Spinning Wing Decoy

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Spinning Wing Decoy

Postby Legband#1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:48 pm

California looked at eliminating the use of spinning wing decoys this year , I know where I stand on there use , but I'm curious as to what the majority of waterfowlers think , What are your thoughts on the use of Spinning Wings Decoys
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Re: Spinning Wing Decoy

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:09 pm

I'd favor a federal ban on all electronics, but as long as their legal, I'll use them for some applications.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:14 pm

Wouldn't hunt without them.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby :-) » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:05 pm

I just ordered several more wonderduck's today, and don't think it would be right for any state to ban them. Heck, I'm still tryin to figure out why we can only have 3 bullets in our gun...if you obey the law and don't go over the limit whats it hurt?
:-)
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:52 pm

They have their place...... Majority of the time I'm against them.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:18 pm

I wouldn't mind if they outlawed them. Only do us good during teal season but other than that I have hardly any use for them.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:34 am

It'd really seperate the men from the boys. Show who's calling is better along with decoy's looks and how they are set. Anyone else agree?
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:40 am

Black Smoke wrote:It'd really seperate the men from the boys. Show who's calling is better along with decoy's looks and how they are set. Anyone else agree?

I am 50/50. Even if electronic spinners were banned, wind spinning decoys are as effective. There will always be an alternative. But, I do partially agree with you that good calling is as effective as electronic spinners. I have lost plenty of working flocks to a further field with better calling.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:31 am

I kill my spinner for big ducks because there are too many I'm unable to call back around after they push off it. So I'm thinking that success with one running could also be a demonstration of superior calling skills, at least superior to mine.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Steel Shot » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:10 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:I wouldn't mind if they outlawed them. Only do us good during teal season but other than that I have hardly any use for them.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

x2
Steel Shot
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:37 pm

Some days I've seen them work wonders. Some days I've seen ducks avoid 'em like the plague. This season will I use one, and adjust accordingly? You bet.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:08 pm

There Truly are a number of adjustments that have to be made for consistent success with spinning wings , that's why most guys think there are times they don't work , we finish birds to the water through the whole season with them , but like most things in Waterfowling there are many contingencies.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:32 pm

Why would a hunter be in favor of banning motion decoys?

What's next...ban duck calls because not everyone can call?

Or maybe we should ban 3 1/2" shotgun shells...I don't have any use for them, and they kick too hard!

Yep, and some of these new decoys are too realistic...they should go also!
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:39 pm

I don't have a problem with them. Like others have said they make wind versions and pullstring versions that people will still be able to use.
If they ban spinning wings should they not ban all the other electronic motion decoys? There are a lot of different electronic decoys out there these days from th eremnote controlled decoy to the onse that run on what is basically an electronic jerk line.
As long as people stay within their bag limits whats the harm?
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby koehlec » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:50 pm

i hunt where you can use mojos etc., but i still use winduks, they are wind driven decoys, they make no sound at all, takes very little wind to run (3mph), and they are made like a weather vane so they will adjust to wind directions unlike mojos and others that are in a fixed position
koehlec
Newb

Postby brickgw » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:24 pm

I wouldn't ban them entirely but the crap gets ridiculous when I show up on state ground and see guys with tornado rotary machines with 3 spinners on them and another half a dozen electronic doodads littered throughout their spread.
brickgw
hunter

Postby Willie » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:29 pm

I'll deploy 3-5 mojo's at various heights in the early seasons, but don't usually put them out later in the year.
Willie
hunter

Postby :-) » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:43 pm

brickgw wrote:I wouldn't ban them entirely but the crap gets ridiculous when I show up on state ground and see guys with tornado rotary machines with 3 spinners on them and another half a dozen electronic doodads littered throughout their spread.

Do you think there should be a limit to the number of motion decoys? Key word is "motion" not electronic, wind, or man powered

That's a road none of us should want to go down...once we start fighting each other on petty issues the bad guy wins, and there's possible happy ending. We'll all be standing around talking about the good ole days back when we could hunt.

If you're allowed 6 ducks per day it don't matter how many Mojo's, Lucky's, or WonderDucks someone is using. If they are pulling in all the ducks just wait until they're finish then you can have your turn, or you could go spend a few hundred $$$ and join in on the action.
hunter

Postby Willie » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:59 pm

:-) wrote:
brickgw wrote:I wouldn't ban them entirely but the crap gets ridiculous when I show up on state ground and see guys with tornado rotary machines with 3 spinners on them and another half a dozen electronic doodads littered throughout their spread.

Do you think there should be a limit to the number of motion decoys? Key word is "motion" not electronic, wind, or man powered

That's a road none of us should want to go down...once we start fighting each other on petty issues the bad guy wins, and there's possible happy ending. We'll all be standing around talking about the good ole days back when we could hunt.

If you're allowed 6 ducks per day it don't matter how many Mojo's, Lucky's, or WonderDucks someone is using. If they are pulling in all the ducks just wait until they're finish then you can have your turn, or you could go spend a few hundred $$$ and join in on the action.

Smilie, you're giving way too much credit to the effectiveness of spinners. They're not that great.
Willie
hunter

Postby :-) » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:15 pm

If they aren't effective why are there so many haters out there?
They work for me, but I also hunt areas that aren't over hunted.

With that said, you missed my point. There are groups out there that would love nothing more than to ban hunting, and I think that the ban it cause I don't like em attitude just gives them ammunition.

We are all hunters, and we should be trying to stick together to prevent stupid rules and laws from taking over our sport...even if we don't agree 100%.

It happens all the time...people hated seeing airboats in WMA's and they were banned, and now they're coming after your mud motor's with HP restrictions. Next thing you know they will all be banned, and next will be outboards. It's a never ending battle.

I'm over my rant...just my $.02.
hunter

Postby Willie » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:25 pm

:-) wrote:If they aren't effective why are there so many haters out there?
They work for me, but I also hunt areas that aren't over hunted.

With that said, you missed my point. There are groups out there that would love nothing more than to ban hunting, and I think that the ban it cause I don't like em attitude just gives them ammunition.

We are all hunters, and we should be trying to stick together to prevent stupid rules and laws from taking over our sport...even if we don't agree 100%.

It happens all the time...people hated seeing airboats in WMA's and they were banned, and now they're coming after your mud motor's with HP restrictions. Next thing you know they will all be banned, and next will be outboards. It's a never ending battle.

I'm over my rant...just my $.02.

You are extremely paranoid.
Willie
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:20 pm

If they want to ban them lets ban the semi-auto shotgun. Heavy shot, Plastic decoys or those big outboard motors. How about the GPS's that are used to return to a location. :crying: :crying:
Live with it this is the YEAR 2013 ......Not 1910 .....
THINGS CHANGE.... :yes:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby :-) » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:32 pm

“Living is Easy with Eyes Closed.”
― John Lennon
hunter

Postby brickgw » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:12 am

:-) wrote:

I've yet to find a situation where I've thought "Boy, if we hadn't put that roboduck out we wouldn't have shot all these ducks." but I'm sure others have. Personally I think a lot of hunters are quick to attribute a good shoot to things that are actually pretty trivial...like a robo duck. If you've had a great hunt chances are you're just in the right spot and would've done just as good regardless...or maybe you just got lucky that day.

In the case I mentioned earlier the guys with the Barnum and Bailey mojo spread flared more birds than they killed. I don't think spinners are a terrible thing to use but there is a such thing as too much.
brickgw
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:46 pm

At the end of the day, if it's legal, who cares what anyone else's opinion is but you and your hunting buddies? You can't very well be mad at someone a few hundred yards away from you for doing something 100% legal; even if you think it doesn't kill many ducks.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum