Anyone Hunt by Halifax?

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Anyone Hunt by Halifax?

Postby CPAhunter » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:28 pm

Hi, I'm a younger hunter and I am a sophmore at Halifax HS. Halifax is a small town along the Susquehanna about 20 miles or so above Harrisburg. I was wondering if anyone knows any decent spots where they see ducks or geese that is huntable.

I do not yet have my driver's license and my dad is not able to waterfowl hunt but he sometimes drops me off at places.

I only have a dozen goose shells, a call, and a flag but I know I'll have at least 2 dozen mallard decoys after Christmas.

I'm usually limited to hunting time, Saturdays and after school. Not much time after school though because I can only hunt one field that I've seen geese in before, but are nowhere to be found now.

Anyone know of any areas or swamps for ducks and geese around this area? Any advice on that or just tips on waterfowling is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
CPAhunter
hunter

Postby Woodywoodduck » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:46 am

HUM, You are from my area!

Can you hunt the River?

Are you limited to just Creeks and Swamps?

How Far From Halifax can you get dropped off and picked up?

Are you a Good and Safe Young hunter? If so, I might just be able to take you out on a Goose hunt a Few of us are planning to do and it isn't to far from your area, maybe about 5-10 miles.

There is an area between Halifax and Millersburg that holds ducks right along the East shore of the river.....Can't remember the Exact point, been about 2 years since I hunted up that way. if you drive along route 147, and watch the river, you will see them, There is alot of rocks and small islands in this area.
If you can check it out, you might be able to find a spot there to hunt off the shore. This area when it gets cold, holds Mallards, Blacks, Redheads and Canvasbacks. Not a bad mix to be hunting!

BIG QUESTION, How are you going to Retrieve the Ducks after you shoot them, if you hunt the river?

Have you looked into Powells Creek or Wicanisco?
Our youth are the Back Bone to hunting of the Future. Teach them WELL!
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:31 am

Powells is the ticket for early season woodies. And the game lands behind the Red rabbit is decent for geese. Especially on Dec 27th this year when all those muzzleloaders invade Haldemans Island. Do you hunt the river at all?
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby CPAhunter » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:25 pm

I can only hunt the river with other people who have boats, because I only have hip waders, no dog, no boat. I have a friend and his dad who have a boat and decoys but don't hunt a whole lot and need a kickin to get out on the water. His dad is actually the Mayor of Halifax. I also have hunted with another friend who hunts with his neighbor and his boat.

I hunted a pond for a while but I've only killed a few ducks there in October when I could take off my boots and wade through the water to retrieve them. Now this pond is frozen over. I am pretty much limited to the creeks and fields because I do not know of any swamps.

I could almost get picked up as far as Harrisburg, my dad know how much I love to hunt.

I'm a safe hunter as my dad has always hunted with me when I was younger and taught me good firearm precautions. He has trusted me the past few years to do some hunting on my own and I've been fine.

Good question about retrieving on the river....I can only get them if I'm hunting with someone who has a dog or a boat. I would most likely only be out on the river with someone else.

I've never hunted Powell's but I'm close enough to it that its definitely an option. Never looked into the Wic.

Are there still ducks on the creeks now?

Know anyone from Halifax?

Thanks a lot.
CPAhunter
hunter

Postby Woodywoodduck » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:24 am

CPAhunter wrote:Are there still ducks on the creeks now?

Almost Every Creek that has open flowing water is going to have ducks on it!

You just have to do alittle looking!

A Few of us are trying to get a Goose hunt together before duck season goes out.

We will be up in your area hunting.

Do not know exactly when yet, but we will be having a 13 year old in on it with us.....Whats another Kid? Read my Signiture line and you'll see what another kid is.

I'd be glad to let you tag along on a Few hunts, BUT ONLY After talking to your Dad and meeting you to see how you are!
PM me, and I'll give you my Phone number so your Dad can call me and we can set up a time to talk!

Merry Christmas
Our youth are the Back Bone to hunting of the Future. Teach them WELL!
Woodywoodduck
hunter

taking a kid hunting

Postby Fili » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:16 pm

very nice of you woody. :thumbsup:
Fili
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting