snow goose dekes along with canadas (MI)

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

snow goose dekes along with canadas (MI)

Postby cdycam32 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:05 pm

We do a decent amount of goose hunting in the Grand Rapids area of Michigan. There is quite a bit of competition around here so we are always looking for an edge. I heard from someone about running a couple snows in your Canada goose spread ( 99% of all the geese here are canadas) can help groups pick you out better in fields and have the one thing different that all the rest of the spreads don't have. I don't know if this would be effective because of my location and depending on time of year. Opinions?
cdycam32
hunter

Re: snow goose dekes along with canadas (MI)

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:43 pm

Here in Oklahoma snows are always mixed in with the large group of lessers. However i have heard that snows and greaters dont really get along too well.
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:02 am

Im just south of you man and we see maybe 1-5 snows a year if were lucky. I use snows when the birds are coming down. I have 6 snow goose dekes and they will definitely give you that edge. If you are interested I have 6 full body snow goose decoys that I want to get rid of or a few of because I rarely put them all out. I started doing this about 6 years ago when I started seeing them show up with canadas and I think it works. Try it and let me know how it goes.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby bobalong » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:23 pm

The area I hunt the snows and Canada's mix all the time. We usually put the snows to one side a bit if there is not a lot in the field but you can see from the pics you can just mix them in. The snows usually don't show up around here until the first week of October or so.
bobalong
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum