Hunting Jax

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Hunting Jax

Postby Wingin'it » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:57 pm

I moved down to Jacksonville in January and I am trying to figure the area out. I have been doing some scouting for "ducky" areas, but since it is still early, I have only seen some mottled ducks and 2 BWT last weekend. I have TONS of decoys ranging from diver spreads on long lines to just about any dabbling duck. Not looking for spots, just a buddy or two to go out and sling some steel with and do some scouting in the next few months with. I currently only have my Cuda but I am working on some ways to camo it up for hunting. I would like to stay away from Guana, because I hate stupid people and especially stupid people with guns, but if that is all there is, then I guess we have to work with what we have. Thanks

Cody
Wingin'it
hunter

Re: Hunting Jax

Postby Tealwemeetagain » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:19 pm

i sent you a pm
Go Noles
Tealwemeetagain
hunter

Postby FlDuckCanuck » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:21 am

WOW, So glad to find your post and happy to see that it is a new post. I am new to this website, and I am a "new" duck hunter, and have been hoping to find someone in the local Jax area looking for buddies to hunt with. Before I scare you off with the words "new hunter", please give me a couple of lines to explain.

I spent most of my childhood growing up in the woods of Canada hunting and fishing, but at a certain age things like education, job, and the other things that can distract a young man, caused me to put hunting and fishing in a lower priority... Moving forward many years, after several incidents that caused me to evaluate what is really important to me I have reconnected and translated my freshwater fishing skills into decent saltwater fishing skills, and last fall I reconnected with hunting. Admittedly my success last duck hunting season was pitiful, one day out and only one duck, still better than being skunked I suppose...

The bottom line, I know that I'm missing some gear, and I admit that I really am a "new hunter", but I'm willing to learn/help/sit second fiddle for a chance to get out. I am a cautious person, especially when it comes to guns. That was one of the thing I really liked about your original post, from what I have heard as well, Guana can be a bit of a circus, and I agree it would be best to stay away from that show!!

As a final note, my schedule for the most part is open 7 days a week, so I'm not limited to weekend only outings,
Hopefully we can connect,
Rob.
FlDuckCanuck
Newb

Postby dogyak » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:10 am

LOL , have already answer you about decoys and such on the Kayak chat . Maybe I can hook up with you and fish Guanna one day , but will tell you during duck season they call it a zoo . People don't respect you sometimes out there . Had a friend already set up and this guy comes up about 40 min's later and set up about 50 yds in front , Matt asked him if he really was going to do it and the guy yells back that hell yes cause he scouted the area . Matt was piss and moved . That's some of the things you will have to deal with .
Hey cody , do you have a dog ?
dogyak
hunter

Postby Wingin'it » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Canuck, we can always try and figure out this place together and I would be more than willing to help out as much as I can.

dogyak, yea we can definitely go out and hit up Guana one day, and no unfortunately I do not have a dog. I really do not want to deal with all the goons out there thats why I really want to find some other places in the area
Wingin'it
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:34 pm

Wingin it,

With all of the media attention that duck hunting has received lately (Duck Dynasty), you will be hard pressed to find a local area that isn't going to be a zoo in some form or fashion. With that being said, guana can get crazy at times.. .However, no matter what its still limited to 100 hunters, so if you're willing to make the effort, you can get away from other folks.

I live local, and will hunt guana fairly regularly. However, there are some pretty good spots that you can find... just make sure you don't tell anybody about them.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:37 am

Pm at you guys!!
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby Wingin'it » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:55 pm

tknight - Yes the media has created quite a frenzy. That also makes it difficult to learn new areas because people are more tight lipped (as if it wasn't already that bad :biggrin: ) about good areas. I am the same way if I find a spot, but I have heard of horror stories at Guana and since I will be hunting mainly out of a kayak I can see myself now getting buzzed by some off these "not so bright" folks that hunt there.

Chessies - Replied and will be contacting you soon!
Wingin'it
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:02 am

Just please, whatever you do, don't hunt out of a bright neon yellow or orange yak.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby Wingin'it » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:52 pm

whaknstak wrote:Just please, whatever you do, don't hunt out of a bright neon yellow or orange yak.

HAHAHA you would not have said it if you haven't seen it. And don't worry I think I will be ok in my bright red kayak :thumbsup:
Wingin'it
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Wingin'it wrote:
whaknstak wrote:Just please, whatever you do, don't hunt out of a bright neon yellow or orange yak.

HAHAHA you would not have said it if you haven't seen it. And don't worry I think I will be ok in my bright red kayak :thumbsup:

He came back to landing wondering why we all had birds he didn't kill anything.......
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting