Anyone ever gone crane hunting?

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Anyone ever gone crane hunting?

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:01 pm

I'm always up for trying new things I figure I would give it a go since I'm in the zone or atleast very close to the crane zone. Has anyone ever gone before? Is it decoy hunting or do most people get them incidentally when their out goose hunting?

I probably won't have the money to invest in a spread for cranes unless you only need a very small amount. I dunno maybe I could try stalking some but it's so flat and open up here that might be impossible.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Re: Anyone ever gone crane hunting?

Postby 18javelin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:18 pm

Killed some flyers in canada but didn't set up for them.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:25 am

from what I hear there kinda of a pass shooting bird.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:41 am

We got a season here in ky two years ago. I got permission on a place that was right next to one of the biggest roost sites in the state. We put out a dozen sock decoys and a half dozen silhouettes made out of plywood. Had zero luck. The next year we just setup in the fence row and waited for them to hop the fence into the field we hunted. That was much more productive. We hunted two day both seasons the first year decoying we got a shot at one bird and killed zero. The second season we hunted two days and killed 6 birds.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:46 am

Okay so location is going to be key it sounds like. Cool thanks.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:09 am

By the way best wild game I have ever eaten. Would take it over any steak any day. I killed one the first day we went last year and thought its not worth giving up a day of duck hunting to go back for one bird. After eating it I decided it was well worth the trouble to kill my second bird. We should have had more but my gun and one other guys gun jammed opening day or I would have had two and he would have as well. The second day we went was last day of season and they were skirting around us didn't get a shot until the big group got up and moved couple thousand birds picked up and a few flew close enough for shots and we dropped two. Worst part about the second day is a couple hundred had walked up to about 30 yards on the other side of the fence we were sitting on. If we could hunt there it would have been great but sitting there listening to them at 30 yards for close to 3 hours to get a couple shots was testing my patience.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:26 pm

I would love to go after sandhill crane. We had a pair of them circle our canada goose spread last year during early season and they make the weirdest noise! I've heard they are the "ribeye in the sky", which was confirmed by the previous post. It's just too long of a drive to the NW zone for me. Someday....

Sandhill cranes can be shot in numbers with cheap permits in many other states, I wonder why MN has such tough restrictions on them?
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:32 pm

I think I read somewhere there are two populations in MN. The western subspecies which you can hunt in the NW Zone are more common species, and the eastern subspecies in the rest of the state aren't as common, thus the reason for not having a season on them. There seem to be alot more cranes all over compared to when I was a kid. When I was real young seeing a sandhill crane was very rare, now it seems they are common almost everywhere.

Nebraska has a tons of sandhill cranes and you can't hunt them at anytime over there. Not sure why.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Ky was the first state to have a season on the eastern population. I believe Tennessee got theirs thru this year so they will be second.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:37 pm

EDIT: Nevermind...
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:24 am

I see em every year in ND but havent hunted them hard. The seem pretty wary.
beretta24
State Moderator

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting