I remember the "I Have a Dream" speech

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

I remember the "I Have a Dream" speech

Postby blackduckdog2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Probably not a lot of you guys are old enough. But I think it's worth pointing out that conservatives HATED this man, and everything he stood for. Sure, they've moderated their tone since, but I grew up among rock-ribbed New England Republicans (I won't even get into Southern conservatives, whether they were Republican or Democrats, and please feel free to point out the Southern Republicans who supported the Reverend) who despised Martin Luther King, to the point of applauding his killer. That's a legacy American consevatism has to deal with, no matter how much they've tried to spin it since
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
blackduckdog2
hunter

Re: I remember the "I Have a Dream" speech

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:45 am

I vividly remember my "I had a Dream" personal reflection. I was saying it as I was changing my underwear! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:17 am

Glimmerjim wrote:I vividly remember my "I had a Dream" personal reflection. I was saying it as I was changing my underwear! :lol3:

Glimmerjim, depends may help you with that dream :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:18 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:Probably not a lot of you guys are old enough. But I think it's worth pointing out that conservatives HATED this man, and everything he stood for. Sure, they've moderated their tone since, but I grew up among rock-ribbed New England Republicans (I won't even get into Southern conservatives, whether they were Republican or Democrats, and please feel free to point out the Southern Republicans who supported the Reverend) who despised Martin Luther King, to the point of applauding his killer. That's a legacy American consevatism has to deal with, no matter how much they've tried to spin it since

Especially that southern conservative JFK.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:20 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:Probably not a lot of you guys are old enough. But I think it's worth pointing out that conservatives HATED this man, and everything he stood for. Sure, they've moderated their tone since, but I grew up among rock-ribbed New England Republicans (I won't even get into Southern conservatives, whether they were Republican or Democrats, and please feel free to point out the Southern Republicans who supported the Reverend) who despised Martin Luther King, to the point of applauding his killer. That's a legacy American consevatism has to deal with, no matter how much they've tried to spin it since

By golly, this proves once again that liberals are just BETTER people, don't you agree?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby beretta24 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:43 am

And I dont usually assume what a dead man would be thinking of today's event, but dare I say he would be disappointed in the race baiting and how many in the black community (all democrats) have pissed away the opportunities afforded to by by a man that died for peacefully fighting against discrimination.

Hey if you can paint with a brush that's a mile wide I can too.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Andy W » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:09 am

Not many remember he was a Republican:

http://www.humanevents.com/2006/08/16/w ... epublican/
Andy W
hunter

Re: I remember the

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:27 am

beretta24 wrote:

And I dont usually assume what a dead man would be thinking of today's event, but dare I say he would be disappointed in the race baiting and how many in the black community (all democrats) have pissed away the opportunities afforded to by by a man that died for peacefully fighting against discrimination.

Hey if you can paint with a brush that's a mile wide I can too.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I have no doubt he'd be as appalled by the accusations of race baiting now as he was when the same charges were being leveled at HIM.
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:29 am

Andy W wrote:Not many remember he was a Republican:

I don't care what the party designations were, though I knew some of you would bring it up in an attempt to dodge the historical facts. Conservatives hated him, conservatives of any party. Period
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:34 am

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:36 am

assateague wrote::lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Care to show me where I'm wrong?
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:46 am

and in a little aside, I gotta point out that although me and AT hardly agree on ANYTHING in the political realm, these four smiley faces are as close as he's ever come to throwing an insult my way, for which reason I've never indulged any name calling or personally derogatory remarks back at him. Doesn't have anything to do with the content here, but I'd just like to say I appreciate it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:53 am

It would be logical for him to be a Republican. The liberals ( dems ) were the party of Jim crow and the KKK back in the day.

MLK had a dream. Today's African Americans have crushed it under a jackbooted heel of dependency and blaming others. I for one am saddened by the simple fact that their leaders work so desperately to continue creating a divide instead of working to integrate us all into one great society.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:09 am

Conservative = New England Republicans :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Your other flaw is that you had to like MLK personally to agree with what he said. This is in large part why we part ways so much. Ideas are ideas and their truthfulness is independent of who says them. A lovable person can be a moron and a prick can put forth brilliant ideas.

What little I have read about MLK is that there may have been good reason to not like him as a person. He was not a saint that is for sure. However, it is unlikely that a saint would have been successful in the world as it existed at that time. My guess is your "conservatives" were pro-establishment and all pro-establishment whether R or D was going to hate him for his open attack on the establishment, regardless of whether or not it was a just attack.

Just like you reject any affiliation with the party of slavery and segregation because even though the name did not change and the players did not change with few exceptions (Clinton's political lineage doesn't link to anti-segregationist nor Robert KKK Byrd, etc.), there is an obvious truth that Democrats of today advocate for different policies although they do seem to have the same practical impact of keeping minorities down :huh: A conservative as you refer to New England Republicans are not the same as conservatives today. Let's focus on the veracity of the ideas, but yes many of the conservative ideas were liberal ideas at that time, why would anybody reject a good idea regardless of who first advocated it nor your initial reaction to it? Only someone obsessed with such group identity and group think or never being wrong gets stuck like that.

The left has left you BDD2. It's not about ideas and finding what works in practice. It is about amassing power. Sure just like conservatives, politicians will say whatever it takes to amass power and there are many people that desire their team winning far more than they worry about the practical impact of their policies. A true conservative and a true liberal will come to the same conclusion about the truth, but simply differ in their personal value judgments. Few of them exist. It is the antithesis of human nature. We all want the home team, OUR team, to win and will ignore often blatant wrongdoing on their part if it helps them win.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:16 am

ScaupHunter wrote:

It would be logical for him to be a Republican. The liberals ( dems ) were the party of Jim crow and the KKK back in the day.

MLK had a dream. Today's African Americans have crushed it under a jackbooted heel of dependency and blaming others. I for one am saddened by the simple fact that their leaders work so desperately to continue creating a divide instead of working to integrate us all into one great society.

That's really not too far from what conservatives were saying about Martin Luther King during the sixties. They called him a self aggrandizing rabble rouser who was setting the cause of freedom and equality back by decades. They pointed to all the progress that had been made (lynchings were down) and simply could not or would not understand how outraged black America was at the time.
BTW, King was considering switching his party affiliation in his final days, but mostly because of labor issues
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:42 am

BDD2’s predictable and ridiculous attempt at rewriting history aside, I have often wondered what MLK would think about where things are today. I think he would be pleased with some things, but grossly disappointed with black culture and the race baiters such as Obama, Jackson and Sharpton who do everything in their power to separate people based upon skin color and who have enslaved the majority of black Americans with promises that these same race baiters will get even with someone on their behalf.

To listen to a guy who was elected because of his skin color, read a teleprompter and talk about content of his character, for which he has none, is so thick with irony, you could cut it with a knife.

The majority of people who talk about MLK and claim a faux support of his ideals, are complete frauds who are interested in nothing but skin color and care nothing of hard work, ethics, integrity and the content of one’s character.

The dream may not be dead, but it is on life support. Thanks to black leaders who have no content of character, and the useful white idiots who follow along and the evil white people who know how to play along for their own benefit.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:47 am

Rat Creek wrote:BDD2’s predictable and ridiculous attempt at rewriting history aside, I have often wondered what MLK would think about where things are today. I think he would be pleased with some things, but grossly disappointed with black culture and the race baiters such as Obama, Jackson and Sharpton who do everything in their power to separate people based upon skin color and who have enslaved the majority of black Americans with promises that these same race baiters will get even with someone on their behalf.

To listen to a guy who was elected because of his skin color, read a teleprompter and talk about content of his character, for which he has none, is so thick with irony, you could cut it with a knife.

The majority of people who talk about MLK and claim a faux support of his ideals, are complete frauds who are interested in nothing but skin color and care nothing of hard work, ethics, integrity and the content of one’s character.

The dream may not be dead, but it is on life support. Thanks to black leaders who have no content of character, and the useful white idiots who follow along and the evil white people who know how to play along for their own benefit.

Show me what I'm "re-writing", Rat, or shut up.
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:51 am

Pegging contemporary conservatives with that is like pegging contemporary Democrats with segregation. You know better.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:53 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:

Those laughs were because I pictured you waiting, fingers poised above the keyboard, to rebut the "MLK was a Repup" comment. And then it finally happened. :lol3:
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:54 am

WTN10 wrote:

Pegging contemporary conservatives with that is like pegging contemporary Democrats with segregation. You know better.

Let's leave the parties out of it, WTN10, OK? Conservatives despised the man, of whatever party, as I pointed out. Why did they do so?
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:55 am

The short answer is "because they didn't like black people".
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:01 am

assateague wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:

Those laughs were because I pictured you waiting, fingers poised above the keyboard, to rebut the "MLK was a Repup" comment. And then it finally happened. :lol3:

nice anticipation......... you'da made a great 3rd down linebacker
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:04 am

assateague wrote:The short answer is "because they didn't like black people".

I'm surprised at how little conservatives around here want to embrace the defining characteristic of their philosophy. To wit, skepticism, or outright rejection, of change. It's good and bad, but not if you only can see the one side of it. Then it's just bad
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:09 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
WTN10 wrote:

Let's leave the parties out of it, WTN10, OK? Conservatives despised the man, of whatever party, as I pointed out. Why did they do so?

I didn't bring political parties into your analysis, I made an analogy that mentioned a political party. A political party is merely a group, like conservatives are a group. The fact still remains that you're trying to peg one contemporary group with the mistakes of a past contemporary group whom you've linked together because they share the same name. Yet, you will vocally protest the exact same thing being done to another contemporary group of people whom you favor. It's just hypocrisy is all; political parties being in or out have nothing to do with it. What matters is the treatment (charitable or otherwise) of the two groups of people, one whom you don't like, and one whom you do. In one case, you think it's cute to do that which you will condemn in the other.

People's political beliefs are often multifaceted. While it's convenient to apply labels to people like "conservative" or "liberal" or "Republican" or "Democrat," those labels only serve to provide a general idea as to what those people think. I myself am extremely conservative. Because I'm extremely conservative though, I oppose the Drug War, DOMA, Don't Ask Don't Tell, Obamacare, The Fed, the Banking Bailout, the Auto Bailout, war with Syria, and a litany of other things.

If you go through that list, there's a lot of things I have in common with liberals. We believe those things for different reasons though. My political beliefs are just as complicated as the next person's and I'm willing to bet there's tens of thousands of ignorant Republicans and self-described conservatives who would call me a "moderate" or a "liberal" as a result of what I think. Yet, I think I'm far from either of those labels.

What you're doing is irrational and wrong. The fact that you bitch every time some schmoe points out that the Democrats were the party of segregation just makes it all the more lamentable.
2014 Season Totals:
WTN10
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:09 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
assateague wrote:The short answer is "because they didn't like black people".

I'm surprised at how little conservatives around here want to embrace the defining characteristic of their philosophy. To wit, skepticism, or outright rejection, of change. It's good and bad, but not if you only can see the one side of it. Then it's just bad

Is that broad brush you're painting with heavy? Do you need help holding it?
2014 Season Totals:
WTN10
hunter

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum