What species to expect in southern Maine?

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

What species to expect in southern Maine?

Postby uplandguy1100 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:54 pm

I'm new to duck hunting, and I was wondering what species I should expect to see in southern Maine.
I'm hunting Inland in a river and a maybe a small pond.
All I've ever seen is mallards and woodies, I've seen common and hooded mergansers on square but I'm hunting like 30 minutes away from square.

and do we have alot of coots in Maine?
uplandguy1100
hunter

Re: What species to expect in southern Maine?

Postby 733SubDucker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:26 am

OK. At least you asked. Make sure you get a waterfowl guide book. You can even find these online. Get out there and try to start identifying ducks now, even at a local park. Learn how different ducks fly.

In early season, you will see Wood Ducks and Teal (Green Wing / Blue Wing) BW Teal are the first to leave.

Throughout the season you will mostly encounter Mallards and Black Ducks. Ring Necks are a possibility for you as well. You will see plenty of Mergansers (lawndarts, lizards) as well. Some people enjoy shooting them and with significant effort they are palletable, but many avoid them.

Of course there are many more infrequent species including: Pintail, Shoveler, Widgeon, Scaup, etc... And certainly you would see sea ducks at the coast.

Remember that birds will be in "eclipse" plumage early in the season.

Your biggest concern will be to only shoot 1 Black Duck! They are very common in Maine but their overall numbers are well below long term average, hence the low limit.

This process will be fun!!! Its not hard when you get the hang of it. Good luck!
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:59 am

733SubDucker wrote:OK. At least you asked. Make sure you get a waterfowl guide book. You can even find these online. Get out there and try to start identifying ducks now, even at a local park. Learn how different ducks fly.

In early season, you will see Wood Ducks and Teal (Green Wing / Blue Wing) BW Teal are the first to leave.

Throughout the season you will mostly encounter Mallards and Black Ducks. Ring Necks are a possibility for you as well. You will see plenty of Mergansers (lawndarts, lizards) as well. Some people enjoy shooting them and with significant effort they are palletable, but many avoid them.

Of course there are many more infrequent species including: Pintail, Shoveler, Widgeon, Scaup, etc... And certainly you would see sea ducks at the coast.

Remember that birds will be in "eclipse" plumage early in the season.

Your biggest concern will be to only shoot 1 Black Duck! They are very common in Maine but their overall numbers are well below long term average, hence the low limit.

This process will be fun!!! Its not hard when you get the hang of it. Good luck!

:thumbsup: Good Answer. The Lincoln area doesn't have the numbers of Goldeneyes that it once did years ago, but that's a species that you may run into later in the season as well- particularly on moving water. Perhaps you know your ducks well, but if not- I can recommend the following: The Lemaster Method- Waterfowl Identification By: Richard Lemaster It's a solid little handbook that has helped me a lot.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:07 am

733SubDucker
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:17 pm

If your talking about square and being 30 minutes away, send me a pm! It sounds like u may be wandering into my area :lol3: haha but when I first started, I learned that the most common duck Los that you will see are woodies and mallards. Practice identifying on the wing, notice how different ducks fly, like how woodies will usually just dive bomb into a spot, where as mallards may circle, send me a pm btw!
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby loudnerd » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Also you want to be able to identify that ducks that you shouldn't shoot like the pied billed grebe. I think we get one new hunter on here every year that shoots a duck they can't identify that ends up being a grebe.
He who laughs last didn't get it.
loudnerd
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:36 pm

loudnerd wrote:Also you want to be able to identify that ducks that you shouldn't shoot like the pied billed grebe. I think we get one new hunter on here every year that shoots a duck they can't identify that ends up being a grebe.

One guy even posted a 'hero shot' with a Grebe. :no:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby loudnerd » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:39 pm

I remember that hahah. I had a loon buzz my spread when I first started and I'm so glad I didn't take that shot haha. If your not sure it's not worth it and your IDing skills will get better just like everything else.
He who laughs last didn't get it.
loudnerd
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting