Teal Season

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Teal Season

Postby wplecompte » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Hello all I am stuck at work till the 2nd week of the season.Anybody starting to see some teal yet.You don,t have to say where they are just if they started showing up yet. Thanks Wayne
a duck hunting fool who has too many guns
wplecompte
hunter

Re: Teal Season

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:10 pm

Couple days ago in Klondike:

[/quote]
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Lawelch » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Geez!!! I wish the teal would show up like there here!!
Lawelch
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:24 pm

Well, I was at our hunting area near Gueydan every day this three day weekend and in the afternoons last week. I've only had a single blue wing in the field and I'm starting to doubt that I really did see it. Either they will show up en masse as fields around me get water, or not at all. Two weeks remaining.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Dave, if you don't kill a mess of teal on that farm, I'll be flat amazed. Had a whole lot of teal fun there before Doug started leasing it out. There just aren't many anywhere, yet. But they're coming.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:00 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Dave, if you don't kill a mess of teal on that farm, I'll be flat amazed. Had a whole lot of teal fun there before Doug started leasing it out. There just aren't many anywhere, yet. But they're coming.

I don't doubt that in the least bit, Rick. We've had AWESOME hunts in those fields the last couple of years. I think it's that I've spent a lot of time out there this year in the off season and may be rushing things.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby neus0812 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Well if that video doesn't get you pumped up, then I don't know what will! I sure hope they are like that north of Welsh come two weeks!
neus0812
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Cropduster activity had all the big ducks run out of that spot this morning, but there was still a nice little bunch of teal sticking to it:

Rick Hall
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Nothing yesterday, probably watched a couple hundred work the fields this evening :biggrin:
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:11 am

One of our wood duck banding sites in the Port Barre area went from 50 bluewings on the bait a few days ago to nearly 1,100 yesterday. They're making their way.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:17 am

Good to hear.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby gulfcoastquacker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:42 pm

I wish we had the teal like that down here in South Lafourche. We hunt hard for our birds. It would make it a whole lot easier to get up in the mornings if we saw birds like that....nice videos.
If i dont get my limit of ducks.....I'll get my limit in my ice chest!!
gulfcoastquacker
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Would that that were what we see when the shooting's started.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:01 pm

Lreynolds wrote:One of our wood duck banding sites in the Port Barre area went from 50 bluewings on the bait a few days ago to nearly 1,100 yesterday. They're making their way.

Man, that sounds good.

Larry, I happened to catch the "DUCKumentary" the other night on LPB. I don't think the guy interviewing you was much into ducks, was he?
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:01 pm

D Comeaux wrote:Larry, I happened to catch the "DUCKumentary" the other night on LPB. I don't think the guy interviewing you was much into ducks, was he?

No, not very much. They (he and the producer) asked me what I thought of the planned discussion topics during the pledge breaks, which were focused on hunting licenses and hunter-education in 2 of the 3 segments. I suggested that since the "Duckumentary" was about the life-cycle of ducks, we should talk in one of the segments about the role Louisiana's wetland habitat plays in the migration and wintering stages of that life-cycle and what hunters and LDWF do to maintain that habitat.

But they thought that wouldn't be as interesting to their audience.

It was an interesting experience with virtually no preparation or coaching. I also kinda forgot that I was supposed to be pimping donations to LPB and not just providing information related to the program. They gave me some good-natured grief after he asked me to give the website, and I rattled off the LDWF website instead of the LPB web address where people could make pledges. :oops:

Still, the photography in that program was incredible!
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:43 am

Lreynolds wrote:
D Comeaux wrote:Larry, I happened to catch the "DUCKumentary" the other night on LPB. I don't think the guy interviewing you was much into ducks, was he?

No, not very much. They (he and the producer) asked me what I thought of the planned discussion topics during the pledge breaks, which were focused on hunting licenses and hunter-education in 2 of the 3 segments. I suggested that since the "Duckumentary" was about the life-cycle of ducks, we should talk in one of the segments about the role Louisiana's wetland habitat plays in the migration and wintering stages of that life-cycle and what hunters and LDWF do to maintain that habitat.

But they thought that wouldn't be as interesting to their audience.

It was an interesting experience with virtually no preparation or coaching. I also kinda forgot that I was supposed to be pimping donations to LPB and not just providing information related to the program. They gave me some good-natured grief after he asked me to give the website, and I rattled off the LDWF website instead of the LPB web address where people could make pledges. :oops:

Still, the photography in that program was incredible!

I thought you did a good job, you're a natural :lol3: and I did enjoy the program. You should get a weekly half hour show on LPB to cover all things duck. Like, spring nesting conditions to migration, tagging, etc. A yearly duck tracker. I know I'd watch it.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:30 am

Thanks for the kind words ....... but I clearly have a face, body, and hair-style for radio!

But that is a cool idea. Kind of a "what are ducks doing today" format.

I talked to a USFWS pilot from Lafayette that many of you probably know. He just returned from banding in Canada and said production seemed to be pretty good, and there were plenty of teal poised to move in this direction. On his drive south, he saw teal in many locations. This is the time of year when they are spread all up and down the flyway.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby jrodgers » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:41 pm

Rick- Are there any teal in the fields close to Lake Arthur?
jrodgers
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:19 am

Not nearly what we're accustomed to seeing at this time, but I've seen a few off the closest end of 717 to Lake Arthur, and the above video was off the Klondike end of it. Also reports of some just northwest of town and over in Thornwell.

Was in our marsh SE of Lake Arthur all day yesterday and saw just five mottleds in the morning and five woodies in the afternoon. A bit bummed by not seeing anything trafficking from the deep marsh to rice as we were coming out in the evening. (But more bummed by how little water's in the marsh.)
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby bean1187 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:17 am

Im stuck Ofshore also but have my sons watching the pond behind my house He said about 2 or 300 been hitting out pond near Iota everyday somedays more. My other pond is Between gueydan and Kaplan and they said there is plenty there. tehy said they were pilling in while they were at the blind looking at things This is a picture of the pond near Iota not reall good aint sure if you can see the birds in it but its loaded in the middle of it . My 16 and 13 year old been getting things ready Ill be home the 11th to finsh up for opening day
Attachments
NCM_0092.JPG
Iota Pond
bean1187
hunter

Postby Ducktamer1986 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:55 pm

U got some good boys man. DEFINATELY teaching them the right way to stay out of trouble.
Ducktamer1986
hunter

Postby bean1187 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:43 am

Thanks We get alot of compiments on them. You know when they were Little I use to have to make them get up come hunting and get the blinds ready. My wife said I would pay for that one day. Well its here because on some mornings when i just want to sleep or its raining sideways with a 40 mph wind I just don get up but now I have hands pulling at my feet telling me we running late I need to hurry. Ive tried telling them the weathers to bad but my words are coming back to haunt me . Now they telling me that ducks live in that stuff and we cant kill them if we dont get out there and hunt them. SO needless to say Im up and we In it. They have it way worst then i do But we spend everyday avalible hunting together. HELL EVEN MY WIFE IS HUNTING This year she said if its that fun she has to do it to
bean1187
hunter

Postby 12gauge05 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:44 am

Has anyone been to sabine refuge yet stuck here in Houston at work until the 12th and what makes it bad is both my hunting buddies are here with me just wondering if there are any birds down in that end of the world I have a blind on a private lease next to the refuge
L[color=#FFBF00]S[color=#400040]U[/color][/color]
12gauge05
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting