Cold Bluing

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Cold Bluing

Postby BT Justice » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:38 am

Got an old SxS I'm working on and want to go the cold blue route with it. I'm spending a lot of time in finishing the metal and trying to get the prep work right. I've heard different thing's on different cold blue's so want some option's...I'm leaning towards Brownells Oxpho Blue. Anybody use this stuff and how were the results...
BT Justice
hunter

Re: Cold Bluing

Postby z51 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:34 am

Yes, it is the best I have used on large areas. Prep and cleaning the surface is still very important as with any bluing solution.
z51
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:01 am

z51 wrote:Yes, it is the best I have used on large areas. Prep and cleaning the surface is still very important as with any bluing solution.

agree.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:50 am

BT Justice wrote:Got an old SxS I'm working on and want to go the cold blue route with it. I'm spending a lot of time in finishing the metal and trying to get the prep work right. I've heard different thing's on different cold blue's so want some option's...I'm leaning towards Brownells Oxpho Blue. Anybody use this stuff and how were the results...

All I have ever used is Brownells Oxpho-Blue. I remove the old coating with a buffing wheel and a buffer bought at Sears. After buffing I scour the polished barrell with a non chlorinated scouring powder. I raise the temperature of the hot water to rinse the scouring powder off and to raise the temperature of the barrel between coats. I apply 7 coats of Oxpho Blue wiping it off with 0000 steel wool between coats. After the final coat I apply unboiled linseed oil and let it stand for two days then apply Hoppes Gun oil. I have done seven 870 Expresses this way as well as some of my own guns. The Ospho-Blue holds up very well with seven coats. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:36 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm finding the metal prep work a challenge enough, having to deal with some very minor pitting on the barrel surfaces. The gun is over 80 years old so it's to be expected, but I want to make it look right.
BT Justice
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum