College student- Can i get resident liscense?

A place to share stories, tips and reports on Nebraska duck hunting.

Moderators: Duck Runner, gotduck68415, k9horseluvr

College student- Can i get resident liscense?

Postby BEDB » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm from Illinois and am currently enrolled at UNL for my first year. I was wondering if anyone knows if i can get a resident hunting license? I know my buddy that goes to Kentucky and lives in Illinois can. Thanks.
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Re: College student- Can i get resident liscense?

Postby YouMadBra » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Best bet would just be to call the Nebraska Game and Parks and ask. I'm not sure if you would be allowed to or not. (402-471-0641 Is their number)
TD Outfitters
Central, NE

Why cant it be Waterfowl season all year long?!!
YouMadBra
hunter

Postby BEDB » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:29 pm

Just called and yes I can get a resident license after 30 days assuming I don't have any other resident hunting licenses in other states. Unfortunately I already have my resident license in IL. Maybe next year.
Flocked Wear Field Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby sharris » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:46 am

I think you can voluntarily give up your IL license if you want to get a resident NE license. Just call IL game and fish and ask what you need to do. There is a lot of public hunting ground available that is published in the public access atlas. It can get pretty crowded on weekends, so try to set up your class schedule with some free time during the week. Enjoy your time at UNL.
sharris
hunter

Postby sws002 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:50 pm

BEDB wrote:Just called and yes I can get a resident license after 30 days assuming I don't have any other resident hunting licenses in other states. Unfortunately I already have my resident license in IL. Maybe next year.

You may want to call back and clarify this with them, as I don't think it's right. Full time students are allowed to purchase resident licenses, all you have to do is be able to prove you are a full-time student. There's no reason you would have to claim to be a nonresident in your home state during that time. If it is feasible, go down to the Game and Parks office to ask your question, get someone who knows what the hell they are talking about. Take me, for example, I have a lifetime hunting and fishing permit in Nebraska, am I not allowed to buy a resident permit in any other states either?
sws002
hunter

Postby BEDB » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:48 pm

sws002 wrote:
BEDB wrote:Just called and yes I can get a resident license after 30 days assuming I don't have any other resident hunting licenses in other states. Unfortunately I already have my resident license in IL. Maybe next year.

You may want to call back and clarify this with them, as I don't think it's right. Full time students are allowed to purchase resident licenses, all you have to do is be able to prove you are a full-time student. There's no reason you would have to claim to be a nonresident in your home state during that time. If it is feasible, go down to the Game and Parks office to ask your question, get someone who knows what the hell they are talking about. Take me, for example, I have a lifetime hunting and fishing permit in Nebraska, am I not allowed to buy a resident permit in any other states either?

I mean it would make sense that you can only have one resident license but I thought maybe there was an exception for students. Ill have to look into it
Flocked Wear Field Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby LanceM » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:16 am

Sorry I'm a little late on the post. I'm a non-resident student from MO and haven't had any issues with getting resident Nebraska permit, even with resident MO permit as well. I was told as long as I was a full time student there's no issue. Hope this helps.
LanceM
hunter

Postby chrisss » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:38 pm

I'm from MN and have a resident license and go to school full time in Wi and also have a resident license. I called dnr before hand and they said as long as you are full time you can get resident
chrisss
hunter

Postby BEDB » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:38 pm

did you guys have to an id proving you lived in that state for so long?
Flocked Wear Field Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Return to Nebraska Duck Hunting