Lake Bonneville Layout Boats

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Lake Bonneville Layout Boats

Postby threedogs » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Last edited by threedogs on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Gonegoosin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:07 pm

I towed one of Tony's Apparition's behind my boat last year, for obvious reasons. I owned a 1648 War eagle then. I now have an 1860 Excel F4 for this season along with one of the new Apparition's with Kelly's modifications. I will have my new boat out of storage this weekend for a youth event. I'll be sure to take a picture or two so I can post them here. Of the current model's Lake Bonneville produces, the Big Brother, that is pictured in previous posts is the only one with massive foot space while still having an extremely low profile. I am only 5'6 with a size 9 shoe. I am perfectly comfortable in any of these boats but for someone with larger feet and a longer frame, you would need the Big Brother.

I should throw in a disclaimer, that I only went about 10 mph while loaded like you see here as well as towing the layout and the largest water I hunted this way, with this set up, was the Great Salt Lake. I recognize that you fella's up north hunt larger waters than we do here in Utah so towing at the speeds you may reach could be a different story.
Attachments
2012 Setup-40%.jpg
Gonegoosin
hunter

Postby threedogs » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Well today Kelly called me. He was very cordial and seems like a hell of a nice guy. He explained his situation and I believe him. I am thinking very hard about my 6th boat being one of his boats. If I do get one I will drive to SLC and pick it up in person and murder some ducks while I am there. I may just go up and hunt w/o buying one to see if I actually want it . We shall see.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Glad to read that it is working out for everyone. Tony was a hell of a nice guy and it's a great boat, so hopefully Kelly carries on where Tony left off.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Three d, glad you got to talk to Kelly. He is driving half way to Idaho to meet me right now, with two coffin blinds for my sons youth hunt. He even offered me his own blinds out of his garage. Again, I've only met him once! I think you should come up to get a boat and hunt Utah. Hey, I've got no hard feelings, if you make it, drive up to Idaho whie you're here and we'll go hunt some geese buddy!
blackrock
hunter

Postby threedogs » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:25 pm

blackrock wrote:Three d, glad you got to talk to Kelly. He is driving half way to Idaho to meet me right now, with two coffin blinds for my sons youth hunt. He even offered me his own blinds out of his garage. Again, I've only met him once! I think you should come up to get a boat and hunt Utah. Hey, I've got no hard feelings, if you make it, drive up to Idaho whie you're here and we'll go hunt some geese buddy!

No hard feelings on my part. I sometimes say things before I think and then end up looking like an ass.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby TX-Carl » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:39 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Can't wait to see the pics, please focus on what's DIFFERENT about the prior boat.
Also,
1) How big are you and what size boots? Feet straight up in this boat or cocked to the side?
2) Is it designed to tow?

I bought the apparition and I am 6 ft and 200 lbs, I wear size 12 boots. I do not plan on towing the boat but I wouldn't think that you would want to tow it any faster than 10 mph.

I will be putting the boat in the water this weekend, I'll make sure to post some pics.
TX-Carl
hunter

Postby TX-Carl » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:55 pm

I do have a question for you guys that have experience with layout boats. The new boat seems awful shiny, is there a way to dull it down? Should I leave it out in the sun? My dad wants to take sandpaper and rub off some of the gloss, I would like to consider other options before the old man scratches my new boat.
TX-Carl
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Is water dull or shiney?

I wouldn't change a thing. It's the duck killingest boat made. We have 3 big brothers and put over 1,000 birds on the floor of the boat last fall.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:35 am

g_maxson wrote:Is water dull or shiney?

I wouldn't change a thing. It's the duck killingest boat made. We have 3 big brothers and put over 1,000 birds on the floor of the boat last fall.

"1,000" , I am trying to get my head wrapped around that :rolleyes:
Are you a guide?
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:57 am

Weedwacker wrote:

Are you a guide?

Nope, not a guide.

Hunting 6-9 guys a day on the weekend = 72-108 birds a weekend. Then throw in vacation days during the week hunting 2-3 guys and it adds up quick.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:26 am

Weedwacker wrote:

Are you a guide?

I believe it I hunted out of my big brother the last 7 days of my season (all the time I had left after it got off the semi) and between 2 guys we killed around 80 birds. murdered the divers and even manage a few honkers.

I've been lerking around this thread just reading the responses. I have been running UFOs and been around MLBs up until now and they handle the rougher water well. However, they really suck when its less than a 1' chop; the boats stick out horrible. I wasn't satisfied however with the profiles and the workmens ship of the boats. When I had guys climb over them you could hear the boats crack a little. So I decided I was going to do a little homework, when I saw on my Destination X video they had a segment of LBLB the where they showed the building process as well as three guys standing on an apparition and the boat didn't make a sound. I proceeded to watch them gun in 1' chop and the profiles were that of the old style busicks. I wanted one to say the least.

I'd like to state my experiences with LBLB. I contacted Tony in October last year and proceeded to purchase a Big brother from him. After I made the full payment in October I had zero contact with the company, I couldn't get them on the phone or even responded to my email. I waited till mid December and was just about ready to send pay pal after him to refund my money when I got a tracking number. The semi dropped the boat an all I can say is I was in love at first sight! I however wasn't happy with the way I was treated throughout the process but I loved the product, minus a few minor changes.

I decided after those 7 hunts and seeing the difference in the way the birds worked my rig I was going to get a second LBLB even though I hated the way tony treated me. I started contacting Tony in May and it was aperient that he was a very busy man. The worst part was that I really enjoyed talking with Tony. He is a very nice and caring person but I think he had way to much on his plate this past year to handle layout boat customers. In July I received a phone call from Kelly stating that he had bought LBLB and that he would be handling my order from here on out.

I went ahead and proceeded giving him my order for another big brother and all the accessories the company offers. I even decided to get a total of two extra splash guards so I would have them on hand during duck season if one were to wear out on me. I also stated that I wanted a 12'' tall splash guard because the stock one I had waves splashing right over it in swallow water. It went ahead and paid the 50% down and I thought all was well.

About 3 days later I receive a call from Kelly stating that what I wanted to do was not worth all the work. He said that he could run me a boat in about a week and it would be the same as the boat I currently had. However he said he would not feel right doing so. He told me that he hated the splash guards and that he wanted to remodel them.....he said that it would take time but that he thought I would be loads happier with them, and the new system he wanted to employ. I was amazed that he even would come out and state this to his customer. Most companies would have completed my order and then it would have been my problem. He gained a lot of my respect in that phone call!

Kelly continued to contact me almost weekly explaining the problems he was having with the website, creating the splash guard etc but he maintained to be very transparent with me. I understand completely the problems he was having changing things about the company for the better. All of the features he is adding to these boats is for the end user, ok this means it is doing absolutely nothing to boost profits for him. Simply improving on the best product in the market. He is planning on getting all the bugs worked out and getting this company to the point of one week wait time for a boat which will be huge. He has been very good at listening to my feedback on the splash guards and a handful of other things as well as accommodating me as best he can.

My boat and all of my accessories were delivered as of Wednesday. Everything looks great and I can't wait to use it come Oct 12th on opener. I will definitely be purchasing the new splash guard system as well for my older bonnie. Sure it took a little longer than either one of us had planned but I feel that I was getting a lot better product and I enjoyed the conversation we had over this experience. I will continue to do business with him! :beer:

I will get some pictures up this weekend of the new designed splash guard against the old style, as well as some of the accessories.
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:36 pm

g_maxson
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:54 pm

g_maxson wrote:
Weedwacker wrote:

Are you a guide?

Nope, not a guide.

Hunting 6-9 guys a day on the weekend = 72-108 birds a weekend. Then throw in vacation days during the week hunting 2-3 guys and it adds up quick.

Interesting :bow:
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby threedogs » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:31 pm

My question is how can 1 person hunt out of these alone?
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:57 pm

threedogs wrote:My question is how can 1 person hunt out of these alone?

Wadeable water.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby threedogs » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:02 pm

Kinda defeats the purpose.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:33 pm

I watched the development of this boat design over the last couple of years. He was always shooting in wadeable water. My next door neighbor puts his youngest son in a Kara in wadeable water and retreats to the dyke to let him have at it. He is 14 years old and is the king of his domain out there in the middle of the decoy spread.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby g_maxson » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:49 pm

threedogs wrote:Kinda defeats the purpose.

Why would it defeat the purpose? Open water is open water regardless if it's 2' deep and nothing for a few hundred yards or if your 10 miles offshore in 70'
g_maxson
hunter

Postby threedogs » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Its warm enough here that when I hunt wadeable water I usually sit in a lawn chair..
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:59 pm

g_maxson wrote:
threedogs wrote:My question is how can 1 person hunt out of these alone?

Wadeable water.

I did it for years.....hunt the tide
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby threedogs » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Come over to Arizona and show me how to hunt the tide....
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:36 pm

g_maxson wrote:http://youtu.be/wOl4o9hHYfg

http://youtu.be/0tQWsGp941k

http://youtu.be/mEAlOfAUqVY

I like the videos. I can't get over how small your spreads are. I really like the last video, in your face....love it!
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Gonegoosin » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:13 pm

Here is a picture of the updated Apparition as promised. I'll get a better picture that shows the splashguard up close but for now, this picture speaks volumes as to the strength of the boat. Kelly Pope, the new owner of LBLB came by an educational event yesterday at the Bear River Bird Refuge to talk to folks young and old about the modifications and teach folks about layout hunting.
Attachments
IMG_1913-50%.jpg
Gonegoosin
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:24 am

Gone, that new Apparition looks great, I like that spray shield! That might be our second layout boat for my son, and use on calmer days, smaller water. We have the Big Brother now. Or maybe the new dog boat for Cheyenne.........
blackrock
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds