Gonna Give it a Try

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Gonna Give it a Try

Postby goosetalk » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:32 pm

The Missouri Canada goose season is going to reopen the day after Thanksgiving so I am going to try to dry field hunt for ducks and geese. I have about 4 doz old floaters converted for field hunting, 220 Canada dekes (full bodies, shells, and silos) and atleast a 100, maybe 150 snow rags. What is the best way to set up in this situation. I tried to find an answer in other posts but have found mix answers. Should the ducks and snow geese both be up wind of the Canadas or should the ducks be downwind of the Canadas. Any info and opinions would help. Thanks
goosetalk
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:41 pm

I would put the ducks up wind and then put the snow geese probably atleast 60 or so yards up wind of that. But who really knows, I saw a field today with 10k mallard and 10k snow geese and another couple of hundred honkers and feeding together. So good luck with it.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby Boomn4x4 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:33 am

I would put the the ducks in a blob down wind of me, and the geese is a "V" or "U" upwind of me.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:11 am

If you put the duck decoys downwind of you they will shortstop you. I would recomend putting them behind you. Take it from experience.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:19 am

:withstupid:

I like having most of the dekes upwind of me, with a few right around me. I don't know if you even need duck dekes. We've been getting ducks in without any duck decoys out.

In early goose season while ducks were closed we had 6 ducks land in our goose dekes less than 10 feet from one of our layouts!!
harvey1b
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting