shotgun wont cycle

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

shotgun wont cycle

Postby RedneckDuckCommander » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:34 am

i have a semi Auto h&r i believe it's the 1182. it won't cycle any
loads. was told i could buy a weaker buffer spring
but haven't been able to find any. where can i find
one? or is there a way to weaken mine?
RedneckDuckCommander
hunter

Re: shotgun wont cycle

Postby A5Mag12 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:30 pm

I really doubt that's your problem. You need to let someone other than the guy that told you that have a look at your gun. If you don't know someone that knows a little about guns then you need to see a gunsmith.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:49 pm

wont cycle..... well what exaclty does it do? when was the last time you cleaned it thoroughly? something broken?
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby RedneckDuckCommander » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:19 pm

you can hear the action move and it closes with out ever having ejected the shell. its cleaned and lubed regularly. i have read that the recoil spring is to stiff and needs to be weakened.
RedneckDuckCommander
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:03 pm

Have you shot any heavy field loads thru it?

Sometimes, not all, a semi-auto needs a couple of boxes of heavy loads, the largest the chamber will handle, IE: 3" if it is a 3" gun and so on, to wear everything in and mate the pieces. They may look finished when they are torn down and cleaned, but may have some slight burrs that the heavy loads help remove.

I bought a shotgun locally that the original owner claimed was defective, store wouldn't give him his money back, manufacture took it in and "repaired" it, and still he could not get it to run. I bought it for less than half of what he paid, ran 2 boxes of the cheapest 3" duck loads I could find thru it. First 10rds, 3 FTE, second 10rds, 1 FTE, remainder of the 2 boxes, not one FTE. The gun has never had another 3" load in it and routinely shoots 7/8oz loads all day with out a hiccup. Point is, don't rush to give up on it, one of the best guns I have, made me see cross-eyed for a couple of months until it finally broke in.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby RedneckDuckCommander » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:13 pm

i am by no means giving up on it. just be nice if it cycled. i just look at it as being a semiauto pump. just wondering if there is a weaker spring to try?
RedneckDuckCommander
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:17 am

It would really help if you would tell us exactly which shotgun you have and exactly what it won't do.
z51
hunter

Postby StevenL » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 am

sounds to me as though the extractor claw may be at fault
just my two cents
StevenL
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:37 pm

Is the o-ring on correctly and in good condition? I believe your gun is an orphan and no longer imported. I would cautious about altering parts.
z51
hunter

Postby RedneckDuckCommander » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:19 pm

yes it is. They still make the gun H&R is part of Remington. Its an Excell Auto. made by H&R 1871
RedneckDuckCommander
hunter

Postby StevenL » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:23 pm

RedneckDuckCommander wrote:you can hear the action move and it closes with out ever having ejected the shell. its cleaned and lubed regularly. i have read that the recoil spring is to stiff and needs to be weakened.

You said the shotgun wouldn't cycle any load
so if you cycle the bolt by hand will it extract and eject a cartridge?
StevenL
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:42 pm

RedneckDuckCommander wrote:yes it is. They still make the gun H&R is part of Remington. Its an Excell Auto. made by H&R 1871

The gun was made in Turkey by Sarsilmaz. I don't believe it is currently being imported.
z51
hunter

Postby RedneckDuckCommander » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:31 pm

yes if I cycle it by hand it will extract and eject.
RedneckDuckCommander
hunter

Postby StevenL » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:00 pm

all right then, next question: have you made sure the gas ports in the cylinder underneath the barrel are clear of debris or propellant residue? If you don't have an owner's manual, follow the link http://www.hr1871.com/documents/manuals ... l-Auto.pdf
make sure the shotgun isn't missing any parts shown in the manual and that it has been reassembled properly after inspection
Honestly, I don't believe a weaker spring is the answer
StevenL
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:55 am

Have you broke it down and removed the recoil spring to clean the recoil spring tube? these get rusty and cause poor or no cycling at all. You might even find it is gummed up from over oiling or grime just built up in the tube causing the issues.

When did it stop cycling?

did you buy it new or used?
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby RedneckDuckCommander » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:51 am

waterfowlhunter- i bought it used a few years back. it never cycled loads. yes i have broken it down and cleaned the recoil tube.

steve- thanks for the pdf link. i took it apart and all the parts were there. there was an o-ring of some sort blocking part of the gas vent. it was put back into its rightful place. i am headed out in a little bit and will let you know how it goes.

I appreciate all the help. sorry for the confusion about the gun and what the parts are called. i am by no means a gun smith but i do know hoe to break them down and clean 'em up.
RedneckDuckCommander
hunter

Postby RedneckDuckCommander » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:16 pm

ok so it will cycle 1 1/8oz loads and above now. thanks for the help.
RedneckDuckCommander
hunter

Postby StevenL » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:56 am

thanks for sharing the good news
StevenL
hunter

Postby RedneckDuckCommander » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:08 pm

Steven- thanks for the pdf that helped out a lot. i wouldnt have ever thought to look at the retaining ring under the barrel.
RedneckDuckCommander
hunter

Postby StevenL » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks go to you, Sir. Taking time to examine the issue(s) at hand and acting upon what you know as fact will almost always turn the process of resolving a problem in your favor. You had the good sense to do so on your own accord. In viewing your profile I could not help but notice your claimed profession and that your age in years is but twenty nine. I’ve been a professional machinist almost two times longer than you have been alive, but that’s not the point. The point is that you had the wherewithal to look at a diagram none too different from the one’s you see every day in the course of your employment as a machinist; except the pdf link I sent might as well have been drawn on a cocktail napkin by an inventor with way too much Absinthe in his blood. Sports store gunsmiths are no different than Monday morning quarterbacks or talking heads in mainstream media. In our trade, to assume anything makes an ass of u and me; a thousandth of an inch might as well be a mile when close is closer; and there is no fine line to separate right from wrong.
I’m as proud of your accomplishment in this instance as I am your choice of profession. Keep on keeping on young man; you’re bound to do well.

"You ain't bragging if you can do it." Dizzy Dean
StevenL
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum