Be Careful...

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: Be Careful...

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:43 am

thank you swampy...and for the record this person likes mods...without them a forum becomes a breeding ground for spammers and worse. not a fun job at times but someone has to do it.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Edge » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:58 am

Well, bye. :clapping:
Edge
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:20 pm

Corncob left behind some butthurt that just won't quit.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby SoupSandwich99 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:32 pm

Jimmy, very sorry for your loss. I am working on my first retriever, and he is a part of the family. I don't know what I would do if something happened to him. If it is any comfort, it appears to me that your dog went out doing something he loved with someone he loved.

I am very lucky to have a training mentor who has a lot of experience in the dog games and who is basically a professional risk manager. He has drilled into my head that I have to be the brains of our outfit, because all my dog wants to do is retrieve. So, to the extent that the above is true, I hope we all learned a lesson from the gut-wrenching experience that Jimmy had the wherewithal to post for the world to see.

To the extent that we are all doing things like hunting our dogs where they may be killed by a wolf pack or taking a dog on a dove shoot when it is 102 degrees, maybe we want to think long and hard about what we say about it. Given karma's tendency to be what she is, I can only hope that she did not take notice of corny's statement that he never had a dog succumb to the heat and never will. If only because I don't want the poor dog to suffer.

That said, your dog's tongue and eyes will tell the story most of the time. When the tongue gets wide and flat, and particularly if it starts to curl up on the end, your dog is getting hot. If you notice the eyes getting red, the dog needs to be cooled off ASAP. You can do this with cool water, particularly on the underside, and the pads of the feet. I keep rubbing alcohol with me because it evaporates faster and thus cools faster. If you are doing either of these things, a vet visit is needed ASAP, because you can actually cool the dog too much too fast and really cause some problems.

Remember too that humidity has at least as much to do with this process as the heat itself, and I stay concerned about this in Alabama where I live. When the dog is panting, the breath coming out is essentially at 100% humidity. The more humid the outside air, the more difficult it is for the evaporative cooling process to work, so heat builds up more quickly.

I am fortunate to have a stainless dog box with a fan and water, so I have some things with me at all times. It is the very rare occasion when the temperature is over 60 degrees that I do not have ice with me. If I expect it to be over 80, I will likely have several frozen water bottles with me to give water from and to cool down in a hurry if it gets to that point, God forbid. I have yet to need them, and I have been laughed at several times, but then again I won't need them until I need them.

Again, Jimmy, sorry about your loss, and thank you for having the courage to post this here.
SoupSandwich99
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:03 pm

dogs that are fed dry kibble foods are probably mildly dehydrated most of the time. I don't feed my dogs kibble often but when I do their water intake increases dramatically, the kibble takes more moisture out of the body to process.

My point is this. If you are going to be hunting with you dog in warmer temps I would at least feed canned dog food a few days before the hunt to give your dog a better chance at maximum hydration.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:12 pm

Or water.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ladder63ff » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:33 am

sorry for your lose,, never easy. hes up in heaven chasing ducks
ladder63ff
Newb

Postby Bluesky2012 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:19 am

Not trying to bring this thread back, but is there anyway we can make a thread about dogs and heat a sticky for the forum? I see one about hypothermia, but I think we should list temperature concerns, signs, symptoms, prevention, etc out there so that as everyone starts moving towards dove season in a few months and even with summer training they are better prepared. This is always a big concern of mine.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon May 19, 2014 8:31 am

Bluesky2012 wrote:Not trying to bring this thread back, but is there anyway we can make a thread about dogs and heat a sticky for the forum? I see one about hypothermia, but I think we should list temperature concerns, signs, symptoms, prevention, etc out there so that as everyone starts moving towards dove season in a few months and even with summer training they are better prepared. This is always a big concern of mine.

We can do that. I'd likely vote to remove the censored sticky as it's available under smilies anyway.

Just need the content. Know of more dogs suffering heat than cold anyway.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum