How to hunt Wood Ducks

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

How to hunt Wood Ducks

Postby earlyriser » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:17 pm

I first found this site searching the web for wood duck calls, and since joining I have been given names of several differnt calls to tryout. But what about decoy spreads and does the wood duck respond to a feeding call or just the flying squeal and the water whine ?
><>
earlyriser
Newb

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:29 am

calling is not highly productive in my experience - but it could/does provide general attraction to your location and may stimulate a flyby. Woodies are tough to decoy - at least right into a set-up. I really try to be in the place they will go on their own. I put out the blocks just to add confidence and some attraction. If they fly over I usually call a shot because they may not circle like a mallard ortblack and respond/work to a call.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:14 am

My best approach is to find and oak overhanging the water and set up a few wood duck dekes on a jerk string,makes it look like they are feeding on acorns.Don't know if it has as much affect on the ducks as it does on me but it works either way.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Huntinracer » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:20 am

Ive found that when Im hunting mallards that they land away from the decoys and will swim to them by the shore. I hunt on the Missouri river so it might be different. I shoot alot of wood ducks on the river and they respond to my water wine but the flying squeal never works for me. I dont use robo ducks so thats probably why.lol
I have Hunted almost everyday of my life, The rest has been wasted!!!!!!
-Primos
Huntinracer
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:11 pm

DUKHTR hit the nail directly on the head - well put.
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby berettaman » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:50 pm

I agree with DUKHTR as well. I hunt a secluded creek that holds a ton in the early season. A call will usually strike interest and swing them by.....just be quick to shoot and don't plan on having them swing by again. I also agree with Huntinracer that they will swim in most times.....kind of interesting to see. I had this happen at least 3 times in the early season this past year. Managed to jump and shoot a bunch of them this way.

I am planning on installing a few houses in each of my hunting locations this year and urge others to take part and do this as well. A little Lumber and time goes a long way with the production capabilities of these little guys.
berettaman
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:12 pm

berrettaman - great to hear you will be putting out some houses. Just two weeks ago I was out on the ice with a stepladder redoing three on a beaver pond. I put them up about five years ago. All three had remnants of use!!!!!!!!!! This is the first year I have had more than one used.

As you mention - a box is easy to make (and I am not a skilled woodworker). Just need some simple cuts (hand saw will work), nails a hinge and some wire fencing.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby berettaman » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:38 pm

That sounds great DUKHTR....I hope all the houses I am working on will be as sucessful. I am just finishing up number 7 but have all the pieces cut to make a total of 14. The best part is that the lumber was free! The state capitol buildings were redoing some chiller pipes and the crate material is made from 1x12......PERFECT.

I hope they work well. I cant wait to get back in the swamps this weekend with my new Mad River Canoe to install them.
berettaman
hunter

Postby MICAH » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:32 am

THE BEST THINK TO DO IS SCOUT. IF THE WOODIES ARE COMING THEIR COMING THEIR MIND IS MADE UP BEFORE THEY LEAVE THE ROOST WHERE THEY ARE GOING. WATCH WHERE THE LAND AND YOU HAVE A BETTER THAN 50% CHANCE THAT THEY WILL BE RIGHT BACK THERE THE NEXT MORNING. IF YOU SHOOT A WOODIE HOLE GIVE IT A GOOD WEEK BEFORE GOING BACK. DON'T PUT DECOYS WERE THEY ARE LANDING BUT MAKE SURE THEY ARE IN GUN RANGE. I USE 1 TO 2 PAIR. MAKE SURE YOU ARE CONCEALED FACE MASH, GLOVES AND A GOOD BLIND. GOOD LUCK
MICAH
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:25 pm

the limit here is only 2 so if i want to shot woodies just trying to sneak up along them and shoot them pretty affted and but often makes for a quick hunt

you can also flot hunt which is jsut sitting in a camo boat and lettign the curret take you to them

or you can just slowly wade creeks for them

and i just heard a guy talking about hunting them out of float tube and just letting himself float down a stream but i guess that is pretty much float hunting...

i have never really set out deks for woodies i more or less jump shoot them off creeks and try to pick out single drakes
Last edited by yellowlab on Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:29 pm

The limit is the same here too, so it is easy to get your limit.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

They come to the call!!!

Postby jduck1 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:20 pm

I hunt the CA refuge system in the Butte Sink area of N. CA. The area I hunt is next to rice fields. It is true what has been said above about find where they are one day and they will be there the next . I have hunted the same pot hole area that has several rows of trees boardering it and they are in the same spot year after year. It is almost a given that you will bag at least one each trip and often you have the chance to fill your limit (7) if you choose to.
They decoy in with Mallard decoys, rob ducks, Pintail, Teal, or any other decoys. Usually they make up there mind and dive right in. Other times they can be called and once they see your spread they either come in or keep flying. Not much working them like a Sprig or Malards. Action is like a Teal hunt at times.
Usually the only call they respond to is a hawk like sound that I make by drawing air into (not blowing) a 6n1 whistle call. Just one or two calls and not supper loud or they blow right over you. Once you get them to turn , let them find you and stop calling.

At least it works for me :thumbsup:
Good luck and hope it helps!!
jduck1
jduck1
hunter

They come to the call!!!

Postby jduck1 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:23 pm

Sorry double post :getdown:
Last edited by jduck1 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jduck1
hunter

wood ducks

Postby Xtrema Hunter » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:40 pm

They come into the canada spreads where i hunt.
IF IT FLYS IT DIES
Xtrema Hunter
hunter

Woodys

Postby ifitflies_itdies » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:18 pm

I don't think woody's really pay attention at all to calling,decoys may have some effect, but what i have seen about woody's.....be where they roost cuz thats where they're comin decoys or not
Wes Rodgers
ifitflies_itdies
Newb

Postby jeremy adams » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:18 am

I have alot of sucsess on woodies. they will decoy. and calling does work. but the best way to kill woodies is to be where they want to go. you can't use normal decoy patterns they don't work. woodies don't land in pockets they fall in where they can. keep decoys in pairs and scaterd out. not in the middle of the water. close to the bank. they will come to calls also. try the squiel before they come in before you see them. they will hear it on the roost. then if you see them do the peep sound they make when sitting on the water. ( quawik )very soft. if they buzz you and going away do they squiel agin.(weeeet..weeeet....weeeet..) mojos will attract them but if they hit the water they want stay.they will take back off shortley after. if they land away from you and you don't have a mojo they will swim to the decoys if you peap.(quawick). that is my take on woodies but you do what you want or listen to who you want. every area is differant. I am in GA and that is our #1 duck killed here.
shotem in the head not shotem til there dead!
jeremy adams
hunter

Postby jeremy adams » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:24 am

MICAH wrote:THE BEST THINK TO DO IS SCOUT. IF THE WOODIES ARE COMING THEIR COMING THEIR MIND IS MADE UP BEFORE THEY LEAVE THE ROOST WHERE THEY ARE GOING. WATCH WHERE THE LAND AND YOU HAVE A BETTER THAN 50% CHANCE THAT THEY WILL BE RIGHT BACK THERE THE NEXT MORNING. IF YOU SHOOT A WOODIE HOLE GIVE IT A GOOD WEEK BEFORE GOING BACK. DON'T PUT DECOYS WERE THEY ARE LANDING BUT MAKE SURE THEY ARE IN GUN RANGE. I USE 1 TO 2 PAIR. MAKE SURE YOU ARE CONCEALED FACE MASH, GLOVES AND A GOOD BLIND. GOOD LUCK
if you want to keep them around never shot the roost in they evening. shoot it in the morning and they will always come back and you can shot it every day.
shotem in the head not shotem til there dead!
jeremy adams
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting