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby SpoonyShooter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:57 pm

Thanks!

I will be able to hit them up during the week, too. I actually figured that weekends would be crammed pretty tight there.
SpoonyShooter
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:12 pm

SpoonyShooter wrote:Thanks!

I will be able to hit them up during the week, too. I actually figured that weekends would be crammed pretty tight there.

When you call the office there, ask if you're allowed to hunt the draw blinds at all. Based on what I now know from other DNR run lakes, you can't without written permission from the owner.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:19 am

Botiz,
I think it depends on whether or not you pay for the blind. I am in with a group at Delaware and you have to pay if you get drawn and that prevents others from using the blind. Have not been to Caesar's drawing so not sure how that one works, if you don't pay I believe they are open to others but the owner of the blind can kick you out. Someone out there correct me if I am wrong, that was just how it was explained at our drawing.
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Postby SpoonyShooter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:49 am

I started hunting after I moved to California and the refuges here are lottery drawn for every hunt day about 2 weeks out, then on the day of there is another drawing for the open blinds. Just like every marsh here is slightly different, I figured the same for marshes in other states.

I'm more than willing to do some hiking with a handful of dekes on my back to get to some free-roam areas, though.

I'm getting ready to move cross country now, worst time of the year to move as far as hunting goes. Will end up in Morgantown, WV, but like I said I'll be spending a lot of time in Ohio, too.

Anybody that wants to dove hunt Sept 10-12 in SW Ohio, let me know! I think I'm going to skip out on the teal, sounds like it will be a pain in the ass. Of course unless I see them flying somewhere.
SpoonyShooter
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:52 am

vtcupped'n'locked wrote:Botiz,
I think it depends on whether or not you pay for the blind. I am in with a group at Delaware and you have to pay if you get drawn and that prevents others from using the blind. Have not been to Caesar's drawing so not sure how that one works, if you don't pay I believe they are open to others but the owner of the blind can kick you out. Someone out there correct me if I am wrong, that was just how it was explained at our drawing.

You have to pay at Caesar Creek if you get drawn.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:55 am

SpoonyShooter wrote:I started hunting after I moved to California and the refuges here are lottery drawn for every hunt day about 2 weeks out, then on the day of there is another drawing for the open blinds. Just like every marsh here is slightly different, I figured the same for marshes in other states.

I'm more than willing to do some hiking with a handful of dekes on my back to get to some free-roam areas, though.

I'm getting ready to move cross country now, worst time of the year to move as far as hunting goes. Will end up in Morgantown, WV, but like I said I'll be spending a lot of time in Ohio, too.

Anybody that wants to dove hunt Sept 10-12 in SW Ohio, let me know! I think I'm going to skip out on the teal, sounds like it will be a pain in the ass. Of course unless I see them flying somewhere.

I'm sure what you are used to out in California is permanent blinds owned by the state. Like VT said, most of the lakes that have draw blinds in Ohio do a lottery in August and the winner of every blind location has to pay and build the blind and has the right to it all season.

There are several managed areas that do daily lotteries though, probably very similar to what you hunted in California. Nothing in SW Ohio though, they are mostly central and NW Ohio. Visit the DNR website and it won't be hard to find a list of these areas.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Cincyems » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:13 pm

The duck blind lotteries for all Ohio state parks are held on the second Saturday in August each year. If you are drawn in the lottery it is $50.00 dollars to lease a blind location. In ohio, you may only hunt in a persons blind if you have written permission from the blind owner, just as you would have to have hunting on someone's property. Depending on the park, there are usually a few that don't get taken which can be leased. To find if there are any available contact the park office of the park you would like to hunt. Hope this helps.
Cincyems
hunter

Postby SpoonyShooter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:57 am

Thanks a lot for all of the help, guys. I really appreciate it. Are there any public lands in Ohio where you can just show up and have a chance to hunt (blind or free roaming, doesn't really matter to me)? The DNR website doesn't really say how any places are run except for St. Mary's.

And if anyone wants to dove hunt Spring Valley, Caesar's Creek, or Rush Run on Sept 10, 11, or 12 I plan on going one or two of those days.
SpoonyShooter
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting