Speck Decoys Helpful?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker

Speck Decoys Helpful?

Postby jscheirer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:36 pm

I hunt in Central Illinois and usually we have alot of specks in the area. We just leased a pit and have enough canada goose decoys and a few mallard full bodies (I think we'll be shooting mostly ducks anyway). But recently I was told that we should definitely look into getting speck decoys. One man said that he runs more specks than canadas in the area. If anyone is familiar with the area they might have some good advice. Thanks for anyone who has input.
jscheirer
hunter

Re: Speck Decoys Helpful?

Postby fulldraw85 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:22 am

It definately wouldnt hurt to have a half dz to a dozen specks off to the side of the spread.
fulldraw85
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:13 pm

I figured it wouldn't be bad. Would it also be helpful to try and get a few dozen snow goose decoys to mix in with the specks to decoy them specificially? Thanks
jscheirer
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:40 pm

In my travels in Arkansas I get to see millions of specks and many millions of snows.
My observation is that specks do not mix up with other geese. Specks tend to use separate fields away from snow geese.
I would NOT use speck decoys with snows.
Bad idea.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby hunter1967 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:16 am

As far as what i have observed in Central Illinois...they do mix together...drive by Double T and they are together all the time. During the Conservation snow goose season we had specks all over us..one group was 1000+ ..have video of that..it was awesome. As far as a set up to hunt them..we've had our best luck with 11 feeders decoys..but we did buy 3 doz more this year to handle the larger groups we see. Specks will come in and check you out if the flock is not too big or if you have singles without having speck decoys out. As long as you're calling and talking to them..they should get close enough to shoot. And no matter what anybody says..they DO decoy extremely well. All of our kills were under 20 yds. They usually will circle quite a few times but don't give up calling to them to quick. We had a group of 80 on us a few years back and worked them down until about a 1/3 of them landed 30 yds from our farthest decoy..but like snows...they are a little greedy so the next group landed closer...then closer..then the last one landed right in front of us. It was really cool to see. Good luck! btw...great eating bird too!!
hunter1967
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:32 pm

Thanks for all the information gentlemen. I have plenty of Canada decoys at the moment and might add a dzn specks before season. But I did pick up a call and am practicing on it before I go out hunting. I'm anxious to see how this season goes in the new area that's for sure
jscheirer
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting