Flight patterns

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Flight patterns

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:47 am

Looking for some feedback from everyone.. I was wondering how far waterfowl would travel from a roost to feed? What are y'all's opinions? Say birds are roosting on a lake and I hunt private land around 10 miles away, could I be killing birds that are roosting on the lake? Or could the birds I'm killing be roosting on ponds nearby my hole? Prolly a simple answer I have never really found one though nor have I thought about it till recently.....
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Re: Flight patterns

Postby :-) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:47 pm

10, 20, or even 30 miles is nothing for a duck...just depends on what's between you and the roost, and how much hunting pressure is in the area.

Happy hunting...shoot a couple Mallards for me this year!
:-)
hunter

Re: Flight patterns

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:47 am

:-) wrote:10, 20, or even 30 miles is nothing for a duck...just depends on what's between you and the roost, and how much hunting pressure is in the area.

Happy hunting...shoot a couple Mallards for me this year!

Sweet! I've always wondered where the birds we kill are roosting. Just starting thinking about it being the lake but wasn't sure how far they would fly in the am.. Ill do my best to kill some green heads! We killed some last year. I'm hoping we have a super cold winter and it pushes more down this season! Good luck to you to bud!
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting